HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Discussion
Carbon fiber archery "arrows" shaft question

Has anyone tried using carbon fiber arrow shafts as fuse extension from wing back to tail?

Is this worth persuing or is the just simply a better way.

Thanks, Tom
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,486 Posts
Tom:

I built no less than five, hand-launch gliders to a design from the Charles River Soaring Club, back in 2000-2002.

Carbon fiber arrow shafts were specified as a boom, and they worked fine. They cut easily with a razor saw (I wrapped them in masking tape to prevent splinters). I built balsa sheet fuselage pods, and inserted the arrow-shaft booms into holes in the bulkheads. CA held things together very well. This particular desing used a V-tail made of sheet balsa, and CA did well at that end, too. I used hollow shafts, and ran the push rods through the shafts.

At an archery shop, shafts are sold on the basis of both weight and stiffness, and they are very uniform. I still have the remnants.

I would not myself use an arrow shaft for an airplane larger than about 60-inch span. Bigger than that, and there might be problems with torsion.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Tom:

I built no less than five, hand-launch gliders to a design from the Charles River Soaring Club, back in 2000-2002.

Carbon fiber arrow shafts were specified as a boom, and they worked fine. They cut easily with a razor saw (I wrapped them in masking tape to prevent splinters). I built balsa sheet fuselage pods, and inserted the arrow-shaft booms into holes in the bulkheads. CA held things together very well. This particular desing used a V-tail made of sheet balsa, and CA did well at that end, too. I used hollow shafts, and ran the push rods through the shafts.

At an archery shop, shafts are sold on the basis of both weight and stiffness, and they are very uniform. I still have the remnants.

I would not myself use an arrow shaft for an airplane larger than about 60-inch span. Bigger than that, and there might be problems with torsion.

Yours, Greg
Thank you for your response, I am working with 2meter gliders.
Tom.in.Maryland is offline Find More Posts by Tom.in.Maryland
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,749 Posts
You would want to use something larger in diameter than an arrow shaft for aa tail boom on a 2m. I once used a pool cue as a mandrell and made a nice tapered boom for a scratch built 2Vix2 2m right out of RCM@E magazine. It flew great too. BTW you guy's should wait till bow hunting season is over as Wal-mart deeply discount's their carbon arrow shaft's then. My arrow shaft's do double duty as fuse stiffener's and tail control guide's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,015 Posts
Two sources for carbon booms, stiff enough for you:

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...products_id=40

or http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.....wrappedcarbon

The G force tappered tubing, for Allegro or B-Dancer

I have used a lot of arrow shafts but for nothing over about 40"

Good luck and enjoy the build!
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
Depending on the stiffness and how hard you throw, an arrow shaft may not be stiff enough even for a 60 inch glider.

For a 2 meter, part of a broken carbon fiber fish pole may be an option.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,486 Posts
Tom:

I was reminded that carbon golf club shafts have occasionally been used as booms. I have no experience with those myself, though.

Yours, Greg McGill
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
I was reminded that carbon golf club shafts have occasionally been used as booms. I have no experience with those myself, though.
Carbon golf shafts can work, but they're heavier than necessary and the stiffness distribution is backwards (golf shafts are stiffest at the skinny end).
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
I've used fishing rod blanks on occassion, you can pick up a pole or whip (no eyes) fairly cheaply and get a variety of tapered blanks within that. The butt sections especially, are designed to be very stiff and light, and are probably higher quality material than anything specifically for models.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,557 Posts
Used them 20 years ago for HLG's etc. Nothing bigger, but worked great for them.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,478 Posts
one of the guys gave a go at a 2m scratch fuse with an arrow shaft boom. It works but its a bit wobbly for my taste. Fishing pole is my best guess, use the fatter end.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Hi have used alloy easton arrow shafts and FG arrow shafts for a couple of hybrid slopers, I woudn't go over 1.5m wingspan with them but then, if it is a slow sailplane then not so much worry but it'll do your servos little good with the shaft flex.

Fishing rod is the better option I agree with the other guys, so many types to choose from plenty of 2nd hand ones about too you should find the perfect shaft somewhere, just base your selection on common sense and the compromise between weight, size and rigidity, and all could be well.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,726 Posts
Buy a piece that was designed to do the job you are asking of it. The Allegro, Bubble dancer suppliers have what you need. Golf club and fishing poles are designed to bend although in a controlled way. They are also heavier than a comparable unit designed to be a tail boom. Arrow shaft is straight tubing. To skinny in the front and to fat at the rear. And again to heavy.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I've used carbon arrows on two different designs. Both were 2 meter planes. The first one I used a single shaft with a "T"-tail back end and found that the single shaft was waaaaayyy to flexible for the application. On the second I used 3 shafts that i joined together. While it was plenty stiff enough for the application, it weighed a lot and required a ton of lead to bring it into balance.

Your best bet is to use something that is designed for the application/design.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock