HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Got a couple of good flights on my Velox today....found I can take some of the weight out of the tail, and the A60-5XS is a killer motor for the Velox....it has a LOT of power!! And it tumbles and snaps like crazy!!

SteveT
Sounds like fun!

Did you slap any graphix on your new Velox?

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:31 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Sounds like fun!

Did you slap any graphix on your new Velox?

Not yet..... Noll sent me some of the stock vinyl that didn't get shipped with the early kits...but Joe Smith had some nice vinyl on his that I might go with....but right now, I'm too "bent"....(not broke, just severely bent..)

five minute flights only took about 60% out of the packs....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:10 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Not yet..... Noll sent me some of the stock vinyl that didn't get shipped with the early kits...but Joe Smith had some nice vinyl on his that I might go with....but right now, I'm too "bent"....(not broke, just severely bent..)

five minute flights only took about 60% out of the packs....

SteveT
Dan Tyminski Band - I Ain't Broke (But I'm Badly Bent) - 3/8 (2 min 38 sec)
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:25 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Steve what is your set up? (throws, cg, stuff like that) I can't get mine to tumble
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Well...The motor is the Hacker A60-5XS, running a Xoar 18X10, with my home made aluminum mount, which took about 1.75OZ of lead in the tail to balance, even with the rudder servo in the tail.... The back end of the battery (Thunder power 6S 65C 5000mAH pack) is right under the cross member in the fuselage. That said, it is definitely a bit tail heavy, as when I roll inverted it climbs, so, I am going to remove at least 3/40z of lead from the tail, and probably even more when I get my laser cut motor mount I am having cut by National Balsa...

As to throws...I still had my 68" Velox setup in my radio, so all I had to do was bind a new receiver, and I was good to go. I did put a bit more elevator on the low rates, and I think I have tweaked all of the throws to the "TLAR" (that looks about right) standard....

I'm sorry I can't be any more specific, but I just haven't measured anything since the initial set up, which as noted was/is tail heavy..

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:28 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,136 Posts
My V2 I got from the garage sale is moving along well. Got the airframe done and now I just need to work on the engine install. I am trying to keep this one lighter. As a gas setup I'll never get sub 8lbs but I think 8.5 is doable. The 68 was 9.1lbs and here are a few things I am changing to save weight.

Only one elevator servo
8oz tank instead of the 330ml Fiji I used before
Wolverine switch with AR8000 instead of powersafe (20 grams)
Maybe lighter RX batteries, but that will be CG dependant.

I already used a IBEC and ghoffman put in carbon pushrods.
I could save a few grams with composite servo arms over the aluminum ones.

I am going to skip the vinyl for weight.

I am am going to keep the wheel pants for now, but that is a easy few ounces.

Basically with the Mintor 22 pre Bowman ring the best I could hope for was 15lbs of thrust so weight is the only side I can pick up performance on.
Enterprise7 is online now Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Hum l might try tail heavy and see what it does. Like l said, as of right now it won't tumble. I guess l need to take a video and show you all what lm talking about. Will do that on the next good day we have for flying.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Hum l might try tail heavy and see what it does. Like l said, as of right now it won't tumble. I guess l need to take a video and show you all what lm talking about. Will do that on the next good day we have for flying.
dude,wind is dying here.pack up and come on over! bring the family.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Last edited by Manta1; Nov 01, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: was supposed to say faM not fan.i even changed it before hitting send and autocorrect got me anyways lol
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:44 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,464 Posts
Wish l could
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:19 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Doesn't make it easy to land though....just as I am about to touch down, the tail drops....which means harrier of hit the throttle and try it again...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:02 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Got my laser cut motor box extension today, and it is a bit lighter, so, will swap it out of the next few days to see how much weight I can get out of the tail. I should have sanded or wiped off the smoke from the laser cutting as it got smudged up when I was putting it together...but you can't see it once the cowling is on...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
136 Posts
I'm thinking I might have to get one of these and put the new OS 22GT in it!

I have some Hitec 5945's, just need plane, motor, receiver, and a few other odds and ends.
ben_beyer is online now Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
It is a great flying plane!! I would be willing to bet you will love it!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
I'm thinking I might have to get one of these and put the new OS 22GT in it!

I have some Hitec 5945's, just need plane, motor, receiver, and a few other odds and ends.
That's funny. Almost like saying I have this steering wheel cover I better go get a car for it.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
I just converted my V1 Velox from electric to gas. From E-flite 90 to DLE 20. Bowman ring and reed cage mods before the first flight. WOW! 17x6 Xoar prop hovers at 1/4 throttle. After 5 flights, I'm read to start leaning out the engine a little more. Now comes the really hard part - cutting out that beautiful cowl to clear the engine cylinder head.

I fly mainly electrics these days so I've been getting some pretty snide remarks at the flying field for going over to the "Dark Side" with this conversion, but I'm loving the performance of the little 20.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28