Find More Posts by Gleber
My hobby is an investment
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2008
201 Posts
Poll
Help! DX9 Black Edition VS JR XG11 MV

Hey guys,

I'm doing a lot of research before I buy my next radio. I don't fly big gas planes, most of my planes are .40 or .60 sizes with max 6 channels and I'm really getting into park flyers and Plug and Play (or Fly) planes.

I like a lot the design of the DX9, plus there are a lot of Bind n Fly planes available, Receivers are cheaper, also like the voice notifications feature and I really don't need 11 channels.

I don't like much the design of the XG11 MV BUT I trust JR more than Spektrum, have a better display in the sun light, I can add a module for DSM2 and resolve the receiver cost issue and Bind n fly.

New DX9 Black costs $599 and comes w/ one rx + an extra one free

New JR11 MV costs $799 and comes w/ one rx +2 extras ones for free.

The conclusion is at the end of the day the difference on the investment is about $50 bucks
So witch one you guys recommend as better choice?

Thanks
Gleber is online now Find More Posts by Gleber
Last edited by Gleber; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: its a pool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:47 AM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,837 Posts
If the difference is only 50$ why not visit your local Hobby Shop or clubs and see if you can find what you are looking for and HOLD them in your hands? See what's more popular in your area so that if you need help you get get hands on help from the locals....

I would certainly not be buying a radio I don't like the design of it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleber View Post
...I can add a module for DSM2 and resolve the receiver cost issue and Bind n fly.
The DX9 will do both DSM2 and DSMX automatically, provided you're not in the EU.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
8,720 Posts
Like buying a car --
In this case - you know what you want the radio to do
One radio -with a mod- will do much of what the other will do
The trust thing is based on --what?
Your own experience?
Comments from others ?
Positive known vs imagined unknowns ?
Yep, just like buying a car .
Go with the known values
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by AWorrest
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
975 Posts
I own a XG11MV. It has been a solid performer. My reasons for choosing it would not necessarily be yours. Both transmitters have much more capability than what you have listed for your needs. While having a transmitter that you can grow into can be advantageous, having one with unused, advanced features can also lead to confusion and frustration.

For your present needs, a less expensive transmitter might serve you better. Possibly the best decision would be to wait and see if your interests change to something more demanding. In a few years, both JR and Spektrum lines may have improvements that none of us can foresee presently.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by reverse
Joined Jan 2015
480 Posts
Quote:
New DX9 Black costs $599 and comes w/ one rx + an extra one free
if you need telemetry features in your small planes what would you do ?
get a bunch of crap TM1000 modules or expensive receivers with unnecesary gyro ?
you have no other choice unless you get a transmitter from another brand
reverse is online now Find More Posts by reverse
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:08 PM
Find More Posts by czorzella
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
Help! DX9 Black Edition VS JR XG11 MV

Gleber,

My radio is a Spektrum DX18; I also have a DX9.

I have telemetry modules TM1000 and TM1100 with several different sensors installed in each of my airplanes, sailplanes, quadcopter, helicopters and even on the cheapest zagi flying wings that I owned in the past three years and can assure you that I'm totally satisfied Spektrum customer.

If you have any questions regarding my gear, feel free to contact me either by PM or by posting here.

Carlos
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:10 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2008
201 Posts
Thank you for all the replies, guys. Keep it coming... I'm trying to get it decided before the end of the month so I can get the free receivers that both companies are offering now

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
If the difference is only 50$ why not visit your local Hobby Shop or clubs and see if you can find what you are looking for and HOLD them in your hands? See what's more popular in your area so that if you need help you get get hands on help from the locals....

I would certainly not be buying a radio I don't like the design of it.
Definitely I will stop by my local hobby shop this week and check both .

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Like buying a car --
In this case - you know what you want the radio to do
One radio -with a mod- will do much of what the other will do
The trust thing is based on --what?
Your own experience?
Comments from others ?
Positive known vs imagined unknowns ?
Yep, just like buying a car .
Go with the known values
Had a JR9303 and loved and trusted that radio after bad experiences with my Futaba's 7C, 9C and T10

The funny thing is I do work on car sales so I know exactly what you are talking about

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
I own a XG11MV. It has been a solid performer. My reasons for choosing it would not necessarily be yours. Both transmitters have much more capability than what you have listed for your needs. While having a transmitter that you can grow into can be advantageous, having one with unused, advanced features can also lead to confusion and frustration.

For your present needs, a less expensive transmitter might serve you better. Possibly the best decision would be to wait and see if your interests change to something more demanding. In a few years, both JR and Spektrum lines may have improvements that none of us can foresee presently.

Allan
I'm downsizing my planes... that's what I'm doing... but yes, maybe I go back to bigger planes in the future... who knows. I have an Airtronics SD10-G now, which I have for sale now... and I think the main thing is have the bind and fly feature from one of these radios

Thanks Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post
if you need telemetry features in your small planes what would you do ?
get a bunch of crap TM1000 modules or expensive receivers with unnecesary gyro ?
you have no other choice unless you get a transmitter from another brand
I think I'm really out of the other brands idea for now, but yes I love the cheap reliable receivers idea... that's why I'm questioning. I can pay $100 every time I need to add a receiver but know it is reliable OR just pay half for the TM1000 but I don't know how much I can trust it.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
Gleber,

My radio is a Spektrum DX18; I also have a DX9.

I have telemetry modules TM1000 and TM1100 with several different sensors installed in each of my airplanes, sailplanes, quadcopter, helicopters and even on the cheapest zagi flying wings that I owned in the past three years and can assure you that I'm totally satisfied Spektrum customer.

If you have any questions regarding my gear, feel free to contact me either by PM or by posting here.

Carlos
Carlos,
Thank you so much for your offer... and that's what I'm looking for: how happy you are as an owner of one of those systems and your recommendations and regrets

Thank you, again
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
Quote:

Carlos,
Thank you so much for your offer... and that's what I'm looking for: how happy you are as an owner of one of those systems and your recommendations and regrets

Thank you, again
As I said, I'm a very happy owner and so far, I have no regrets with this particular system.

HH as a company, is well known for its long history of providing excellent support for their products, which is very good for us customers.

Question: Is this radio system absolutely perfect? well, I wouldn't call it absolutely perfect, but it is my understanding that Spektrum delivers what is promised which is reliability, easiness of programming, and an incredibly efficient aftersales technical support, all at very reasonable and affordable price.

I follow very attentively several other threads about different radio systems and I suggest you do the same.

After reading tons of posts, I'm convinced that there is no such thing as the perfect radio system; no matter which brand, nor how expensive a specific radio is, you'll ALWAYS find happy customers and some rant from unhappy customers, in which if you pay close attention, you will conclude that almost always, that either the fault relies solely of pilot, who often neglects the basics in their setup, or you'll read posts from trolls willing to disturb people of good faith.

Anyways, I hope you find what you are looking for and also that you be happy with the radio system you select.

Carlos
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:41 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2008
201 Posts
The search is over

Ok,

So I went to my LHS (Graves R/C) today and finally I picked the winner.

They have abundant selection on Futaba radios and looks like that's the most popular radio here in Orlando. Since Futaba was out of my list, not a problem.

JR's... they didn't have any! They said since JR broke up the relationship with Spektrum it turned to be very difficult to service the JR radios. So they stop selling... time to time maybe one JR radio show up. And that's why I eliminated the XG11... not good availability on JR products on my LHS and not many folks around flying it. And of course I could not have my hands on it to feel the radio.

Now the Spektrum... they have pretty much all Spektrum radios available and receivers in inventory. I looked from the DX7 up to the DX18 which they did not recommend because many customers came back with complaints. They didn't have any DX18 stealth because HH requested it back to service due to an issue most of these radios came out.

Now the DX9... Love on the first sight
What a beautiful radio!
Great ergonomics, very well balanced, easy to read screen and simple menu interface. I'm so happy with my choice, so far. Spent good time reading the manual and watching a few videos how to do different setups. I found it a lot easier than my Airtronics and previous Futaba radios to program. The gimbals on my old Airtronics feel better nut maybe that's a matter of get used to it. Now, I can't wait to try it next Sunday.

Thank you all for your comments and votes.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2015
480 Posts
Quote:
They didn't have any DX18 stealth because HH requested it back to service due to an issue most of these radios came out.
unbelievable it's supposed to be their flagship radio !!
they should export the production line elsewhere or add new employees for QC
Old Jul 23, 2015, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
Gleber, now that you picked the DX9, make sure that you register your radio at spektrumrc, download and update both the Airware (firmware) and the sounds file of your radio before you start to do any setup.

I wish you all the best with your new radio. Enjoy it!

Carlos
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:20 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2008
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
Gleber, now that you picked the DX9, make sure that you register your radio at spektrumrc, download and update both the Airware (firmware) and the sounds file of your radio before you start to do any setup.

I wish you all the best with your new radio. Enjoy it!

Carlos
Thank you, Carlos. I just registered the radio... downloading new Airware
Old Jul 24, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,084 Posts
Quote:
I looked from the DX7 up to the DX18 which they did not recommend because many customers came back with complaints.
Would you do me a favor please?

Ask Graves (great place! Been there, loved it!) if they would please relay those customer complaints they received back to their dealer rep, and ask the dealer rep to forward them to me. I haven't heard of DX18 complaints, and would really like to know what the feedback is.

Thanks!

And thanks for getting a DX9!!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:10 AM
Joined Jan 2015
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I haven't heard of DX18 complaints
''I've had three DX18s with screen problems'' http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1233