SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
I like to use Robart Pin hinges on my foamies. I make a simple wood drill guide and use a .5mm hot wire to drill the hole then use Gorilla glue. They are really smooth and easy to keep lined up perfectly when glueing. I don't add blenderm tape as I don't see a need. I also add a thin CF strip to the aileron tip which makes it very stiff.

-Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
191 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
Brenno is online now Find More Posts by Brenno
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:14 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Imus City
Joined Feb 2013
76 Posts
Does any one can recommend a good CG point? i did try to set it at 146mm from LE, but it seem nose heavy it will not float that long after i shut the motor power sink rate is fast not a floater is this normal for this wing? I added some weight in the nose about 150grams. I was thinking to set the CG just in the center of the carbon fiber tube, i think the FX-61 is CG sensitive am i correct? Also iam only using 3s 2200mAh i can get around 6mins time mainly at half throtle.

Any comment or suggestion is welcome, thank you
Alex
alxb66 is offline Find More Posts by alxb66
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:10 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
975 Posts
I'd venture to guess that your Phantom will fly quite a bit better if you go up to at least 5000mah 3S and balance your CG on the center of the spar. Once setup correctly you should be able to float for extremely long distances with a sink rate that is hard to even see until your final flair!! I can't say for certain exactly what you are experiencing with your setup but If I were to guess, I'd say you are probably really tail heavy if anything. If anyone else has tried to fly with only 2200 3S, then maybe they can chime-in and share their experience. I know mine would never even come close to balancing with that amount of battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxb66 View Post
Does any one can recommend a good CG point? i did try to set it at 146mm from LE, but it seem nose heavy it will not float that long after i shut the motor power sink rate is fast not a floater is this normal for this wing? I added some weight in the nose about 150grams. I was thinking to set the CG just in the center of the carbon fiber tube, i think the FX-61 is CG sensitive am i correct? Also iam only using 3s 2200mAh i can get around 6mins time mainly at half throtle.

Any comment or suggestion is welcome, thank you
Alex
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, Imus City
Joined Feb 2013
76 Posts
Thank you for your answer,
I think the weight i added plus my 3s 2200mAh battery will be equal to a 5000mAh 3s weight, but ill consider your suggestion to center the CG on the spar center, with this weight i got my CG about 146 mm from the LE or just before the spar. Ill will observe the difference as you said it will float on a long distance.

Thank you,
Alex
alxb66 is offline Find More Posts by alxb66
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
386 Posts
Instead of adding dead weight,why not just add another 2200 in parallel.Thats what I have in mine and it balances nicely.
Jake Bullit is offline Find More Posts by Jake Bullit
Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
663 Posts
Mine is set up for gliding power off. I'm using a folding propeller and a 4500/3S. I've set my CG as far back as I felt possible because at low speed the elevons need to be up by a fair amount for level flight. On mine, set almost behind spar, the elevons are at about 4mm up for neutral/level flight.
FabFlight is online now Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Hi all
I have fx61 it is very poor fpv stock motor
My setup
Runcam 650
Ezuhf
Irc600
3s 5200
Phantom fx61 pnf
I fly with 3s 5200 c30 361 gram
I need help choice
What best motor for me and propeller
I hope to get help
Thank you
mbtsm is offline Find More Posts by mbtsm
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtsm View Post
Hi all
I have fx61 it is very poor fpv stock motor
My setup
Runcam 650
Ezuhf
Irc600
3s 5200
Phantom fx61 pnf
I fly with 3s 5200 c30 361 gram
I need help choice
What best motor for me and propeller
I hope to get help
Thank you
The stock motor can work well with the right prop and battery. You can see my test results on 9" props, post 4156 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4156

Also, don't use the stock prop, it is terrible! Use an APC 9x6e on 4S or APC 10x8e on 3S and it will be much better!

Mark
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mark_q; Yesterday at 12:14 PM. Reason: spl
Old Today, 07:24 AM
Joined Jan 2014
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
The stock motor can work well with the right prop and battery. You can see my test results on 9" props, post 4156 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4156

Also, don't use the stock prop, it is terrible! Use an APC 9x6e on 4S or APC 10x8e on 3S and it will be much better!

Mark
thank you mark for info
mbtsm is offline Find More Posts by mbtsm
Last edited by mbtsm; Today at 03:15 PM.