HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 21, 2013, 09:17 AM
Registered User
e3 Scott's Avatar
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I hate rain!

So I spent all last night getting all the decals done, and the rain decided to stick around this morning (was supposed to clear up last night). So no video today. I will get some tomorrow or Monday though.

In the meantime, here's a few pics. Tomas, I'll get some better ones for your website. It was cloudy out when I took these, and I will get better ones in the next few days. Even some airborne shots too.

I guess I can't curse the rain too much seeing as we haven't had any in 3 months.

Pat
Pat -

I'm up in Canada, do you know of a good online source where I could buy that decal transfer paper?

Cheers,

Scott
e3 Scott is offline Find More Posts by e3 Scott
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2013, 04:26 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Scott,

Wow, that post is a blast from the past! I still remember that day too.

I get my decal paper from www.beldecal.com. I'm sure they ship to Canada. I get the LaserJet kind as you don't have to put on a protective finish afterwards.

My "Tips & Techniques" thread stickied in this forum has more details.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
Registered User
e3 Scott's Avatar
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Scott,

Wow, that post is a blast from the past! I still remember that day too.

I get my decal paper from www.beldecal.com. I'm sure they ship to Canada. I get the LaserJet kind as you don't have to put on a protective finish afterwards.

My "Tips & Techniques" thread stickied in this forum has more details.

Pat

I checked the website and they do ship to Canada, little more expensive, but such is life...

Thanks Pat, will that paper work OK for me even if I have an inkjet printer?

Cheers,

Scott
e3 Scott is offline Find More Posts by e3 Scott
Last edited by e3 Scott; May 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: wanted to add more text
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 12:08 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Scott,

They have paper for both LaserJet (and photo copiers and ALPS printers, anything that uses toner versus ink), and InkJet. Get the InkJet version if that's all you have access too (I bought a color Laser just for this reason, and the toner lasts much longer than ink catridges), but you will then need to purchase a protectant to prevent the ink from running. I think Testors sells a spray can of decal protectant, or maybe you can use something like water-based poly, but I don't know for sure.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:15 PM
Registered User
e3 Scott's Avatar
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Scott,

They have paper for both LaserJet (and photo copiers and ALPS printers, anything that uses toner versus ink), and InkJet. Get the InkJet version if that's all you have access too (I bought a color Laser just for this reason, and the toner lasts much longer than ink catridges), but you will then need to purchase a protectant to prevent the ink from running. I think Testors sells a spray can of decal protectant, or maybe you can use something like water-based poly, but I don't know for sure.

Pat
Thanks, Pat, I think I have some water based spray varathane handy that I can try.

Cheers,

Scott
e3 Scott is offline Find More Posts by e3 Scott
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:44 PM
Registered User
vadersvette's Avatar
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Feb 2013
47 Posts
Wow! RCGroups certainly doesn't keep these threads listed very long if they are inactive for a couple of months, do they. It was difficult to locate this one; and the last post was May 22,2013. Lack of storage space?

First thing to do for me is to download the plans and bookmark this thread for future reference.

And a big THANKS to tomhe for the plans and all he has done for the hobby.
vadersvette is offline Find More Posts by vadersvette
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Another good resource for all of tomhe's plans is:

rc.tomhe.net (no "www")

All his stuff (plans, pics, links to threads here) is there.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:32 AM
Registered User
vadersvette's Avatar
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Feb 2013
47 Posts
Thanks, Pat....
I'll bookmark rc.tomhe.net also...
In the meantime I think I'll download all his plans and keep them in my "to do" folder. He really has contributed a lot to this forum for sure.
And I have appreciated reading all your comments, Pat....they have been very helpful to me.
vadersvette is offline Find More Posts by vadersvette
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:22 AM
POLAND
RAFALR30's Avatar
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
I used washing technique in my F-18E.
Evening fly with lights

F18E Super Hornet - evening fly with lights (4 min 58 sec)
RAFALR30 is offline Find More Posts by RAFALR30
Last edited by RAFALR30; Sep 10, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:31 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Tina,

Thanks for the great pics! I've really missed flying with you guys. If you make Saturday's a habit at the new field, that would be great!


Jim,

I also seem to recall sneaking up on Gary from behind, then screaming off in front of him. I wonder if that came out on film. Thomas said he could see me in frame in the goggles.


I've been asked before which of the tomhe planes I like the best, and the F-18 wins hands down. I've got F-22 #2 in the air now, and even though it's more manueverable, the F-18 is more stable and faster. But they're all a blast to fly!

Pat

Pat,
I'm on my second Tomhe build, the 1st was the F22 (and my 1st foam build). I had a blast for about 5/6 minutes I was taking it through its paces. Barrel rolls, loops, yank and bank until I lost signal and it took a nose dive and it disintegrated . I am currently building the F18. But I will definitely build another F22. You mentioned F18 for speed and F22 for maneuverability. I was considering doing the MIG29 (and the F35) after the F18. Have you built the MIG29 or F35? Is it worth the time or are they similar enough to the F18/F22 in performance. My 1st F22 was ugly!,but flew great! LOL, the F18 is coming out a lot nicer. Just wondering if the performances are similiar should I stick to the F18/F22 and improve on my building skills/technics.

Damian.
DAMIANG is offline Find More Posts by DAMIANG
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Damian,

I've built them all, and even designed a few myself. After 6 years of flying pusher jets, here's how I rank them:

F-22 - Best overall performance, most fun to fly.

F-18 - Great flier, fast and pretty manueverable. Not as good as the F-22.

Mig-29 - In between the F-22 and F-18. It was actually my first ever pusher jet.

Eurofighter - The most stable of them all. Great for an entry level pusher jet. Still fun to fly though.

There's a Saab Draken in the forum made be vleisie. It is the fastest of them all at around 75-80mph top speed. Great looking profile in the air.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:44 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Damian,

I've built them all, and even designed a few myself. After 6 years of flying pusher jets, here's how I rank them:

F-22 - Best overall performance, most fun to fly.

F-18 - Great flier, fast and pretty manueverable. Not as good as the F-22.

Mig-29 - In between the F-22 and F-18. It was actually my first ever pusher jet.

Eurofighter - The most stable of them all. Great for an entry level pusher jet. Still fun to fly though.

There's a Saab Draken in the forum made be vleisie. It is the fastest of them all at around 75-80mph top speed. Great looking profile in the air.

Pat
THANKS FOR THE INFO PAT,

I am definitely going back to build another F22 after the F18. Now you have me thinking about the Eurofighter for my 13 yr old son. He has only flown my Bixler 2 I am trying to get him into the hobby with the foamies maybe some combat will get his attention? His free time goes to the dam XBOX 360 / Call of duty. I cant complain he is a straight A student, but want to get him out of the house for some fresh air. LOL.
DAMIANG is offline Find More Posts by DAMIANG
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 10:42 PM
Ich Fliege
goebelmj's Avatar
United States, TX, Texas City
Joined Sep 2013
110 Posts
Ready For Maiden!!

Thanks to tomhe and his great plans I have completed my F/A-18 and am ready for a maiden flight. I'm a sport flyer so I didn't add ailerons. Now if the weather will just give me a break...

Thanks again tomhe for the outstanding plans!

Mike
goebelmj is offline Find More Posts by goebelmj
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 08:02 PM
Ich Fliege
goebelmj's Avatar
United States, TX, Texas City
Joined Sep 2013
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebelmj View Post
Thanks to tomhe and his great plans I have completed my F/A-18 and am ready for a maiden flight. I'm a sport flyer so I didn't add ailerons. Now if the weather will just give me a break...

Thanks again tomhe for the outstanding plans!

Mike
Got a couple of maiden flights in today, wow great flyer!! Fast as a bullet but slows nicely for a soft landing. She pulled a great loop but struggled with a spin at 50% rates. I'm going to increase the rates and add expo to see what she'll do next time out. I'm a general sport flyer so snappy aerobatics is not critical for me.

Used the modified prop slot design from Otto Dieffenbach and it made a huge difference, considerable reduction in noise.

Great parkjet, highly recommended!!
goebelmj is offline Find More Posts by goebelmj
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-18 Super Hornet ParkJet RCParkflyer Pusher Prop Jet Models 19 Jun 02, 2007 11:34 PM
Sold F-18 Super Hornet papamac Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Feb 09, 2006 04:39 AM
6mmFlyRC's EDF 135% F-18E Super Hornet CBflyguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 8 Sep 13, 2005 09:37 AM
EAM F-18 Super Hornet- I'm scared!!! ttnissan Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Jun 16, 2003 04:00 PM
EJF - press releases, ejets.tv, F-18 ARF, F-18 Super Hornet for 90 mm EDF Robert Wagoner Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Jun 24, 2002 12:11 PM