HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:01 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonh View Post
The Elevon mix is commonly use in flying wings where there are only the two control surfaces. Inputs come form the elevator stick and aileron stick. The "elevons" work in unison for pitch control (elevator) and in opposite direction for roll control (ailerons).

The Ailvator mix works in a similar way but is used on a plane with a two servo elevator setup (one servo for each half) AND a regular one or two aileron setup. This mix allows the elevator halves to move in unison (pitch) via the normal elevator stick inputs; but also move in opposite directions (roll) via the aileron stick input. I think some folks have also use the ailivator mix using the rudder as an input.

You see the ailivator mix in some of the jet planes... with those huge full flying dual elevators.

Dawson
Did you watch the vids I posted earlier ?? and the text explaining all this ?

Glad to see someone agrees with me ....

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Did you watch the vids I posted earlier ?? and the text explaining all this ?

Glad to see someone agrees with me ....

Nigel
Nigel

I did not watch the video; but I have seen jets using the ailivator mix. I am glad I got it right.

I have experimented with ailivators on my aerobatic gliders. It does seem to increase the roll rate (and maybe may the rolls a bit more axial). However most of my gliders are very light and cannot take the extra weight of the second elevator servo.

The other mix you mention, elevator to flap, AKA "snap flaps" is very useful for tightening up loops and hard banked turns... inside and outside. We use a similar mix... throttle stick to ailerons (flapperons) to give large reflex and camber to the wing during aerobatic and landing maneuvers.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:38 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,771 Posts
Ailvator on the 9x can also be used with a single elevator servo.
The end effect is like the Control Line stunt planes with the elevator function driving the ailerons either up or down to create very tight pitch changes.
The ailerons still function as ailerons under roll commands but can couple to the elevator function.

I use this on my Jerry's Little Boy for tight loops (5' radius) at slow speeds.

Beware. Not all airfoils respond the same way when dropping the ailerons! Some will pitch up... some will pitch down! Sneak up on this capability, carefully!
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jul 03, 2013, 04:30 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
Ailvator on the 9x can also be used with a single elevator servo.
The end effect is like the Control Line stunt planes with the elevator function driving the ailerons either up or down to create very tight pitch changes.
The ailerons still function as ailerons under roll commands but can couple to the elevator function.

I use this on my Jerry's Little Boy for tight loops (5' radius) at slow speeds.

Beware. Not all airfoils respond the same way when dropping the ailerons! Some will pitch up... some will pitch down! Sneak up on this capability, carefully!
Yes ... but you are only using 1 part of the mix .. dialling down the aileron part of elevator movement to zero.

I used to fly stunt C/L ... Kiel Kraft Radian ... had coupled flaps and elevator ... which is basically what you are creating ... ?? Flap-vators ? Eleflaps ? !!

The point about which way is valid ... my Radian had them operating opposite directions .. to increase lift on wing when elevator wanted pitch up.
But my F16 has them going both same direction ... because the aft edge of main wing is so far back.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife