HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 06:23 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
Discussion
The june big sky longest duration contest for all electric launched gliders

THE JUNE BIG SKY LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC LAUNCHED GLIDERS -THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING

Contest will run from 12:01 am June 1 to 11:59 PM June 30 Eastern US time.

The contest is for ALL electric launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.

Up until now this has been for foam gliders and the pilots have put up some impressive times. So now we open this to all e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.

You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.

Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor. I expect to see themal times in excess of 30 minutes and slope times in excess of an hour. But you are welcome to post any flight time you wish. Get your name on the list and be famous!

RULES
Rules about the planes:

* Any electric motor system
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction

BIG SKY - THERMAL SOARING

1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 45 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.

2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 45 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.

3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.

4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.

5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.

6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.

7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.

8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING

1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift. I have one site like this.

2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.

3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.

4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.

5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.

6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.

7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.

8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.

For either contest you report the results via post.

Report Format:

Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name:
Thermal or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:

Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures are welcome but not required.

I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.

THREAD CONTENT -

This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only. Take your general comments, questions, photos, videos and the like to the other threads. They will be deleted from this thread.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; May 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 06:24 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
Thermal

Forest Flyer
Plane: Art Hobby High Aspect 3.1 M. AXI 2820/10, 12x6 prop, 3S 2600 lipo.
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: June 11, 1:45 pm. 80 F, pt. cloudy, wind W 8 - 12 mph.
Duration of flight: 55 minutes, 23 seconds (on a 20 second climb)

Brian Walker
Stock radian except for the added flaps.
Thermal
Sat jun 04 8:00 am
Weather 70ish light winds
47 mins 19 second... (20 second motor run) hand catch
Portervilles pa (cheeseman farms)

Your Name - Jumpy Sticks
Glider/plane name:Radian Pro
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 6/4/11 11:34 am
Duration of flight: 45:47

Belem
Roseville, CA
Radian
6/25 12:00 - 1:30
Long flight 34:30

Your Name - maxwellmark
Glider/plane name: Phase3 Phoenix II
Date and Time of flight: 6/5/11 10:00 am
Duration of flight: 19:38

Adrian Adamson
Plane: Reichard Maxx
Thermal duration
Time: 10 AM
Duration: 18:05
Motor run: 20 seconds
Wind: 0-5 mph
Temperature: 75, sunny

Hance
Grace Idaho
Radian non pro (thermal)
Two in the afternoon
15:30 flight.

Brian Walker
Plane: art hobby castor 2.5 meter art 1700 motor.. 14x7 prop
Date : june 18. 2 pm temps in the mid 80s light wind
time; 11.05 24 second motor run
Sparta Michigan
this was my fourth flight with this plane so im very happy with this result.

Your Name - Robert Hubbard
Glider/plane name: Radian Pro
Date and Time of flight:14 Jun 11, 0945
Duration of flight: 11:05

Tim Lynch
Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Thermal
June 1, 3:00 PM
Duration - 10:26
Max Altitude - 1436' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, upper 80's, winds 13 mph
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

Your Name - Wayne aka Windependence
Glider/plane name: Radian
Date and Time of flight: Saturday June 18th, around 11:00am
Duration of flight: 8 min 36 sec

Name: w0pya Larry
E-Glider Radian Pro
Thermal
June 11,2011 (12:20 pm cdt)
motor run:20 seconds
Best Duration:6:18
Omaha, Nebraska

Your Name - Jumpy Sticks
Glider/plane name: Radian Pro
Thermal or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight:6/19/11, 3:20 pm
Duration of flight: 2:32
92 degrees, Southwest Winds 15-20 mph-gusty.

Slope
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 27, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:18 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
404 Posts
First Entry!

Tim Lynch
Graupner Elektro Junior S - with Thermal Scout & Eagle Tree Altimeter
Thermal
June 1, 3:00 PM
Duration - 10:26
Max Altitude - 1436' AGL
Weather - partly cloudy, upper 80's, winds 13 mph
Sportsplex @ Coral Springs, FL

Much better conditions than yesterday. I'm still learning how to stay in lift and climb effectively in a thermal. I am also realizing that I need to recognize & stay out of sink areas.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:10 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
I plan on getting a bunch of flights in tomorrow with the radian. I setup the eagle tree data logger in the radian to log throttle, altitude, current draw and voltage. It should give us some nice graphs of climb rate for a stock radian. Besides when I whip all the high dollar moldies with my cheap foamie I will have graphic proof of it
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:39 AM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Brian Walker
Thermal

What a perfect day . I had to bring her down from out of sight to about 600 feet then do it again. According to my hi-tec live alt reader at one point I was 2459 up in the air.. The only reason I came down was because I had to get ready to go kayaking on slippery rock creek at 930 am. I could have stayed up forever. I was out of the river what a ride.. I need to vacation with my toys more often...
I could have stayed
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Jun 04, 2011, 10:06 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
Brian Walker
Thermal

What a perfect day . I had to bring her down from out of sight to about 600 feet then do it again. According to my hi-tec live alt reader at one point I was 2459 up in the air.. The only reason I came down was because I had to get ready to go kayaking on slippery rock creek at 930 am. I could have stayed up forever. I was out of the river what a ride.. I need to vacation with my toys more often...
I could have stayed
Nice flight ! I have had my radian up slightly higher than that and they are a spec up that high for sure.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:55 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
No time now, but I will try to get the times posted tonight.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:05 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Your Name - Jumpy Sticks

A great day for thermaling. A bit hot at near 90, calm and cloudless. Hazy and very humid.
I also could have gone longer but I lost concentration. There was a nearly continuous chimney thermal above the parking lot which I flew into and out of several times. It was not violent, just a gentle riser. Did a lot of playing around with this one. I got thirsty and the haze began to play with my eyes, like snow blindness even with good sun glasses.
Back in the day I never timed flights, but I would never have had the patience in younger years to fly that long.
Which makes this flight my personal best!
Nice looking kmz file for the record.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jun 04, 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added KMZ Zip file.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
Looking good gentlemen. Any of those would be flights I would be pleased to post.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:59 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,787 Posts
Ouch! I just started construction of my 1.5M Skimmer June 2nd! This should keep me in the shop
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jun 05, 2011, 07:13 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,453 Posts
I gave it a shot yesterday and found a few small thermals but nothing decent. The thermals I did find were so small that you almost can't turn the radian tight enough to stay in them. I had a couple of flights in the tenish minute range but don't have an exact time so I can't post them.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:08 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Your Name - Jumpy Sticks
Wow great flight.. I'm glad someone else had the perfect morning. Great flight..
Next time i post will be with my Big 2.5 Art hobby castor...
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Thanks Brian.
Back atcha!

Next attempt I'm bringing a lawn chair....and some water.
Watch out!
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:55 PM
Bakersfield, California
Joined Jan 2007
253 Posts
Your Name - maxwellmark
Glider/plane name: Phase3 Phoenix II
Date and Time of flight: 6/5/11 10:00 am
Duration of flight: 19:38

Went out to fly with a local club. SSJSS but nobody showed up. Must have been a competition in Fresno, so I just flew anyway. The school is south of town surrounded by farmland. Thermals were great. I had a flight much longer than this one but I didn't set my timer. I was playing around with low thermals to see how long I could hang on. I found one that seemed endless. It got so high I could hardly see it. At one point I did lose site of it as my eyes focused on a scratch on my sunglasses. For a second I panicked but then I caught the planes movement and brought her down. I was shaking. I got to get one of those altimeter devices, and a camera!
maxwellmark is offline Find More Posts by maxwellmark
Old Jun 06, 2011, 06:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
ohh this does sound like fun. gotta get a new servo for my radian pro and then ill pop up the slope. i guestimate my best flight at about 1 and a half hours on the slope and that was with a flying wing...
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred