HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 05:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
For my DG808 Flaps I cut them off, added balsa edging so they would be a totally flush fit when 'up', so that the wing is clean and 'perfect' again then, and hinged them off the lower edge so the downwards travel is 'unlimited'.
But I possibly should have made the wing 'joint' edge of the flap a 'mid V' shape as per Ailerons typically use, to allow them to travel up and down then - at the cost of high downwards travel, and a very clean wing when unused.
Though seeing it is not an aerobatic glider I am not too fussed.....
In its current state (mine) it is not even an 'any type of glider', LOL.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:58 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,327 Posts
with his 1000 watt motor and the stock 10x6 prop he was only getting 710 watts out of it. So we went up to the 11x7 prop as was recommended by the motor specs and he is getting 930 watts out the motor now.
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Well I have been busy on the DG808. I ended up removing all the covering. I know that sounds a bit crazy, but I have never been the ARF type and my wife says I love to punish myself instead of having fun. BUT, I have some good plans for the glider. I am going to shroud the flight controls and re-hinge them so that the flaps will go down far enough for meaningful drag, and yet still travel up a bit to be able to slave with the ailerons for more roll control.

I guess this is more of a discussion blog, not somebodies thread I am butting into here....right? Or should I start a build thread. I just finished one of those for a large scale warbird and am not sure I have the energy, but I don't want to step on anyone here.

I will post pics of the hinging and shrouds when I finish. I was thinking of re-shaping the ailerons so that they taper in chord with the wing, but this wouldn't look right unless I did the flaps as well, and well....I am not that motivated.

I did glue the outer wing panels on using the thick fiberglass block they supplied. A bit clunky, but adequate. I am adding unidirectional carbon tape on the top and bottom of this wing. Just one strip from root to tip, applied with epoxy and faired in with balsaright filler. I plan on glassing this wing with 3/4 oz glass and thinned epoxy. I hate monocote. I am sure there is a slight weight penalty but I have done this enough to know how to keep it reasonably light.

Got the motor and stuff. I am now planning on following others here and chopping off the nose to install the motor up there. 40mm spinner will blend in reasonably. Good enough for me. I will post pics of the engine mounting as well. I will use the rear mount support but it will need to be bolted at the front as well. I am guessing that with a front and rear mount, you must remove the shaft to remove the motor from the plane. ?

Question. My warbirds don't have folding props. Never done that before. What keeps the blades from pivoting forward?? It appears they will get blown back by the relative wind, and get flung out by rpm, but the blades move forward quite a bit. Does centrifical keep them straight out? Or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Neal
cabinwacoman is offline Find More Posts by cabinwacoman
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Pivoting forwards under power?
I forget if I checked for a physical 'stop', but otherwise it is just centrifical force - probably tied in with the blade profile design to make it all just 'work'.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
These first pics are of the naked wings. I then epoxied a small strip of uni carbon tape along the spar caps just to beef things up a little. I will add a couple short strips at the glue joint of the tip section.

Ok, they are not good pictures. I will get better, just learning this sites settings.

The last picture is my question regarding these folding props. I am assuming the centrifugal force keeps them in the right place during operation. Just seems odd how far forward they will pivot.

On to the hinging and glassing.

Neal
cabinwacoman is offline Find More Posts by cabinwacoman
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,776 Posts
Thats normal for folding props, so your good.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,327 Posts
question for those that have the pod mount motor. when holding this plane under wings with finger tips (as done when checking COG) and power that motor does your plane try to push the nose down drastically ?? We are having a hell of a time getting this bird to fly at all. last try full throttle hand launch instantly tipped onto left wing,could not get enough air speed for ailerons to work,broke off the left wing tip. This is a big motor 1000 watt with an 11x7 prop it is putting out around 930 watts,but still seems like it just does not want to lift. Thanks gents !
Old Today, 07:21 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
In theory, the Thrust Line (through the motor line... shaft) should pass through the CofG - if you want a 'neutral' aircraft resultant thrust line. So I would be checking that first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:13 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
question for those that have the pod mount motor. when holding this plane under wings with finger tips (as done when checking COG) and power that motor does your plane try to push the nose down drastically ?? We are having a hell of a time getting this bird to fly at all. last try full throttle hand launch instantly tipped onto left wing,could not get enough air speed for ailerons to work,broke off the left wing tip. This is a big motor 1000 watt with an 11x7 prop it is putting out around 930 watts,but still seems like it just does not want to lift. Thanks gents !
Hi!
You don't want to hand launch her with the pod mounted pusher engine. I'm one- for-one trying that with one very hard hit and one barely pulled it off launch. Too precarious.
It is normal to push down.
You want to ground launch. When grass is tall, i used a very short bungee and it works great. Put the hook 1/3rd back from the nose to
CG. Also, the hook takes some of the shark sniffin fuse-abuse.
OK?
More questions... Just holler
Take care,
Tom
TomTerrific is online now Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Today, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Hi!
You don't want to hand launch her with the pod mounted pusher engine. I'm one- for-one trying that with one very hard hit and one barely pulled it off launch. Too precarious.
It is normal to push down.
You want to ground launch. When grass is tall, i used a very short bungee and it works great. Put the hook 1/3rd back from the nose to
CG. Also, the hook takes some of the shark sniffin fuse-abuse.
OK?
More questions... Just holler
Take care,
Tom
Thank you... good info. what is your COG set at and how much lead did you have to put in nose ? We have a 1000watt motor on this baby so it should be plenty. We will try off the ground next go round. We are so used to our art-tech diamond 2500,s and ASK-21 by fly fly,did not even think about a off ground launch ! Thanks a million for the input