SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:10 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
322 Posts
Discussion
Foilers

Foilers planning on using forward wands check this video from a Moth.
I am avoiding the problem by having the foils in a trunk outside the hull on the inside and the wand on the other side of the hull or outside.

Wand/foil interferance, Waterloo Bay 2013-06-02 (1 min 51 sec)
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:24 AM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
312 Posts
The Moth guys have found a ventilation problem when the single wand is too close to the centerline since their wand is forward of the main foil. Bradfields arrangement always kept the wand away from the foils.
On the cat I'm building,I'm installing trunks that will allow me to use T-foils canted about 20 degrees , or straight "Bradfield type" t-foils.
I've decided also to use only a single centered rudder foil since, initially, the set up will be very similar to the F3-just narrower. I'm also convinced the use of UptiP foils is probably too costly on a cat whether it's 51" or 62" both in money terms and workload terms.I did a lot of work to see exactly whats involved to make an UptiP foil work well on a model and I'm back to wands for good. Except on a tri where the UptiP foil works with no adjustment or maybe just an on-the-beach change of AOI when the wind picks up-it's the perfect ama foil!
A retractable wand controlled windward foil would be close to just as fast w/o any rake adjust. Even w/o a retractable windward foil, when a power ballast system is used the windward wand controlled foil would automatically neutralize.
Are you going to use one or two rudder's?

Rave and Osprey wand setups(Bradfield):
DLord is online now Find More Posts by DLord
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:37 AM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
322 Posts
One rudder for me.
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA