HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassehellsten View Post
Hi guys! You seem to have good insights in electrickri!
My FMS 1400 Cub has a 2-4 LiPo ESC, so has my PZ Albatros.
Cannot find if the 3536 900kv in the Cub or the 480 size 960 kv BL can take 14.8v or if they will smoke?
If possible some more dB in these lightweight planes would be nice!
Lasse
You may need to change the prop size. You will go up in RPM though, so it may outweight the increase in DB. Is there any way to get the budget to work in the Cub? I know you had weight issues before with it. Try getting the third speaker out into the open instead of inside, that may help some. The Mini systems work well on small planes, but the prop and motor noise must be kept down.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:17 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Dont think it wil fit the Budget, have to mount to far behind CG and with balancing weight
it will go from 1450 g to almost 1800, a bit heavy and the bird will be loosing some of it´s flying characteristics. She sounds fine on the ground and at 50% thr passbys, so I´ll leave it unchanged. Landing with motor on idle looks and sounds nice. Will see if I can get the third speaker more open like in the Albatros, which seems to be a bit louder.
Haven´t maidened the Albatros yet due to bad winds, rain and to much work. Winter is coming so....
In the future the Budget or Ultra will ofcourse be the choice
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Dont think it wil fit the Budget, have to mount to far behind CG and with balancing weight
it will go from 1450 g to almost 1800, a bit heavy and the bird will be loosing some of it´s flying characteristics. She sounds fine on the ground and at 50% thr passbys, so I´ll leave it unchanged. Landing with motor on idle looks and sounds nice. Will see if I can get the third speaker more open like in the Albatros, which seems to be a bit louder.
Haven´t maidened the Albatros yet due to bad winds, rain and to much work. Winter is coming so....
In the future the Budget or Ultra will ofcourse be the choice
Lasse
See if you can find a quieter prop. I know you are not supposed to do this, but I do it, and have been for years with no problems. I use props made for IC engines on my electrics. They are toughter, quieter, and I think they pull better. Almost all my electrics are running on Master Airscrew props. See if you can locate a Master Airscrew prop of the same size and give it a try. Also make sure it is balanced well, no nicks in it, and the prop shaft is strait. Any of these can make excessive noise.

Did you have a gun card on that one? I know you did on the Albatross. I typically do not do gun cards on the mini systems as it draws down the overall volume too much. If you remove the gun card, the enging volume will go up. I am working to rectify this problem, but it will not be fixed till the next generation of cards.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
11x7
Do you buy them online? I'll try to lokate and by. Also I think of balancing the BL with rims of tape to get rid of vibrations. Dont have a guncard. Also will do a cutot in th fuse behind the cowling to expose the 3:d speaker better.
What fo you think of a 11.5x8 prop? Would get more torque? And lower rpm with less noice.
A bit unsure as This i new experiments, but worth a try
Lasse
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Locate right!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Have a pending order with Wheelspinmodels.
Added Master Airscrews for Cub and Alby + wattmeter and propbalancer.
Hope it works.
L
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Have a pending order with Wheelspinmodels.
Added Master Airscrews for Cub and Alby + wattmeter and propbalancer.
Hope it works.
L
Let me know how they work. Even if they are not more quiet, they are worth the money. They will not break nearly as easily. They can take a hard hit before they break.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MrRCFlying; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Finding the limit

Well, I pushed the Mustang to its limit today by running a 5 amp 5S battery in it. I had about three minutes wonderful performance before hearing a screech and losing power. I burned out the motor. Should have eased off on the prop size with the higher voltage battery. Oh well, time for a new motor. What's it gonna be?

Also got in seven flights with the Bucker Jungmann as the sun was setting. Worked on perfecting my landing technique. I bring her in, flare gently close to the ground and hold her there in a three-point attitude until the speed bleeds off very close to stall. After that a gentle touchdown and short rollout. The sound unit really completes the impression of a real plane coming in to land.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Well, I pushed the Mustang to its limit today by running a 5 amp 5S battery in it. I had about three minutes wonderful performance before hearing a screech and losing power. I burned out the motor. Should have eased off on the prop size with the higher voltage battery. Oh well, time for a new motor. What's it gonna be?

Also got in seven flights with the Bucker Jungmann as the sun was setting. Worked on perfecting my landing technique. I bring her in, flare gently close to the ground and hold her there in a three-point attitude until the speed bleeds off very close to stall. After that a gentle touchdown and short rollout. The sound unit really completes the impression of a real plane coming in to land.

Cheers,

Jackson
That`s not called " finding the limit " Jackson its exceeding it Get your self a good Amp logger like the eagle tree ones. Best thing ever !!

Try a scorpion motor ! I love them
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:40 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
Jackson,

check out BP Hobbies motors

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V450327

durable, reliable, efficient and best of all cheap!

I have been using them for several years with no issues. if you burn them up you can re-build them.

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,896 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Stang. Did you put it on a watt meter before hand to see what it was drawing power wise? I bet if you had stepped down in prop size you would have been fine.

Anyone know the max amps the stock P-51 motor is good for?

Andrew

Quote:

Cheers,

Jackson
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Mea culpa. I shoulda, woulda, coulda checked, tested and verified. But I didn't. I just popped in the battery and flew the pants of the Mustang until she died of a heart attack.

Thanks, G-Forced and Aerodude for your equipment suggestions. I am using a BP Hobbies motor on the Bucker Jungmann (also from BP Hobbies) and I love it.

The motor I was using was a 42-50 1000kv motor. It is no longer sold by HeadsupRC, but i believe it was a 800 watt motor.

Now here's the good news, I was looking through my inventory of motors and found an excellent replacement. The Motor is an Exceed Rocket "4120" which has a 49.5 mm diameter and 46 mm length, with a kva of 660. It is rated at 1,850 watts! I think I will end up pulling 1000+ watts, so the motor will be well within its limits, not over them. In any event I will be testing and reporting my full power draw prior to flying the plane again.

I will need to do some micro carpentry to build the motor mount for the bigger motor, but have in mind the perfect solution there.

As part of this "major overhaul" on the "Stang, I also plan to rewire the sound system into the main battery, replace the elevator control system with better hardware, replace the aileron control hardware, and replace the landing gear retract servos, trunions and struts. I have some superb metal struts with springs that will replace the 5 mm wire struts with plastic original equipment. The retract servos are from PW-RC and a drop-in replacement. I expect the result will be a fine-flying, good-looking and great-sounding Mustang. To be honest, I seriously considered replacing the plane, but feel she still has another life to give.

Thanks again for your encouragement and suggestions. I will probably acquire both Scorpion and BP Hobbies motors in the future.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Version Seven of the FMS Mustang

Just an added comment that the new V7 series of Mustangs from FMS looks really good. This appears to be the state-of-the-art in big foamy warbirds because they have been popular enough to justify the original version and six stages of improvement. If I didn't have my existing V5 "Marie" I would be buying a V7 and putting in a Pro sound unit with two additional 1.22" speakers.

Here's a description of the enhancements of V7 from the xtremehobby website:

Description:
The long awaited expansion to the FMS P51 WarBird range has now been released, the new V7 has all you expect from the worlds best foam fighter. Check out the newest release of our most popular FMS P-51 series, the new V7 Range. With a wingspan of 1400mm visibility in flight is easy, and the addition of Servoless Metal Retracts, Treaded Tires a Retractable Tail Wheel and now Sequenced Gear Doors, it will meet all your expectations and more. Not only this but the Pilot has been upgraded to a detailed scaled figure, and the Canopy now has a break and slide function as the real aircraft does. This Mustang has the power and economics of Brushless flight and the strength and durability of EPO Foam. It has the ability to climb vertical with no effort but still retain a scale speed and appearance while in flight. Now WWII can be relived with the amazing line up of FMS V7 P51's. The power of this plane is amazing and the stability will leave you in control throughout your entire flight, no nasty issues to contend with, this is without a doubt one of the best Prop Warbirds we have ever flown. Now the hardest decision you will have to make is, What Scheme to Choose!. Happy Flying....

New Added Features to the V7 P51.
  • 17g servo for aileron, rudder, Elevator. 9g slow digital servo for flap
  • Landing gear cover door
  • More scaled detail plastic parts
  • New flap upgrade and hinging
  • New Scale Pilot
  • New stronger hinges
  • New wing construction for stronger flying and easier assembling
  • New fuselage construction
  • New motor mount design
  • Upgraded shock absorption system & new bigger wheel with treaded tires
  • Slide canopy
  • Strong propeller
  • Four new color schemes
  • New strong foam box to avoid any damage
The Detail and the finish to the new V7 P51's is outstanding, to look at them you would swear they were static models, to fly them you would swear you were there. Nothing comes close for the money. Stock is limited don't wait to get yours today.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Just an added comment that the new V7 series of Mustangs from FMS looks really good. This appears to be the state-of-the-art in big foamy warbirds because they have been popular enough to justify the original version and six stages of improvement. If I didn't have my existing V5 "Marie" I would be buying a V7 and putting in a Pro sound unit with two additional 1.22" speakers.

Here's a description of the enhancements of V7 from the xtremehobby website:

Description:
The long awaited expansion to the FMS P51 WarBird range has now been released, the new V7 has all you expect from the worlds best foam fighter. Check out the newest release of our most popular FMS P-51 series, the new V7 Range. With a wingspan of 1400mm visibility in flight is easy, and the addition of Servoless Metal Retracts, Treaded Tires a Retractable Tail Wheel and now Sequenced Gear Doors, it will meet all your expectations and more. Not only this but the Pilot has been upgraded to a detailed scaled figure, and the Canopy now has a break and slide function as the real aircraft does. This Mustang has the power and economics of Brushless flight and the strength and durability of EPO Foam. It has the ability to climb vertical with no effort but still retain a scale speed and appearance while in flight. Now WWII can be relived with the amazing line up of FMS V7 P51's. The power of this plane is amazing and the stability will leave you in control throughout your entire flight, no nasty issues to contend with, this is without a doubt one of the best Prop Warbirds we have ever flown. Now the hardest decision you will have to make is, What Scheme to Choose!. Happy Flying....

New Added Features to the V7 P51.
  • 17g servo for aileron, rudder, Elevator. 9g slow digital servo for flap
  • Landing gear cover door
  • More scaled detail plastic parts
  • New flap upgrade and hinging
  • New Scale Pilot
  • New stronger hinges
  • New wing construction for stronger flying and easier assembling
  • New fuselage construction
  • New motor mount design
  • Upgraded shock absorption system & new bigger wheel with treaded tires
  • Slide canopy
  • Strong propeller
  • Four new color schemes
  • New strong foam box to avoid any damage
The Detail and the finish to the new V7 P51's is outstanding, to look at them you would swear they were static models, to fly them you would swear you were there. Nothing comes close for the money. Stock is limited don't wait to get yours today.
This one looks good to use for FPV as it gives some canopy access - my 1400mm Fw-190 is almost done... Lots of work ! But kinda fun now
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Aug 2012
547 Posts
Quote:
Mea culpa. I shoulda, woulda, coulda checked, tested and verified. But I didn't. I just popped in the battery and flew the pants of the Mustang until she died of a heart attack.

Thanks, G-Forced and Aerodude for your equipment suggestions. I am using a BP Hobbies motor on the Bucker Jungmann (also from BP Hobbies) and I love it.

The motor I was using was a 42-50 1000kv motor. It is no longer sold by HeadsupRC, but i believe it was a 800 watt motor.

Now here's the good news, I was looking through my inventory of motors and found an excellent replacement. The Motor is an Exceed Rocket "4120" which has a 49.5 mm diameter and 46 mm length, with a kva of 660. It is rated at 1,850 watts! I think I will end up pulling 1000+ watts, so the motor will be well within its limits, not over them. In any event I will be testing and reporting my full power draw prior to flying the plane again.

I will need to do some micro carpentry to build the motor mount for the bigger motor, but have in mind the perfect solution there.

As part of this "major overhaul" on the "Stang, I also plan to rewire the sound system into the main battery, replace the elevator control system with better hardware, replace the aileron control hardware, and replace the landing gear retract servos, trunions and struts. I have some superb metal struts with springs that will replace the 5 mm wire struts with plastic original equipment. The retract servos are from PW-RC and a drop-in replacement. I expect the result will be a fine-flying, good-looking and great-sounding Mustang. To be honest, I seriously considered replacing the plane, but feel she still has another life to give.

Thanks again for your encouragement and suggestions. I will probably acquire both Scorpion and BP Hobbies motors in the future.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson
Watch this and dont fly your P47 until replacements arrived
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749176
Med vänlig hälsning Lasse
Closed Thread