Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Feb 2008
24 Posts
Cool
OrangeRX @ HK USA Warehouse

HobbyKing now has the OrangeRX's in stock in the USA:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Needed a couple of these for some scratchbuilt foamies... Now I don't have to wait a month
fordp is offline Find More Posts by fordp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Yeah. I just noticed they added these to the USA warehouse as well. And the price difference is practically nothing between HK and US.

$5.99 vs $6.19
Way to go HobbyKing!!

Now if only they would add the 7 and 9 channel receivers, and satellite receivers to the USA warehouse... I'm sure it's going to happen very soon because they are already offering them in the UK warehouse and AUS warehouse.

Keep up the great work HobbyKing!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Oct 2011
169 Posts
Be carefull with the 9 channel orangies. My friend's Avister .46 had a malfunction somewhere and it went in. I checked the ESC, servo's, motor and all were fine. We think it was the 9-channel rx.
RC Erik is offline Find More Posts by RC Erik
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Erik View Post
Be carefull with the 9 channel orangies. My friend's Avister .46 had a malfunction somewhere and it went in. I checked the ESC, servo's, motor and all were fine. We think it was the 9-channel rx.
Was the receiver flashing when you got to the plane and looked at the electronics? That would indicate loss of power or signal, and rule out the receiver as the "problem" per say.

If so... Then it would be safe to assume that the ESC was the issue. Possibly due to the ESC working too hard on a given power setup, or the internal "BEC" couldn't handle the draw from the servo's, and thus caused a power loss and inevitable crash.

It happens all the time...... though it doesn't mean that the Orange Rx "can't" be to blame. It's just common to assume the receiver was the culprit because it's a "cheap knock off" of the name brand versions.

It's funny.... my Orange receivers all get better range than the actual Spektrum brand receiver that I have in the same "class" as the 6,7 and 9 channel cheapies.

On another aspect of this..... If the battery became disconnected upon impact, you couldn't possibly tell what was happening, then there really isn't any way to pinpoint where the issue arose from, unfortunately.

What was the case in your situation? Was there still power? Or was the battery disconnected?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
I have the Orange Rx R910 (9 channel receiver) in a Big NItroplanes 81" Piper J3 Cub. I have the two satellite receivers in it as well for added diversity.

I've only flown it a handful of times so far since it's been built, but I can fly it until it's almost spec'ed out without any loss of signal or signs of "odd behavior" of any kind.

I find that proper placement of the R910 and the two satellite receivers is crucial to getting really good diversity and reliability from this receiver, or any receivers that use a satellite receiver along with the main unit.

I don't know.... maybe I just really like them. That.. and they're a great deal compared to the prices of the name brand stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Oct 2011
169 Posts
The lipo was disconnected but was also about 5 feet away from the plane. It might have been the ESC but it was a simple .46 size trainer with small control surfaces. It was probably in the low 70's that day so i doubt it overheated.

After the crash i scoured through the OrangeRX main thread and found similar situations with losing signal on the 9 channel. Its true, we dont know for sure if it was the receiver, but everything else worked after the crash. The RX servo prongs were all bent up from the crash so we couldnt test that.

I have about 10 6 channel orangies and love them, never had a problem with them. It just seems the 9 channel has had more bad luck (after reading the main thread on orangies)
RC Erik is offline Find More Posts by RC Erik
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Erik View Post
The lipo was disconnected but was also about 5 feet away from the plane. It might have been the ESC but it was a simple .46 size trainer with small control surfaces. It was probably in the low 70's that day so i doubt it overheated.

After the crash i scoured through the OrangeRX main thread and found similar situations with losing signal on the 9 channel. Its true, we dont know for sure if it was the receiver, but everything else worked after the crash. The RX servo prongs were all bent up from the crash so we couldnt test that.

I have about 10 6 channel orangies and love them, never had a problem with them. It just seems the 9 channel has had more bad luck (after reading the main thread on orangies)
Even simple trainers or even flying wings with only two servo's, can experience problems. The main factor to look at is the BEC. If i'm flying with 2 servo's on a model, I like the ESC to have a BEC with at least a 2A rating. If i'm flying 3, 4 or 5 servo's, I won't use an ESC with anything less than a 3A BEC, but 4A or 5A would be a lot better.

Also, I consider the motor i'm using, and always use a watt meter to show me exactly what i'm pulling from the battery and through the ESC. If my brushless motor and prop pull 35A at full throttle, I won't use anything less than a 40A ESC, but usually I would go with a 45A or 50A ESC because it's always good to have a nice safety margin so you're not pushing the ESC too hard.

Lastly, you have to think about the battery you're using. Going with the same example I used, I would probably be using a 2200mah or higher capacity lipo pack, and would closely look at the power put out of the battery in question. I would want something that is able to push AT LEAST 35A constant, but again... higher is definitely better, within reason of course. SO something like a 20C or better would be in order. That would give you about 44A constant output.

If you always make sure your electronics work in harmony together, the chances of failure are greatly reduced. Typically, you would likely only have a problem if something was faulty from the get go, and you would find out right away when testing everything out BEFORE the maiden flight.

If more people did this... (mainly the people who are just getting into the hobby)... i'm willing to bet there would be much less threads posted about how "my orange rx made my plane crash".
RCG Plus Member