HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Herefordshire
Joined Jan 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
Seem to remember the box photo in some of the early(?) Model Makers so it's at least early fifties.

Regards Ian.
Hi Ian - thanks for the pm, I've sent some scans - let me know if they're ok and I'll sort the rest out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
That one 'fills a gap' in modelling history for me. I read about rubber-power in old modelling books, but up until now I've never seen one.

The trick was to have a large propeller, which kept the revs down and hence lengthened the run. I believe that it had similar performance to clockwork - though being much cheaper and lighter...
Hi Dodgy - I'd not seen one before either, bizarrely however, shortly after I'd posted those images, one turned up on that well known auction site: http://r.ebay.com/AutdOx

Electric powered, and missing the rear cabin, but it looks to be the same boat - has a very distinctive "dumpy" shape.

Interestingly - Modelcraft was formed around 1938 to provide "plans for the model making enthusiast" and in 1940 they began their well known range of "Micromodel" card kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppyuk1 View Post
it's on my 'to do' list, which grows longer by the week!!
I can relate to that - this one's penciled in to start on my 165th birthday...

Mark
Vintage is offline Find More Posts by Vintage
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:28 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,668 Posts
All the blood sweat and tears we went through last time with the "Little Red Boat" paid off Mark, Scans are spot on. Haven't worked out how the torn out bits fit ??? Bullet holes are impressive too.

Best regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:19 AM
Joined Jan 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Scans are spot on.

Best regards Ian.
Cheers Ian - my doctor had suggested that it was too soon to try sending you scans again but I thought I'd take a chance....

Quote:
Haven't worked out how the torn out bits fit ??? Bullet holes are impressive too.
We can only be thankful, judging by the way he'd cut out the first two profiles, that the original owner hadn't pursued the build!

I'll send you the others when I get a moment over the next couple of days.

Mark
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2014
5 Posts
Hobbies 'Gadfly'

This image is from the [I]Hobbies[I] handbook of 1942, and from the number of the design , 191 special, I can date it to the weekly issue dated 4th of August 1934. Unfortunately I've not yet got the plan in my collection. I love the price for the package of wood AND engine for 17/- (85p).
joppyuk1 is offline Find More Posts by joppyuk1
Last edited by joppyuk1; Aug 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2014
11 Posts
Here are the .pdf files for the 17" rubber powered Coastal Cruiser by Modelcraft.

Originally in a pretty poor state, they've been beautifully restored by Ian (Circlip) - thank you!

If anyone decides to build it I'd love to see the finished model…

Mark
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:34 AM
Joined Jul 2014
5 Posts
The Coastal Cruiser on e-bay is only about 12 miles away, if it doesn't sell I might make an offer!
joppyuk1 is offline Find More Posts by joppyuk1
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:33 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Hi all

I'm looking for plans for an old Vic Smeed design, called "Querida". It's a simple cabin cruiser style boat with few parts- ideal for a beginner. If anybody has one or knows where I can find one, please let me know?

PS: This was the first boat model I ever built, at the age of 12. Unfortunately lost the plans some years ago....
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Sep 17, 2014, 04:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,668 Posts
Haven't got round to cleaning and resizing original instructions yet but this may help.

Regards Ian.

Simple, with a Tappy twin as power plant????????
Old Sep 17, 2014, 04:58 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Ian, thank you so much for posting that- you've really brought joy to my heart.

I promise that when I get around to re-drawing it in CAD, you'll get the first copy!

You really are a star, thanks again mate!

MJ
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Sep 17, 2014, 06:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,668 Posts
It will reprint at whatever size you need, PDF is full size.

Regards Ian.