New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by bergenflier
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
New Product
Hobbyzone Stratocam RTF with SAFE

A new Horizon spin on the old Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos.
UPDATE: Video Released. Here's the video:
HobbyZone® Stratocam™ RTF (1 min 35 sec)

Key Features

Everything you need to fly RC today
720p HD Camera with SD card included
SAFE technology from Horizon Hobby
Instant flight recovery with Panic Recovery Mode
5-Channel aircraft with working throttle, rudder, elevator and camera control
Dual electric motors
1300mAh 2S 7.4V Li-Po battery for long flight times on a single charge
Breakaway wing limits damage in the event of a crash
Removable landing gear and skid included
Interference-free 2.4GHz technology
Impact-resistant Z-Foam™ construction for maximum durability
Overview

Join the growing community of RC pilots recording HD video of their high-flying adventures with the HobbyZone® Stratocam™ aircraft. Ideal for the aspiring photographer and pilot alike, this outstanding aircraft comes with everything needed to capture hassle-free aerial footage. Integrated SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology makes the Stratocam easy to pilot so you can focus on capturing the aerial action using the compact EFC™-721 HD camera included with the aircraft. Simple to use analog sticks give pilots command over steering, throttle, climbing and diving while the camera is controlled with a convenient trigger. If you ever lose control of the aircraft, simply release the control sticks, and SAFE® technology will return the aircraft to level flight. After your flight is completed uploading your recordings is simple and getting ready for your next adventure is even easier.

Material: Z-Foam
Wingspan: 41.3 in (1050mm)
Length: 30.5 in (775mm)
Flying Weight: 17.5 oz (496 g)
Motor Size: Brushed 180 × 2
Recommended Motor Battery: 7.4V 1300mAh 20C 2S Li-Po Battery
Airfoil Shape: Multiple airfoils
Minimum Required Radio: 4 channels (Included)
Servos: Included
Trimscheme Colors: Decals
CG (Center of Gravity): 10mm in front of landing gear wire
Propeller Size: 4.75×2.5
Minimum Speed Control: Brushed ESC (Included)
Elevator: Proportional
Rudder: Proportional
Throttle: Proportional
Flaps: No
Retracts: No
Approximate Flight Time: 10 minutes
Available Frequencies: 2.4GHz
Charger: AC/DC (Included)
Pitch: Yes
Landing Gear: Yes
Steering: Yes
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Approximate Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour
bergenflier is offline Find More Posts by bergenflier
Last edited by bergenflier; Apr 13, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 01:59 AM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
1,961 Posts
If they can do this they can do a Delta Ray with brushless motors...
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by fred256
Joined Jan 2014
100 Posts
Looks like the motors in this model are brushed, probably even exactly the same ones as in the DR.
fred256 is online now Find More Posts by fred256
Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:29 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred256 View Post
Looks like the motors in this model are brushed, probably even exactly the same ones as in the DR.
It will still make a great AP trainer. I just wished they made it like a DSM2/DSMX version, but it uses it's own 2.4 gHz frequency that is not DSM2/DSMX like the old Stratos.
Old May 01, 2015, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
988 Posts
I love my Strati (I have two).

I will probably add this one to the collection, too.
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old May 03, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Nova - K
rcnova
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Jul 2009
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred256 View Post

I find it interesting that the motors have a new code number. I wonder if they are upgraded like the pro180s to give additional thrust to carry the added weight and drag of the camera.

HH - are these motors upgraded and will they drop in the DR????
Nova - K is offline Find More Posts by Nova - K
Old May 04, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Rain1dog
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
990 Posts
God I want this and a new dr and install the Xtreme motors.
Rain1dog is offline Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old May 05, 2015, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Warbird & Jet Lover
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,406 Posts
Note the new price. Now it's $199 instead of $249. Just listening and responding to feedback.

We're still working on getting some more compelling video content. Springtime weather in the midwest is fickle!

I can't speak to the motor questions at the moment - will have to track down those answers.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Old May 05, 2015, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
988 Posts
Awesome Dave.

I'm gonna get one when its released.
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old May 06, 2015, 03:57 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Note the new price. Now it's $199 instead of $249. Just listening and responding to feedback.

We're still working on getting some more compelling video content. Springtime weather in the midwest is fickle!

I can't speak to the motor questions at the moment - will have to track down those answers.
Dave-thank you so much.
I enjoy Horizon's planes, and Ive been wanting to get my hands on a FB Stratos from ebay.
When I saw this come out- I was determined I would get a hold of one.
But when I saw it was $249, my parents would not allow that (I'm a kid.).
So this can help me out.
So thanks for the price change!
Old May 11, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Nova - K
rcnova
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Jul 2009
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

Thanks for the update.

Let us know when you have more info on the motors. We are keen to know more.
Nova - K is offline Find More Posts by Nova - K
Old Jul 04, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
504 Posts
I'm surprised this thread on this new plane hasn't gone beyond a page. Is there no love for this plane or what? The Firebird Stratos was an awesome flying plane. I still have mine and it's just an incredible flyer. Was wondering about this new version though. I'm not a fan of SAFE technology at all. It's great if you're a beginner, but it's a PITA if you're not. The old Firebird had Virtual Instructor in it which was basically a kind of AS3X. I was just wondering if flying the Stratocam in Advanced mode was the same exact feel as flying the Firebird. I know the Firebird sort of mixed the elevator and rudder. And I'm assuming you can't fly the Stratocam on a DX6i because there is no way to operate the camera. Does anyone know anything about this new Stratocam?
smittyboy is online now Find More Posts by smittyboy
Old Jul 04, 2015, 03:59 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
I'm surprised this thread on this new plane hasn't gone beyond a page. Is there no love for this plane or what? The Firebird Stratos was an awesome flying plane. I still have mine and it's just an incredible flyer. Was wondering about this new version though. I'm not a fan of SAFE technology at all. It's great if you're a beginner, but it's a PITA if you're not. The old Firebird had Virtual Instructor in it which was basically a kind of AS3X. I was just wondering if flying the Stratocam in Advanced mode was the same exact feel as flying the Firebird. I know the Firebird sort of mixed the elevator and rudder. And I'm assuming you can't fly the Stratocam on a DX6i because there is no way to operate the camera. Does anyone know anything about this new Stratocam?
I love this plane's looks and I want to get it.
I feel as if I should get what I want, but one person bought it already, and he says it crashed in the wind. Maybe he was flying it in too windy of a day. I'm up for this guy.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenflier View Post
I feel as if I should get what I want, but one person bought it already, and he says it crashed in the wind. Maybe he was flying it in too windy of a day.
Foam Airplanes + Wind = Bad day flying

I NEVER fly on windy days. Patience is a virtue. I would love to go out and fly today, but the treetops are blowing around – a clear sign that flying might prove disastrous. The best time to go flying is around 7:00PM, just before the sun starts going down. At this point the wind starts to die, and if it's not dead calm by 7:30PM, then it's not going to be a good day to fly at all. That is my mantra! You can also do the early morning thing as well, but I'm a night owl so mornings are out.

The Firebird Stratos was/is a great flyer…hands down. It boggles my mind how this plane didn't stay in production longer. They say the Stratos was replaced by the Delta Ray, but the Stratos is a way better flyer, IMHO. So nice to see it released again, but I have to admit, FPV doesn't hold much interest for me, but I'd still buy it just for the flying pleasure. My only concern is how does it compare in the air to the old Firebird Stratos? Anyone? And again, I am shocked this thread hasn't grown at all. I guess it's not selling very well, which doesn't make sense, but the big complaint with the old Firebird was that you could only fly it with an RTF Tx, which discouraged alot of perspective buyers.
smittyboy is online now Find More Posts by smittyboy
Old Jul 04, 2015, 05:27 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Joined Jul 2014
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
Foam Airplanes + Wind = Bad day flying

I NEVER fly on windy days. Patience is a virtue. I would love to go out and fly today, but the treetops are blowing around – a clear sign that flying might prove disastrous. The best time to go flying is around 7:00PM, just before the sun starts going down. At this point the wind starts to die, and if it's not dead calm by 7:30PM, then it's not going to be a good day to fly at all. That is my mantra! You can also do the early morning thing as well, but I'm a night owl so mornings are out.

The Firebird Stratos was/is a great flyer…hands down. It boggles my mind how this plane didn't stay in production longer. They say the Stratos was replaced by the Delta Ray, but the Stratos is a way better flyer, IMHO. So nice to see it released again, but I have to admit, FPV doesn't hold much interest for me, but I'd still buy it just for the flying pleasure. My only concern is how does it compare in the air to the old Firebird Stratos? Anyone? And again, I am shocked this thread hasn't grown at all. I guess it's not selling very well, which doesn't make sense, but the big complaint with the old Firebird was that you could only fly it with an RTF Tx, which discouraged alot of perspective buyers.
May be my replacing my only SAFE plane.. My Sport Cub S just got steered into a tree by faulty rudder.