HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Momme is a Japanese measurement of silk weight. It's so many grams per yard, I forgot what exactly.

I bought the silk from a tie dye supply shop along with the dyes, colored the silk, and then doped it on. I used 60:40 thinner to dope for the first part, and once the weave started to fill in I switched to 50:50 thinner:dope. Easy peasy! I used nitrate dope, for weight management and less shrinkage. There are a couple spots that I've been threatening to hit with some butyrate dope, because they refuse to tighten up. Mostly just the elevator, and no one will notice that being wrinkly at 90 MPH.
Wow - I'm impressed! Even did the tie dye yourself. I'm waaay impressed. Very, very nice job.

I looked for you at one point but the last I saw you were in the air - and then shortly later walking east.........and never saw you return. I figured that wasn't a good thing.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Awww, thanks.

East could have been two things: it could have been when I landed out in the corn field and I wantedto take a walk (instead of flagging down the tractor), or it could have been me going back to the shade tent we were sharing with Bruce, Aaron and Bob. Lots of goooood tips from those three.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
Hi guys,

I took this video during the 2012 Festival.

Visalia 2012 final (5 min 24 sec)

Hope you like it.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Nice!

What camera was that?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,587 Posts
Nice soundtrack Mike! (Hot 'Lanta)
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
Lil' Stinkpot,

The cam is a cheapo Vivatar DVR480 that I bought from Target.com for $30.00. It is not real small, but very easy to use. Gotta supply your own SD memory card. But I bought this one because of two things; the first is that is has a more narrow angle of view, like about 45 degrees. This equates to being less like a fisheye or wide angle lens which makes everything look small and far away. The narrow angle of view is much closer to how the human eye sees the world. Although humans do have very wide peripherals, they typically only see and pay attention to the narrow field of view in front of them. The second thing that attracted me was the camera mounts that come with the camera. You place the mount onto the host item, like the plane or your helmut, or whatever and then the camera clicks into the mount. For $30.00, it was a deal and it works great. I flew those videos with an Ogar 45 motor glider made by The Wings Maker and is an upcoming review article for Fly R/C Magazine. This is a 99 inch wingspan model with a pusher motor and as you can see, it makes a pretty steady camera platform and it simply does not feel the camera mounted on the top of the wing.

I did notice that when the video got uploaded to YouTube, the captions appear to float around. Nice effect, but I didn't ask for that. Might have ben because they sent me a message that "the video appears to shake. Would you like for us to correct it?" Maybe I'll say no, next time.

Thanks for the compliments!
Mike Lee
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
S2000,

Alright! An Allman Brothers Band fan! Thanks!

And do I assume you own an S2000? Love that car!

Mike
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Mike, I noticed that YouTube anti-shake thingee was going on. It makes the screen jump around a lot. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes... yeah.

$30 at Target, huh? I might try one for the car. I have one of those little key chain spycams, and it does really well for something the size and shape of a car remote.

I remember seeing the plane, and I liked it. Dory liked, too. It looked like fun.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:37 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,587 Posts
Mike, yes I own an S2000 and I am a huge Brothers fan, next time I see you we will talk about music! (And maybe gliders too!)
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:41 AM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
307 Posts
Finally posted the best 74 photos (out of 800+) from the FSF on www.rcsoaring.com.

Enjoy...

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:46 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Lil sighting! Next-to-last row, on the right.

I'll be back next year. Alas, bless his soul, the bestest ever timer in the world passed on, and won't be coming. He will be missed.

Also taken at Visalia:

Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:32 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Lil sighting! Next-to-last row, on the right.

I'll be back next year. Alas, bless his soul, the bestest ever timer in the world passed on, and won't be coming. He will be missed.

Also taken at Visalia:

So sorry to hear of your loss. I remember seeing you two several times at the contest.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:01 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
He was happy wherever we were, because I was there. He did enjoy timing for me, and was perfectly happy fetching my missed landings.

Well, here's to another good soaring year. I already have the Gentle Lady muddied up and flying fine. Maybe Dory will reach out and give me a boost from time to time.