New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
133 Posts
Need help in deciding what to buy.

I'm disabled and on a fixed income, love to fly and I finally got $300.00 to my name and I would like anything to fly that has a reasonable flight time (at least 10 minutes), is brushless and without built-in flaws. Problem..I cannot find this. The one thing that flies for 10 minutes I was looking at ..the Blade 200srx..has many flaws out of the box that I would have to fix myself. Not going there. Looked at "racing 250 class quad copters" and the flight times are like 5 minutes.

I was told in another thread I would have to settle on a glider for anything up to 10 minutes..bah!
My UM Stryker 180 had a brushless motor, flew like a bat out of hades and I could easily fly it for 10 minutes. I notice that, and the other plane that flew a long time ..the archer..got discontinued. HH seems to have a habit of killing planes that have long flight times and coming out with planes that have shorter and shorter flight times..or am I the only one to notice?

So what's out there? I can fly anything really, quads, 6 channel heli, planes... Nothing seems good, all have some flaw or issue that keeps me from buying them.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not wanting to build a kit or anything like that, would be super nice to find a good quad (don't care about fpv stuff) that would fly for around 10 minutes.

My gem-of-a-find would be a nice Ornithopter, but man those are hard to find at a reasonable price!
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by old_coastie
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
Need help in deciding what to buy.

I'm disabled and on a fixed income, love to fly and I finally got $300.00 to my name and I would like anything to fly that has a reasonable flight time (at least 10 minutes), is brushless and without built-in flaws. Problem..I cannot find this. The one thing that flies for 10 minutes I was looking at ..the Blade 200srx..has many flaws out of the box that I would have to fix myself. Not going there. Looked at "racing 250 class quad copters" and the flight times are like 5 minutes.

I was told in another thread I would have to settle on a glider for anything up to 10 minutes..bah!
My UM Stryker 180 had a brushless motor, flew like a bat out of hades and I could easily fly it for 10 minutes. I notice that, and the other plane that flew a long time ..the archer..got discontinued. HH seems to have a habit of killing planes that have long flight times and coming out with planes that have shorter and shorter flight times..or am I the only one to notice?

So what's out there? I can fly anything really, quads, 6 channel heli, planes... Nothing seems good, all have some flaw or issue that keeps me from buying them.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not wanting to build a kit or anything like that, would be super nice to find a good quad (don't care about fpv stuff) that would fly for around 10 minutes.

My gem-of-a-find would be a nice Ornithopter, but man those are hard to find at a reasonable price!
Have you looked at the Sport Cub S2? With stock setup and 2200 mah bat, guys are getting 12 min flight times...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Bozos Live Here
Joined Dec 2012
133 Posts
Think I'll go with a quad, the walkera runner 250..while it has some quirks, has decent flight times.

I've recently just fallen in love with quads (even the toy ones are amazing actually).

Just wish I could find something under 200.00 that had brushless motors and either bound to dsm2 or came with it's own transmitter.
Sun Eagle is offline Find More Posts by Sun Eagle
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
691 Posts
ok bought a pitts last month been flying it slow and low with rols and inverted flight feet off the ground and high speed weaselly maneuvers so i came acros some extra cash and want the viking but i also like the e flight qq56 but the canopy will have to be painted black to hide the stupid looking motorcycle guy flying the plane....;o;
anyway i managed to find a place that has the qq and im wondering between the qq56 or viking any opinions would be appreciated
oh iv been flying the pitts with all the control surfaces on full throw except ailerons it rolls tight enough and its a sturdy little plane the viking looks no diferent
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Aug 19, 2015, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by Khaul
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post

Will 9min fly times do? It's just two channel, but it looks great in the sky.

Démo avitron V2.0 (3 min 43 sec)
Khaul is offline Find More Posts by Khaul
Last edited by Khaul; Aug 19, 2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old Aug 22, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Torch8
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,356 Posts
UMx Pitts 1s , Sbach , yak 54 or new P3 for wind handling? Which is more durable and easier to repair?
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Last edited by Torch8; Aug 22, 2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by bowieb
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaul View Post
Will 9min fly times do? It's just two channel, but it looks great in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JZcqpisDlA
That looks really cool! I had a rubber band powered toy that looked like that when I was a kid. Wind it up and let it go and it would flap around the yard.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by Khaul
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieb View Post
That looks really cool! I had a rubber band powered toy that looked like that when I was a kid. Wind it up and let it go and it would flap around the yard.
You had a Tim Bird They are great

Bionic Bird: Touch The Sky (2 min 6 sec)
Khaul is offline Find More Posts by Khaul