Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,316 Posts
Discussion
Robbe 'Plura' fuselages

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of bonding to 'Plura' (a brand name used by Robbe for their thermoplastic fuselages)? I need to make some repairs to one to restore an elderly ASW19.

I've also been told that they go brittle over time (as do many thermoplastics) - anyone like to offer their experiences of this?

Thanks in anticipation,

S
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jan 2009
504 Posts
This is a type of ABS and can be repaired/reinforced the same way.

Aceton does dissolve ABS. At first it will soften up the material and then the ABS will slowly get "eaten" by the acetone.

Repairs are pretty easy: put in a glass jar (with a tight lid) some small shavings of the material with some acetone. After a few hors to a couple of days (depending on the mixing ratio) you will get a paste. If you brush it on a damaged part it will create a new skin after all the solvent evaporates.

You may use a heat gun to straighten out the damaged area as close to the original shape as possible. Then you can "clean and soften the area to be repaired by brushing acetone on it. At this point it will start softening the surface. That's a good time to "force in" some glass cloth and finish by brushing some of the paste you have in the jar.

If you really get fancy you can sand, shape and reinforce with glass cloth until its back to its original shape. Caned spray paint and it looks brand new.
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,316 Posts
Thanks for that I now may be able to get it looking a bit better than I originally thought.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Have you tried "Stabilit Express"? Used a lot back in the day for bonding formers etc into plura/abs/duralene and other "greasy" fuselages...

As recommended by Robbe

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-B...it-Express.ice

Matt
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,316 Posts
Cheers Matt! Forgotten about that stuff - wonder if it could be used wet out a little glass fabric? There are cracks to be reinforced. Hmmm...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
No worries, I can't see why it wouldn't work to wet out glass, not sure how viscose it is, but I suppose on the inside of a fuselage, you could apply the glass to the inside with spraymount, then sort of "stipple" the SE into it with a stiffish brush. Smear a balloon with vaseline, shove it down the fuselage and blow it up to put a little pressure on the repair. Which might "squeeze" some of the SE into the crack itself. Then wipe off any excess which seeps through the crack. That way, the SE will be holding the crack closed as well as reinforcing it from the inside???
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton