SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:10 PM
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jun 2013
48 Posts
Discussion
DX7s mixing help!

This radio is driving me insane.

The potentiometer knob for Aux2 controls the pitch on my gimbal, that was easy. I'd like it so when I flip one of the switches, Aux2 goes to a set value so the gimbal pitches straight down regardless of the knob. This is extremely simple to do on my Turnigy 9x with open9x, what am I doing wrong?

In mixing I go to Mix 1 and there's a field xxx > xxx , where you can select different channels or KNB and INH for each. What do these do? I have them both set to AX2 because I am using every other channel and do not want to mix another channel, just a switch.

I get the rate and offset stuff, then at the bottom there's Trim and Sw. I understand Trim should be to ACT so it's always on, I want Sw to Mix1 so that when the Mix switch is on 1, the channel goes to a fixed offset. I think in open9x, this is "replace"

Any help on this would be much appreciated. It seems like this should be simple.
NUTSgoWEEE is offline Find More Posts by NUTSgoWEEE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 01:52 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,059 Posts
I don't have the DX7s, but have played with most Spektrum radios.
If you mix Aux2 > Aux2, -100% each way, switch your choice, that should lock the Aux2 output (gimbal) in a fixed central position.
The Offset function will then set it to any other position (say -100%, or straight down), with still no effect from the knob.
I use a version of this mix to kill the throttle on radios that don't have a dedicated kill switch/function.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSgoWEEE View Post
...snip... It seems like this should be simple.
It is you just need to understand what mixing is.

XXXX > XXXX - This is your Master Input (can be channels or switches and in other Tx can also be Sequencers and other stuff) > Slave Output.

Rates: ###% ###% - Tis is the mixing rates for each direction of travel R/L or U/D
Offset: Is the center point of the mix
Trim: This is to allow the Master Input's Trim function to also trim the slave, for example if you had an Aileron to Rudder mix with Trim: Act that means any Aileron trim used will also affect the Rudder. If Trim: is left to Inh then Aileron trimming will NOT affect the Rudder.

Sw/Switch: is the controlling input of the mix itself, changing it from always ON to a switch allows you to switch your created mix On/Off.

Like mentioned in the previous post for what you want to do a simple

Aux2>Aux2
Rates: -100% -100%
Offset: ### ???? ( use offset to adjust the angle you want the tilt of your gimbal to be)
Trim: Inh (not applied here or needed)

Sw: X (select the switch you want to use from the available selections.)

Have fun, it's a hobby and if it stops being fun you need to quit it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:53 AM
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jun 2013
48 Posts
Thanks guys! Huge help.

My issue was I had Trim set to Act. Switching it to Inh did exactly what I needed.

What is Act and Inh? Activated and Inhibited? Isn't On and Off a little easier to abbreviate?

So in case this helps anyone, I've got
AX2 > AX2 (mixing the channel with itself)

Rate 100%
-100%
Offset: 100%
Trim: Inh
Sw: Mix1
NUTSgoWEEE is offline Find More Posts by NUTSgoWEEE
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:34 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,059 Posts
Trim active/inhibit

Yes, the trim act/inh is as you specified - the purpose is to allow the mixed surface to follow the master trim (or not) as required.
Your application would not need trim input, so INH.
An example of a use for ACT would be if you used the mix to drive the other half of a split elevator setup - you would want elevator trim to affect both halves equally.
Agree that differences in terminology and 'grammar' between different radio brands and models can drive the mind towards insanity!
Cheers,
PeteM
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
...snip... An example of a use for ACT would be if you used the mix to drive the other half of a split elevator setup - you would want elevator trim to affect both halves equally. ...snip...
I'd use the Dual Elevator Tail Type and save a mix.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:57 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,059 Posts
Agree - was not sure the 7s had that option.
Interestingly, my DSX9 has the option in Acro, but not in Glider - finished up using all nine channels and all six mixes on a relatively straightforward scale sailplane (Ka8).
Cheers,
Pete