HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Discussion
What kind of servos are best?

I donīt mean which make! Iīve heard itīs always best to buy metal gear servos? Are the ones from Honk Kong any good? I ask that because the ones you buy here in Europe anyway come from somewhere over there, and just have a fancy label on them! and cost significantly more. Any good tips, warnings, stuff thatīs good to know, what are your experiences? Anybody know about carbon gear servos? Please tell me all, look forward to some tips & thanks.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I imagine maybe with very large planes (which in my world would be 40 size and larger, ie. larger than anything I own or fly) metal gears might make sense. The one time I went out of my way to use MG servos, it didn't work out well at all. I'd say close to 100% of my planes use servos with plastic gears.

Sure, I've had to toss lots of servos over the years, due to mis-handling, crashes, hard landings and what-not. Nothing's going to save a plastic gear under excessive force. On the other hand -- had the servo in question been metal gear, I suspect some other component might have broken instead.

I do fly throughout the winter, so there's an argument in favor of plastic gears -- no lubricant to congeal in the cold.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post

I do fly throughout the winter, so there's an argument in favor of plastic gears -- no lubricant to congeal in the cold.
Thatīs a real good point and surely something that winter flyer wouldnīt think of, by the way is it better to have
digital servos or analog? Is there a huge price difference? does one have a big advantage over the other??
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I donīt mean which make!
But that is actually a good question to ask.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]I've heard it's best to buy metal gear servos?
Not necessarily. MG servos are very "impact" resistant and strong.
They are good - in some cases where you can handle the weight. They wear out faster and become sloppy faster than most Nylon or Karbonite gear sets. I use them for larger models on rudder (for the tail wheel) or on slope gliders where the surfaces may have impacts or shocks that metal gears help with. On large planes they can be a good idea.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Are the ones from Honk Kong any good?
Not in my experience. I have had some real junk from China. I use name brand servos - to me they are worth every extra penny. Servos are critical!

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]I ask that because the ones you buy here in Europe anyway come from somewhere over there, and just have a fancy label on them! and cost significantly more.
Even though some name brand servos may come from China, Philippines, Malaysia they are generally made to higher standards with better components. They also have far superior service, R&D and testing. You get to pay for that in price - no question.

Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]Anybody know about carbon gear servos?
I use many Hitec servos with their "Karbonite" gear sets and really like them. They are more impact resistant, stronger than reinforced Nylon and wear very well (gear lash stays tight).

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:51 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I agree with Mike 100%.

I Worked out a long time ago that there is no such thing as a cheap servo. Some of the low (initial) cost servos were just about OK but needed replacing after just a few flights, some failed on installation and some were so poor that they were never used. When I totaled up the cost I would have been better going Hitec in the first place. Had I persevered with the budget servos they could easily have cost me an aiframe or two. Many were chosen on the recommendations of others, which may have been good, but the ones I received were not, so it is at best a lottery.

It is not just the bargain basement brands either, some of the entry level servos from the big name radio makers can be fairly dire.

As for digitals, I like them for their potential speed and holding power and if one is available, in the spec I need and at a sensible price, I would choose them over an analogue servo.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Thatīs a lot of input thankyou
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:40 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Pretty much everybody flies their parkfliers on hxt900, and what's the price on these, 3 dollars ? With hundreds of flights on these, none have failed me in the air. That does not exactly make it a hard choice to use these and not waste money on high price servos.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
923 Posts
To answer your question, It all depends on your flying. The weight of your plane and your flying style. I fly hard and I've striped gears more often than not. My advice is if you spend a lot on your plane, then don't put cheep servos in it.
There are four different gear materials in our Hitec line of servos. Nylon is the base and is great for standard applications and offers excellent wear resistance to keep the gear mesh tight for years. Karbonite is 4 times stronger than Nylon and offers even better wear resistance and super quiet operation. Standard Metal is perfect for rugged applications and is 16 times stronger than Nylon but will wear much faster. Our Titanium gears are simply awesome. Virtually no wear after years of use and 48 times stronger than Nylon gears. If your application is critical and you can not afford a gear failure, Titanium is the way to go
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:37 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
Pretty much everybody flies their parkfliers on hxt900, and what's the price on these, 3 dollars ? With hundreds of flights on these, none have failed me in the air. That does not exactly make it a hard choice to use these and not waste money on high price servos.
I bought 8. Two were dead in the bag, one would not center. It was an easy decision for me too.

I have two I actually use - they are noisy and draw lots of current (almost 3x more than an hs55).

But I get it = I paid $7.50 on sale for the HS-55's but I trust them.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind 1 View Post
Our Titanium gears are simply awesome. Virtually no wear after years of use and 48 times stronger than Nylon gears. If your application is critical and you can not afford a gear failure, Titanium is the way to go
My question to you then is why is Ti only used in ultra-premium servos at three or four times the price of regular metal geared servos. I understand that there are machining difficulties as well as the higher material price, but surely Ti gears could be utilized in more affordable units.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
923 Posts
Papabearflying ;
Here the thing, you didn't say what plane you intend to use them on. So, this trend can go on and on, I fly small 3-D Planes, So for me it's Futaba S3114, they are faster and have more torque then the HS 55. The only good thing i can say about the HS 55 is they have long servo arms and long leads.
Buy what will do the job at the best price.
Remember we’re all in this together. Have A Great Day !
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind 1 View Post
Papabearflying ;
Here the thing, you didn't say what plane you intend to use them on. So, this trend can go on and on, I fly small 3-D Planes, So for me it's Futaba S3114, they are faster and have more torque then the HS 55. The only good thing i can say about the HS 55 is they have long servo arms and long leads.
Buy what will do the job at the best price.
Remember we’re all in this together. Have A Great Day !
Hello Downwind 1 and thankyou for your reply, I donīt see any relevance in saying what plane the servos are for because at the moment there isnīt one in question. What Iīm asking is, "Is it worth investing in Metal Gear servos for the long run"? The general opinion appears to be yes, having read all the other posts. I would prefer to pay a little more for something that wonīt let me down, or make me lose an aircraft, and that is the issue. Over and out.
Closed Thread