HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2014
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
To be honest I'm more interested in going the Bixler type plane route than the performance warbird route for the time being. I find those airframes, pushers, very sexy and alluring. I think I want to just get as much altitude as I can and really enjoy smooth flight with the every now and again ability to do some mild aerobatic's.
You might like the Polaris. That was going to be my first plane but it will now likely be my next unless I get something for indoor first.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2014
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I have a couple of brushless motors in mine and it does go vertical,OOS in short order. I have the motors programmed to the rudder like the original but it's giving me trouble, so I'm going to run it without being programmed to the rudder. and will make the rudder moveable with a servo, also connected to nosewheel steering.

Gord.
Very very cool. I have been extremely impressed with this plane all the way around.

That Polaris does look pretty dam tight.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old Today, 06:06 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
You might like the Polaris. That was going to be my first plane but it will now likely be my next unless I get something for indoor first.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

I have this one. Just add RX and bind.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Today, 08:31 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

I have this one. Just add RX and bind.
I have one of those and it's awesome. It moves fast and is not for beginners, but for someone who is tired of the anaemic DR brushed motors, the Skipper is a breath of fresh air. It can also take off from water, snow, or grass. Winter is almost here and the Skipper is about to get the ultimate workout.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Today, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2014
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I have one of those and it's awesome. It moves fast and is not for beginners, but for someone who is tired of the anaemic DR brushed motors, the Skipper is a breath of fresh air. It can also take off from water, snow, or grass. Winter is almost here and the Skipper is about to get the ultimate workout.
I'm going to add RX and Gyro - possibly the 2014 HobbyEagle A3 with auto-level. We've got a guy in our float fly club with a Skipper. He lost it behind a tree and it crashed but it seems pretty tough.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Today, 07:44 PM
Joined Sep 2014
169 Posts
One thing I'm noticing is that I don't use the left stick much if at all for left/right. I use it for mostly throttle and when I turn i bank then use elevator.

How many of you all favor using the right stick up/down left/right(whoa old schoolers get a contra flash back there)... Left stick mostly up/down.
Rain1dog is online now Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old Today, 09:10 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
992 Posts
I just came across the question about doing a water break-in on with used motors; Yes.
The DR motors have medium hard brushes and it takes 2 ~ 3 minutes for a motor. It is difficult to see the brushes in this motor. You want to see the brush seat on the commutator. The normal "standard" brush will touch only on the 4 corners. With a bright light and a magnifying lens, you can see the arch gap between the corners. The water break-in wears the carbon brush down until the arch is gone and the brush is in 100% contact.
I use a 1# plastic container with warm water. Put a tiny bit (a drop is too much) of liquid detergent on a finger tip and swish it in the water. Dip the motor brushes end into the water while running with the brushes submerged and with a 2 or 3 s battery running it. The water will get very gray from the worn off carbon.
OK....let me get this through to you.....do not do this with the motor connected to the planes Rx/ESC !!!! Take the motor out of the plane and use a battery with jumpers wires.
Jim Petro is online now Find More Posts by Jim Petro