HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:19 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
755 Posts
Help!
Crius AIO Pro based TriCopter losing ESC power during flight

This afternoon I finished putting together a Y-3 Fibreglass TriCopter - the one that HobbyKing sells.

I'm running an RCTimer Crius AIO V2 board with a Neo-6M GPS unit.
ESC is a Hobbywing Quattro 25A with one of the ESC channels unused. 1000KV 2212 motors, 9047 props. Turnigy S306G-HV tail servo. Power to the board is via the Quattro's BEC.

It took a little while to get the ESC wiring (to the board) working so that the tail servo would respond. Pins D3, D5 and D6 for tail, front right and front left motors respectively, and D11 for the servo (it wouldn't work in any other location). BEC feeds D6. I use a lead from D7 to power the Crius add-on board to which the GPS (and sometimes telemetry) is connected.

Radio is a new FrSky Taranis with a D8R-II Plus telemetry receiver.

Software is MWC 2.3, with totally stock PIDs.

During my first test flight (25C 2200mAH 3S LiPo) it would constantly lose power to ALL the motors for a split second - but would usually touch down before it recovered (I was keeping the altitude super-low just in case). It loses power randomly too - never at the same time or same throttle position. Motors, ESC and battery weren't hot after the short attempt (only about 4 minutes before I gave up).

All the electrics are proven parts from a previous quad build that didn't inspire me enough to keep together. Probably the only real difference is the fact that i'm using 3 of the 4 ESCs in the Quattro to power this tri, and that it's running tail servo.

I haven't tried re-calibrating the ESC just yet but will do so - this time on the 3 used channels.

Outside of calibration, the only other thing I could think of was a suspect MINTHROTTLE setting (currently 1100) or perhaps the servo is messing with the PWM flow to the other motor outputs.

Any ideas where to look? I'm scared of taking it any higher than a foot or two for fear of it coming crashing down into a pile of broken fibreglass shards.
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:15 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
755 Posts
"Nailed" it...well, not sure of the exact reason, but uncommenting #define HWPWM6, and changing the refresh rate of the servo to 160Hz (from 300Hz) and it solved the issue.

Earlier I had tried HWPWM6 by itself, and had also messed around to move the yaw servo back to pin 2, but no dice.

Wasn't until I set the refresh rate down (which I though was weird since this is a digital servo...maybe the fact that i'm only feeding it 4.8v is the issue?) that it behaved. Not sure now if HWPWM6 is required, but i'll leave it in there.

Now to tickle the PIDs (it flies quite nicely on stock PIDs though). And to decide on a final motor/prop combo. The 1000KV 2212's with 9047 Gemfans needs a bit over 50% for hover, and the punch-out is a bit weak. Dunno if I want to risk the ESC by going to 10" props, or if I swap out the motors to 1400KV spinning 8"-ers?

All part of the adventure I guess!
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist