HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
I am about 90 percent done building my Multiplex Fun Cub. My manual says the CG should be at 3.1" or 80mm not 60mm from what I am reading from the room forum......is this a misprint or what should the CG actually be then?
tenrozzero is offline Find More Posts by tenrozzero
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
13 Posts
ok i tested on the msc and it works fine it ends up sinking in and holding strong but thats on z-foam so still dont know bout elapor
sc10pc is offline Find More Posts by sc10pc
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
13 Posts
the cg from all the forums ive read says 60-70mm aft
sc10pc is offline Find More Posts by sc10pc
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro View Post
I just received mine from Tower Hobbies last week. They have it, just search for "Fun Cub"
wholesaletrains.com seems to have them in stock all the time as well
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:45 PM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Todays funcub

I've been experimenting with a gyro on the funcub's ailerons today in an effort to get it stable enough in a stiff breeze to take a spot of onboard video.
Wind was about 15mph from the south the camera is an 808 #11 and this flight was without the giro.

Closed Cafe Funcub (4 min 3 sec)

There'll be another video to come in the morning (still uploading) with the giro in rate mode with gain set at 30%

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10pc View Post
ok ordered her today and can not wait so i went with all the electronics i listed earlier minus the esc and radio. i now have an 9ch fly sky that i can mix channels and has memeory and than as to the esc i went with a turnigy plush 60a esc. so i can not wait! hey on a side note i had my dad pick me up some glue called duco cement and i wanted to know if any of you guys have used it for anything reall and will it work on the elapor? thanks, Chris
Best advice is to use what is know to work well, and pick up a bottle of medium CA and some kicker for it.
It holds perfectly, and the medium cures slow enough without kicker to position the big parts together.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:08 AM
Australia, VIC, Lara
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
Very nice paint job indeed! What paint did you use?
Bluey_65 is offline Find More Posts by Bluey_65
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:24 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Trying out an aileron gyro in rate mode (with 30% gain) on a funcub in an attempt to increase the wind speed at which I can still produce usable video. I wasn't too happy with the result of this test. When flown very slowly and up to the funcub's natural cruising speed it really does help but as airspeed increases towards the plane's maximum speed pretty bad wing wobble sets in and you'd wind up producing better video with the gyro turned off. I need to play around with gain settings and aileron thows some more and I've still to try running the gyro in heading hold mode but I'm planning at flying it off water at the weekend so further experiments will have to wait.

Funcub rate mode aileron gyro test (8 min 57 sec)
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
I had 500 flights recorded on Funcub number one, i then sold it on Ebay for virtually what it cost me to build. Then yesterday i passed flight number 300 on Funcub number two.

What a fantastic general purpose and strong plane these Funcubs are, and what great flyers, without doubt my favourite plane of all time.
Shepski is offline Find More Posts by Shepski
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
I cant take it any more.... I saw the FC about a year ago and have been reading this thread and watching all the videos ever since. I had and have several differant planes but none seem to be the right fit for me........I'M ORDERING ONE Today
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:23 AM
USA, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey_65 View Post
Very nice paint job indeed! What paint did you use?
Just some rattle can stuff I found at the home center. This foam they use you paint them with just about anything.
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2010
119 Posts
A simple Funcub Flight.

FunCub RC from Multiplex (2 min 11 sec)
adioperator is offline Find More Posts by adioperator
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
Gravity Test in Progress
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jul 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC everything View Post
Duco -For wood, metal, china, ceramics, glass and hard plastics

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1798298

Test it first on a spare piece of foam and see how it holds and all before building the plane with it.
there is a controversy going on about the "right" glue to use on Elapor.
Multiplex says in their instructions to use CA. it works great, though a bit too fast for me.
Multiplex states clearly "that while the glues/epoxies looks like they hold, they only give a "superficial bond" or something very similar to those words.
I am using a 90 minute epoxy on some areas of mine and so far it is working good.
You hear and see guys using 5 minute epoxy to repair parts broken during a crash and it works great.
I am thinking that the mold release agent is causing some problems in letting the glues and epoxies attach themselves to the Elapor.
CA's may be able to dissolve the release agents??? I'm no chemist by any means, just thinking out loud and from what I've seen. Why is it 5 min. epoxy works to repair a FC - is it because the sections being glued have broken off and there is no release agent where the parts have cracked? I haven't sanded any parts when I've used the CA, but do for the epoxy.

Do your test with the Ducco, but try it on a section not sanded and on a section where you have sanded it in preparation just to see if removing the mold release agent makes a difference.
Just my opinion.
.Steve is offline Find More Posts by .Steve
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,132 Posts
i feel it depends on how you beat on the plane......which I don't. it's a lazy flyer, float in the wind sorta plane
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:07 PM
Jedi Knight
Ireland
Joined Jun 2009
91 Posts
Yes as .Steve has stated in a much more informative manner....test first
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Steve View Post
there is a controversy going on about the "right" glue to use on Elapor.
Multiplex says in their instructions to use CA. it works great, though a bit too fast for me.
Multiplex states clearly "that while the glues/epoxies looks like they hold, they only give a "superficial bond" or something very similar to those words.
I am using a 90 minute epoxy on some areas of mine and so far it is working good.
You hear and see guys using 5 minute epoxy to repair parts broken during a crash and it works great.
I am thinking that the mold release agent is causing some problems in letting the glues and epoxies attach themselves to the Elapor.
CA's may be able to dissolve the release agents??? I'm no chemist by any means, just thinking out loud and from what I've seen. Why is it 5 min. epoxy works to repair a FC - is it because the sections being glued have broken off and there is no release agent where the parts have cracked? I haven't sanded any parts when I've used the CA, but do for the epoxy.

Do your test with the Ducco, but try it on a section not sanded and on a section where you have sanded it in preparation just to see if removing the mold release agent makes a difference.
Just my opinion.
RC everything is offline Find More Posts by RC everything