HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:11 PM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Airfield F15 from Nitroplanes

Want to know what setup you would recommend for the 64mm EDF Airfield F-15 from Nitroplanes. It is apparently a re-badged FMS.

The stock fan/motor combo is said to be underpowered, what a surprise!

I want it to be strong and stable, but does not have to break any speed records.

Thanks,

Matt
bigmattyd is offline Find More Posts by bigmattyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:53 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmattyd View Post
Want to know what setup you would recommend for the 64mm EDF Airfield F-15 from Nitroplanes. It is apparently a re-badged FMS.

The stock fan/motor combo is said to be underpowered, what a surprise!

I want it to be strong and stable, but does not have to break any speed records.

Thanks,

Matt
Depending on your budget, I recommend a DonsRC 64mm EDO fan with his Wicked 4000kv outrunner motor. He'll even balance the set-up for you. It's a smooth "plug and play" EDF solution I use in a number of different airframes, and am currently installing in a Nitroplanes F-18. Good luck.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,150 Posts
There are two ways to go with this. You can go 3S and a 40 amp ESC and fly a 3S2200 lipo. Or (what I would do) is run the wicked 4000 on 4S. But those airfield fan units must be balanced as they are way off and on 4S will vibrate like crazy.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:06 AM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
thanks

Ok, thank you for the quick replies.

I was thinking about upgrading the fan, esc, and motor, but if the stock Airfield fan unit is ok, maybe I will attempt to balance it and just get a new motor. (I realize the fan and motor have to be balanced together as a unit after assembly.)

However, the cost to upgrade the fan unit is relatively low, and I am betting Don's units are a step up in quality and durability from the stock unit.

I would like to stick with a 3s lipo because that is what I have, and I think the decreased mass of the battery is preferable in this smaller size plane. I don't want to increase the overall weight too much.

I have ordered the kit, but not received it yet. I am getting a little ahead of myself. I also have to consider how much my wife will let me "invest" in this hobby...

I am going to test it out in the stock configuration for a while. It looks like even the stock setup will be fun for basic flying and such.

Don, is it your opinion that I should stick with the stock fan and upgrade the motor and esc, and batt. Or should I just go with a new fan as well?

Matt
Last edited by bigmattyd; Jul 08, 2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:59 AM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
EDO type 1 or 2?

If I wanted to get a new motor and fan unit, would I be looking at the EDO type 1 or 2?

I have decided that if I upgrade, I would want to get a pre-balanced combo fan and motor unit.

If I use 3s lipo, would I want to use the wicked 4800, and 4s battery use the 4000?

Matt
Last edited by bigmattyd; Jul 08, 2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: changed
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:44 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
[QUOTE=bigmattyd;15493307]
"I also have to consider how much my wife will let me "invest" in this hobby... "

You have to time the deliveries to show up when she is not home.

Mark
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:09 PM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
you're right.

I agree. I only casually mentioned this to my wife the other day, but then went ahead and bought the kit. I was nervous about bringing it up, but today we had a little discussion. It turns out we have both been spending a little more than we wanted on our "hobbies."

So, I guess I am ok for now, but I can see that it is an addictive sport/hobby. The cool thing is that nowadays you can get this cheap Chinese stuff at least as a starting point to try it out, without spending a ton of money.

I know that in the long run it will be wise to get better quality equipment, but for now I just want to get a taste of the experience. I have flown RC before, but with gas powered "trainer" aircraft. They are not all that fun or realistic looking, and soon become boring.

I also have a pilot's license, but find it far too expensive to fly real aircraft as a hobby. I fly on the computer, and although it is pretty cool, it is too far detached from reality.

matt
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:04 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,150 Posts
I can write on the boxes whatever you like so the wife never knows :-)

As far as the stock fan the stock fan is fine, I have tested them and the pull essentially identical watts and amps as the EDO fan I have. The airfield rotor is quite strong which I like but they are way out of balance and need lots of ballast to get to spin well. I have not yet flown a model with this fan unit yet just ran it up and balanced with a wicked motor for a guy. If you want to stick to 3S lipo, then the Wicked 4800 is what you will want, it will be about 380 watts on the stock fan and you will need a 40 amp ESC and a 3S2200 30C lipo for best performance.

The EDO type I fan I sell is the strongest of the two and what I suggest for 4S operation. I actually am going to do some testing on the Airfield style 64mm fan as I am getting some samples, if they are OK they may be a good 4S rotor once balanced and I will offer them on my website for sale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:42 AM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!

Also, thank you for your great work!

Do you have a link to any info on how to balance the impeller at home?
I found your thread on the dynamic balancing system you are now using, but I was wondering if there was any way I could do a basic balancing myself?

I will likely purchase one of your motors and ESC at some point in the future, so thanks in advance for your support.

I may just take your advice and use a 4S battery system. It looks like it is only a small difference in cost and weight. I will do some practice flights with the stock 1300mAh 3 cell system to get a hang of its flight characteristics at a lower stall speed at stock config. Then I will consider the upgrade path...

Matt
Old Jul 09, 2010, 10:31 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
I agree. I only casually mentioned this to my wife the other day, but then went ahead and bought the kit. I was nervous about bringing it up, but today we had a little discussion. It turns out we have both been spending a little more than we wanted on our "hobbies."

So, I guess I am ok for now, but I can see that it is an addictive sport/hobby. The cool thing is that nowadays you can get this cheap Chinese stuff at least as a starting point to try it out, without spending a ton of money.

I know that in the long run it will be wise to get better quality equipment, but for now I just want to get a taste of the experience. I have flown RC before, but with gas powered "trainer" aircraft. They are not all that fun or realistic looking, and soon become boring.

I also have a pilot's license, but find it far too expensive to fly real aircraft as a hobby. I fly on the computer, and although it is pretty cool, it is too far detached from reality.

matt
LOL, I'm also a pilot and used to own my own plane but like you said, it just got too expensive. Besides, I'd never be able to fly a jet. Hey, if you are going to buy a Wicked motor anyway, I'd recommend you just go ahead and get the balanded EDO I fan. I have a lot of different EDFs and "none" of them spin as smoothly as Don's balanced ones. You will not be disappointed.
Last edited by alexandermh; Jul 09, 2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:00 AM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Yes, flying is expensive. In 2000, when gas prices were "low" I was paying $85 an hour for flying time in a Piper Warrior. I can only imagine with a doubling or tripling in gas prices, that must be up to double that price.

I am strongly considering a pre assembled and balanced setup from Don's RC. I was wondering if the EDO Type I fan unit is an easy retrofit for the airfield unit, or will I have to do some modifications to get it to fit?

Matt
Old Jul 09, 2010, 12:25 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Yes, flying is expensive. In 2000, when gas prices were "low" I was paying $85 an hour for flying time in a Piper Warrior. I can only imagine with a doubling or tripling in gas prices, that must be up to double that price.

I am strongly considering a pre assembled and balanced setup from Don's RC. I was wondering if the EDO Type I fan unit is an easy retrofit for the airfield unit, or will I have to do some modifications to get it to fit?

Matt
I don't know about how easy the retrofit would be. It depends on the "shape" of the stock unit. The EDO fan has a bit of a lip on the front so if the stock one didn't have that, you'll need to carve/sand to allow for that. The F-18 I'm finishing up already had a lip so it was a simple swap out. I just needed to chose my battery and modify the battery location a bit to get the CG right because with the stand-off mount, that outrunner is hanging back a bit more (so you need to adjust other bits to account for that).
Old Jul 09, 2010, 02:26 PM
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
I don't think I would have too much problem modifying the fuselage to hold a little bit larger fan casing, it is foam, after all... However, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any drastic differences in shape or size.

As to the weight and balance issue, if I am using a new, larger battery and ESC, I will be working on rebalancing anyway. I am assuming the motor extends aft of the CG, requiring weight to be shifted forward, which a larger, heavier battery would probably do...

I can't wait to get started on this adventure.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:47 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
I don't think I would have too much problem modifying the fuselage to hold a little bit larger fan casing, it is foam, after all... However, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any drastic differences in shape or size.

As to the weight and balance issue, if I am using a new, larger battery and ESC, I will be working on rebalancing anyway. I am assuming the motor extends aft of the CG, requiring weight to be shifted forward, which a larger, heavier battery would probably do...

I can't wait to get started on this adventure.
Yes to all the above and good luck. I've finished my F-18. Now I just have to get the nerve to toss it.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,150 Posts
I am 99% sure the EDO I fan housing and the Airfield fan housing are the same external size. I will post some photos.

Don
RCG Plus Member