HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Gallery
High Altitude Drops Part 2! DVD Player and Computer!!

We've dropped chairs, toaster oven, and a VCR.. This time the DVD player and Computer case get it! From around 400 ft these items will fall to there doom carried up by a super expensive and super awesome Mikrokopter hexacopter unit. Enjoy and don't miss Part 1 if you haven't seen it yet. Its a smashing good time

Hexacopter Bomb Drop Part 2: DVD and Computer vs Mikrokopter (1 min 53 sec)

Hexacopter Heavy Bomb Drop: Mikrokopter VS Household Objects (5 min 39 sec)
RobscoRC is offline Find More Posts by RobscoRC
Last edited by RobscoRC; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,358 Posts
Thanks guys, now I need to go out and spend money on a hexacopter...
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Nice! Sweet video - but it would be even better if you had a close up shot / slow mo when the items actually hit the ground. Easier said then done though I realize.

What'd you guys use as a release mechanism? I've thought about trying to drop a gallon to milk from my 600. Some neighbor pisses you off - boom! Their car is covered in milk from 400 feet up! Just kidding...

Here's my own version of a Heli Bomber.
Attack of the Heli Bomber 2 (4 min 24 sec)
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S9coldfire View Post
Nice! Sweet video - but it would be even better if you had a close up shot / slow mo when the items actually hit the ground. Easier said then done though I realize.

What'd you guys use as a release mechanism? I've thought about trying to drop a gallon to milk from my 600. Some neighbor pisses you off - boom! Their car is covered in milk from 400 feet up! Just kidding...
Thats tough! slow mo follow to the ground, we did our best. I think we got some better close ups in Part 1. The release mechanism is a super strong heli servo with a rod on the control arm. a Zap strap tied around the red cord, one end of the zap strap has a small hole in it, poke it through a hole we cut in the CF frame, flick the switch so the metal rod of the servo goes through it.. Done! Some teflon oil on the rod and its perfect.. Someone else mentioned dropping a jug of milk. Maybe i'll have to do that too! I bet a half Frozen jug of milk would leave quite a dent!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:47 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobscoRC View Post
The release mechanism is a super strong heli servo with a rod on the control arm. a Zap strap tied around the red cord, one end of the zap strap has a small hole in it, poke it through a hole we cut in the CF frame, flick the switch so the metal rod of the servo goes through it.. Done!
I'm not quite following but it sounds interesting. Do you have a picture or a close up video of that mechanism working?

Just slow mo when the item hits the ground. A pumpkin or watermelon would be pretty cool too! I also wanted to make something that would make a nice little fireball but couldn't think of anything that wouldn't risk blowing up the heli at the same time...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleared2Engage View Post
Thanks guys, now I need to go out and spend money on a hexacopter...
Lol. I know rite- my thoughts exactly. Now I want one to mess around with..............Mercy..Just checked out some prices. To ritch for my blood.
Gemini-550 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini-550
Last edited by Gemini-550; Jan 17, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini-550 View Post
Lol. I know rite- my thoughts exactly. Now I want one to mess around with..............Mercy..Just checked out some prices. To ritch for my blood.
Yeah these ones are pricey. A basic kit will cost around 3 grand, the fully decked out model with GPS navigation, UAV mode and all the bells and whistles goes as high as 10 grand.. Im lucky to have access to four of these fully tricked out ones from Nuvaero.com. You can build a basic one with a home built frame out of doweling and a 3 access multi rotor control unit from Gaui. you could theoretically build one for under $300 but it won't be anything like these beasts.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
I'm not quite following but it sounds interesting. Do you have a picture or a close up video of that mechanism working?

Just slow mo when the item hits the ground. A pumpkin or watermelon would be pretty cool too! I also wanted to make something that would make a nice little fireball but couldn't think of anything that wouldn't risk blowing up the heli at the same time...
I don't have a shot actually.. Sadly.. Think of it like this, the bottom of the heli is a carbon fibre plate, we cut a hole in the plate and put a servo on the top side of it.. so you slip a zip strap through the hole and push the pin through the zap strap, now the strap is held on by the pin and the frame. when you pull the pin is releases the zap strap. The Zap strap was connected to a cord that tied onto the things we dropped. the Teflon oil is to have a smooth movement of the pin through the zap strap.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
Hey robscorc. I never really gave it much thought till now. But ya know all the nice filming they do on say Nat.Geo and discovery channel, Going thru or over jungle canopy's ect..Do the hexacopter's play a big role in this ? And yes when I saw that 3k price tag The fun was over for me. I took at look at what horizon hobby had to offer only that very small $140 quad. Just did not do it for me like this one would have.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
Quote:

Here's my own version of a Heli Bomber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVslDoMQR8
Great video. Again this just took me back on why I originally wanted to get into the heli hobby. This is the exact stuff I dreamed of as a youngster that I could not afford to do back then. Now that I have my basic circuits in And a few loops here and ther. Its time to play. Thanks for the mind jog. I'm now looking at my 600 in a whole new light.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Aug 2010
200 Posts
Quote:
Hey robscorc. I never really gave it much thought till now. But ya know all the nice filming they do on say Nat.Geo and discovery channel, Going thru or over jungle canopy's ect..Do the hexacopter's play a big role in this ? And yes when I saw that 3k price tag The fun was over for me. I took at look at what horizon hobby had to offer only that very small $140 quad. Just did not do it for me like this one would have.
Unfortunately multi-rotors helis can be out of most peoples hobby budget, like I stated in a previous post they can be home built for a reasonable price but its a lot of techno tinkery and not that easy.

Believe it or not Multi-rotor helis are being used around the world for a multitude of purposes, media to military. I work in the film and television business and I know first hand these machines are used for ariel footage all the time in just about every aspect of visual media, iv flown for commercials you've probably seen. There also used in industry, for example I also do contract work for Nuvaero, we use these exact machines for a few things. we do photography for companies for use in marketing and advertising, we do industrial photography for oilfield and construction who want to track progress over time using photos.. So taking a photo from exactly the same spot, 300ft up, once a month. We also do video work for independent and local media. So simply the limit to these machines is only your imagination and bank account. Keep in mind the machines we use are worth over $10,000.. so sticking a Canon 5D, with a $3000 price tag is nothing in comparison to the risks involved in just flying.

Now I know what your thinking, "I want to do this!" well its not that easy, its freaking hard. We need flying permits from transport canada every time we take off, and these can take up to 48 hours to get. We are NOT allowed to use complete unmanned flight, even though that is the safest and most reliable flying technique, we need good lawyers.. Our lawyer is also one of the head lawyers of WestJet.. and then theres insurance.. $20,000,000.

I can't say specifically National Geographic but I know Red Bull, Discovery, and many other companies in media use RC helis. Its not a new idea but its only recently been perfected to the point that its feasible with a modest budget..

Sheesh thats a lot of info.. Sorry
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
No need to be sorry I found it all very informative and interesting. Amazed at how well you all have to cover your bases
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:41 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
I think the accuracy of the bomb-aiming is impressive -- presumably that's simply by instructing the model to fly to a certain specific coordinates?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:11 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobscoRC View Post
I don't have a shot actually.. Sadly.. Think of it like this, the bottom of the heli is a carbon fibre plate, we cut a hole in the plate and put a servo on the top side of it.. so you slip a zip strap through the hole and push the pin through the zap strap, now the strap is held on by the pin and the frame. when you pull the pin is releases the zap strap. The Zap strap was connected to a cord that tied onto the things we dropped. the Teflon oil is to have a smooth movement of the pin through the zap strap.
Thanks, that description helps. I'm impressed your servo had enough torque to be able to pull a pin through a zip-tie with that much weight attached even with teflon oil. Pretty slick!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Great video. Again this just took me back on why I originally wanted to get into the heli hobby. This is the exact stuff I dreamed of as a youngster that I could not afford to do back then. Now that I have my basic circuits in And a few loops here and ther. Its time to play. Thanks for the mind jog. I'm now looking at my 600 in a whole new light.
Haha, thanks! I'm exactly the same way. Check out this old thread for some other nifty things some people have done with their copters. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=craziest