HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Discussion
FMS Mini P-40 (800mm)

Hi there guys, I couldn't find a thread for these so thought I'd put one up myself. Thought it might help with anyone thinking of buying one, not to mention setup and modifications to get it flying 100%. To start off here is the HobbyKing (where I bought mine) review of it. Its the traditional impression/flight/review format and isn't bad IMO.

HobbyKing - Mini P40 Brushless ARF Airplane (4 min 26 sec)

Anyway, to start off with I'll say that my progress with this (as with all of my planes) is documented in my blog. It will also be updated here with any relevant findings etc as I progress with it.

Right now I've built it up from the box and think its a reasonably built plane - construction seems sturdy and it certainly looks good. Some minor irritations I found:

1) the ESC will not recognise a 3-cell lipo and will only run on two-cell.
2) the stock prop seems like overkill for the stock powertrain (its an 8.5x9!)
3) the servo 'hole' for the optional rudder servo is filled in, but easily opened up

Apart from those issues I can't fault the plane at all. I've gotta say that the canopy system is very easy to use as it lets you get right at the receiver, servos and battery very quickly and without tools. Why can't more planes be like that?

Here are some pictures:

The receiver is a 2.4ghz OrangeRX and I've fitted an 8x3.8 prop (which I plan on painting black) as I think its more suited to the powertrain. It works quite well on 2s lipos - it feels as though the plane has right around a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio. I plan to modify it a bit more and see if I can't shoe-horn a 3-cell capable ESC and 3s 1000mAh battery in there, although this may neccessitate swapping out to a 7x5 prop.

Thats all for now, stay tuned for the maiden flight report!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:13 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
very cool! I just picked up an Airfield 800mm P-40 too. Should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how your maiden flight goes.
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:58 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Good to hear, impostor. Heres my maiden flight:

FMS Mini P-40 from HobbyKing (6 min 35 sec)

If you've just watched that, the bit at the end was caused by my ESC-to-receiver wire being pulled out by the battery. The lead goes through the battery compartment and must have been pulled out by the battery moving around during flight. Damage is minor - the tail came off but can easily be reglued. I'm amazed at how resilient this thing is.

Other advice I could give prospective owners is to immediately weight your nose with about 1oz/30g of lead. I'm currently using six Jarvis Walker 'Number 1' lead fishing sinkers which weigh about 4g each and are held in place on the cowl with blu-tack.

Other than the issues above the plane flies pretty well on the stock setup - there is enough power and speed to have some good fun, and the flight is closer to scale than I expected. Takeoff from the ground is tricky so I just hand launched. It likes a very forceful lauch at about a 30 degree angle upwards. I'd also advise giving ailerons max throw via the linkages (move pins to inner holes on aileron horns) as the stock position is pretty weak.

The flight feels rather 'heavy' and you need to keep your speed up, but is otherwise pretty good and perfectly suited to what it is - a warbird. It does lack power for some more advanced aerobatics and this could be remedied by converting to three-cell operation. To do this you would need to swap out the ESC and change the prop to an 8x4 or thereabouts. I've found that Zippy 3s 1000mAh batteries will juuuust fit in the stock compartment so you could use those for power if you want longer flight times.

Thats all for now, more as it happens.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:52 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Good advice there boink. I also seem to remember people having to weight down the front end to get the plane to balance and fly right. What battery are you using right now?

Btw, I can't view your video from the US for some reason. I get a message saying "This video contains contents from WMG, who blocked it on copyright grounds."
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:09 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Jerks. I'll. Modify it so there's no music. Its 'Flying Sorcery' by Al Stewart from his 1973 album, cuts in as I get it flying right. Oh well.

I'm using a Turnigy 800 2s lipo. It gives reasonable performance with the stock prop and motor without even getting warm.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:19 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
BoingK,

I am sorry, I did not realize that you had started a thread on this machine (I was getting the impression that I was the only one who had bought one) so I started another thread (only a few hours later-thank you to Imposter for pointing this out).

I think that one will just fade (and should as you started this one first).

After reading your comments, I know why my ESC would not arm!

Good flying little airplane!

"I recently acquired the small FMS/Airfield P-40. It arrived complete and intact and took a very short time to assemble. The rudder is made so that one can make it operational (including supplying a pushrod and control horn for it). I don't like flying without a working rudder so I installed a servo for it.

The only issue with the machine was that the ESC was not functional-the BEC portion worked, but no amount of tinkering with endpoints or reversing the throttle channel, or anything else I could think of, would arm it.

A CC Phoenix 18 was installed which has worked well so far. I am using a 3S, 1300 mah Lipo. The ship is very slightly nose heavy (which I prefer).

The plane had more than enough power to take off from very short grass and was quite fast. It required down trim, right aileron trim, and right rudder trim (not too much of each). It rolls flat and snaps well in both directions (although it snaps a bit faster to the right). It recovers from a snap instantly when one lets off the sticks. It does feel like one could get into a high speed stall and snap it accidentally, but it did not do so, even with my poor flying.

It slows down much better than I thought it would (or should) based on the fairly small wing and other reports on the forum. It was a bit "floatier" on approach than I had expected (which was a pleasant surprise). There was no tendency to snap when slowing down for a landing. I did bring it in under low power, not with a cut throttle.

The motor is a bit noisy, but not overly so.

All in all, a very nice (very cheap) little airplane. It will probably get slightly larger wheels for taking off and landing on grass. "
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Hi there guys, I couldn't find a thread for these so thought I'd put one up myself.
Cheers - boingk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
...so I started another thread (only a few hours later-thank you to Imposter for pointing this out).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259209

D
69SuperBee is offline Find More Posts by 69SuperBee
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:36 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
There's a lot of knowledge in that Nitro thread too, but it's about all the birds.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
I put two more flights on it this morning. The more I fly it, the more I like it. I have been slowing it down more and it will slow down quite a bit before it tip stalls on landing. When the stall does occur, the left tip drops, but very slowly-a little power and a bit of down elevator if necessary, will allow you to pick the wing back up again.

The machine could stand a bit of down thrust, as it wants to increase the angle of attack as more throttle is added. I will probably put some Throttle-Elevator mix in to correct this (again, mine turned out a bit nose heavy, so, in my case, it is not a balance issue).

I am really glad that I installed the rudder servo as the rudder response is very good on this airplane.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:06 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
Thanks for the link SuperBee, some very good info in that thread.

Clem - no worries about posting another thread, I've found things move very quickly on these boards! I also found the bird to climb under power and be surprisingly docile to land. What prop are you using for 3-cell?

Anyway, I had to replace a servo on the wing of my '40 the other day. The one that was in there wasn't giving full throws and on inspection it appeared to have stripped 2 teeth on the main large arm gear. I swapped out the HXT900 I had in the rudder position and replaced it with that - instant fix. In retrospect it may have been causing lacklustre roll-rate from the get-go.

I should have time to fly it in the next day or two so will let know how it goes.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
"What prop are you using for 3-cell?"

I am running the prop that came with it. I reset the timer this morning-now getting 10 minute flights-I forget how many mills I used, but not up to 80%.

The motor does not seem to be warm, so far.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Yay!!! My P-40 Flying Tiger arrived today. Question for you guys. I'd like to be able to take the wing off for transport in my car. Do I HAVE to glue the wing on? Can I secure the wing with the 2 screws only?

Check out the nose. Looks like they already cut out the hole for airflow.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,921 Posts
I wonder how a stock 1950kv motor from a Jpower/skyangel mini warbird would do in there. It moves out the Skyangel models with authority (100+mph rare bears on 4s!)...and this FMS model is much better looking than the upcoming Skyangel p-40...
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:42 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,121 Posts
I don't see why you would need to take the airplane down for car transport, I simply put it nose-down in the passenger footwell or rear seat footwell. Hell, I transport my 38" planes in the car without taking the wings off.

You can secure with 2 screws only, but you will need to attach and reattach the servo connections each time you remove the wing.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
"Can I secure the wing with the 2 screws only?"

I did not glue the wing on. It did not make any sense to me to do so. I bolted it on and so far, so good.