New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
Joined Dec 2000
7,471 Posts
Question
Normal Operating Temperature range

What is considered a normal operating temperature range for Castle Edge/Ice ESCs?

I have a edge 120 on 10S, 90 mm EDF drawing 80 amps at full power.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,585 Posts
As I recall CC has said that anything up to 220F on the data log is good. I have a couple of helicopters that have been operating in the 180-195F range for many years with no problems. I think that the over temp shutdown kicks in at something like 270F.

For your EDF make sure the ESC gets some airflow. As long as it stays below 200F just keep on flying.

The data log measures internal temp so it will be hotter than you will measure on the outer case.

CC should add temperature information to their FAQ list. That question comes up of forums quite often.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 06, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by czorzella
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
CC mentions it in their product description pages...

"Controller temperature must never exceed 100C (212F). Exceeding current or temperature ratings may damage components and may shorten the life of the ESC. Always verify system current draw at full-throttle. Decrease load or increase airflow to decrease the ESCís operating temperature."

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x-edge-hv.html

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/talon.html
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jul 06, 2015, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,585 Posts
I think the reason we continue to have temperature questions is because customers are not sure if anything below 100C is normal. For helicopters many are going to see close to that number and I have not seen any failures due to consistent high temperatures. That’s why I think a FAQ would be appropriate.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 07, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Clintstone
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
975 Posts
The information below comes from the Castle Phoenix EDGE Page...
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...enix-edge.html

For my personal setups I like to keep the temps under 200'F and if I am getting hotter than that I create more airflow or I reduce load and sometimes I go with a larger ESC.
I hope this information is helpful.

*RC HOBBY APPLICATION RATING: 50 amps for the duration of a single 4,000 mAh battery pack with the ESC in contact with a 5 mph airflow of 25C (77F) or cooler air. Controller temperature must never exceed 100C (212F). Exceeding current or temperature ratings may damage components and may shorten the life of the ESC. Always verify system current draw at full-throttle. Decrease load or increase airflow to decrease the ESC’s operating temperature.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Jul 07, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
Joined Dec 2000
7,471 Posts
The reason I asked the question is that I plan to add a temp sensor to my controller and monitor through my radio (Jeti DS Series). RC Man I read the info on Castle's Controllers and already knew the controller shuts down at 212F or 100C. Yes I have pulled the data logs and know where the controller temps average. But typically there is a design spec for optimum number of duty cycles on such a device and that is the info I can not find on the website so I posted the question. Thanks, everyone for your responses.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini