HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:42 PM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a new 3D plane for 6s

Hi guys I have sold my 3DHS 72" Extra and i am going to purchase a smaller plane, have been looking at the Precision Aerobatics Katana MX, Is this the best in the class? im looking for a good 3d plane, don't want an Addiction XL looks a bit to floaty for my style, thinking that an MX is a lot sharper, Also liked the Extreme flight 60" Edge, I would love to hear an opinion on whats the best plane in this class. Regards...
natwill is online now Find More Posts by natwill
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:47 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,758 Posts
Any of the 60" Extreme Flight planes would be worth a look.
I'm partial to the Laser, myself... but I also have the Edge and a couple MXS's as well.
They're all pretty amazing.

I know some who prefer the Extra above all, and some others are really liking the new 60" Yak.
Check out any of the threads, or videos all over YouTube, and pick the one you like the best.
I don't think there's a 'bad' choice among them.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:50 PM
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply, do you think that they are better planes than the Precision Aerobatics range
Old Feb 08, 2015, 08:53 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,651 Posts
I think you're playing with the right three brands... for the maneuvers I like to fly, 3dhs and Extreme Flight would be my choices (cuz they can tumble harder with more energy, faster roll rates, etc etc).
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 08, 2015, 09:21 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwill View Post
Thanks for your quick reply, do you think that they are better planes than the Precision Aerobatics range
I've only ever flown the Addiction, Addiction-X, Mini Katana, Extra 260 and Ultimate AMR from PA. Don't know anything about the bigger Katana to say one way or another.

Of the ones I have flown, they were all pretty fun in their own way, but they all seemed a little too floaty for the way I like to play.

I have to defer to others as far as 3DHS choices go. In balsa, I only have the 57" Extra SHP as a point of reference.
I really liked that plane but I don't believe they sell it any more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2015, 10:48 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,614 Posts
I have a 3DHS 59" Slick and an Extreme Flight 60" Edge on 6s. They're both great planes.
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
I have been looking at either the Extreme Flight MXS 64" or Precision Aerobatics KMX i feel slightly drawn to the P.A. for some reason, (maybee its Micheal Wargo's Flying....) but just like the look
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:56 AM
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
dose anybody know if the P.A. KMX can use a single 4500mah 6s? or dose it solely rely on 2 2200mah 3s? linked in series.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 08:19 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,758 Posts
No idea, but you may have better luck on any specific plane by posting the question on that plane's dedicated thread.
I'm pretty sure there's one for that plane on here. Best place to find lots of folks who would know
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2015, 09:54 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,808 Posts
I am loving my EF 60'' laser. Big plane, and flys great. Plus the construction is the best I have seen in a 60'' bird.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 09, 2015, 10:32 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natwill View Post
dose anybody know if the P.A. KMX can use a single 4500mah 6s? or dose it solely rely on 2 2200mah 3s? linked in series.
As you noted, they're for 2200's. relatively, they are actually smaller in size to the 3dhs 58" Edge, 57" Extra (which would run a 6S 2600-3000 pack). Much smaller indeed than the 72 Extra.

An easy way to think of relative size is to multiply the cell count by the capacity like as if it was a single cell...

PA's 6s setup: 6 x 2200 = 13200
3dhs 4S setup (58" Edge, 57" Extra, etc): 4 x 4000 = 16000

Extreme Flight's 6S: 6 x 2600 = 15600
...up to 3000: 6 x 3000 = 18000

your 72" Extra pack: 6 x 4500 = 27000

This makes the relative sizes easier to understand. Energy density is pretty much equal, so it also represents the general pack weight. The number of cells in series really isn't a good description of size, need to take into account the capacity for a total.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 10:34 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,212 Posts
I have no doubt that if you get any of the 60 inch extreme flight airframes that you will absolutely love it. To me the deciding factor on witch one to get is. 1 the type of flying that you primarily perform. 2 witch one you like the looks of the most. They all do everything exceptionally well just some excel at certain things. Any rolling maneuvers or a floaty plane the Yak is king. If precision and grace is your thing the Extra is your plane. If extreme aerobatics is what you prefer then go for the MXS. A good even mix of everything I would say you want te Laser. If you want the harrier king and easiest plane to fly go for the Edge. Or just pick witch ever you think is the sexiest because let's be real they are all great at it all. I can't comment on the PA plane that you are iterested in because I haven't flown one. But I have flown the Bandit. And it is compleatly out classed by all of the EF 60 inch planes and for that mater the 48 inch EF planes. Unless you have perfect calm weather all the time and you want a plane that flys like an EPP foamy.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman
Last edited by Gregertman; Feb 09, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
I've been flying a lot of plane of the three "top" manufacturers, but I must say that by far the best one is the KMX (which I fly aswell with 2x3S as with a single 6S pack) Flying with 6S has the advantage that the motor doesn't draw as much amps as with 4S and you can fly longer with smaller batteries.). I am really wondering that so many people in the States try to promote EF...although MAN definitively did select the KMX to be the best plane in his cvategory (I assume that the People from MAN know what they are talking about)
Jonathan (France)
lecaidduvol is offline Find More Posts by lecaidduvol
Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:09 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaidduvol View Post
I've been flying a lot of plane of the three "top" manufacturers, but I must say that by far the best one is the KMX (which I fly aswell with 2x3S as with a single 6S pack) Flying with 6S has the advantage that the motor doesn't draw as much amps as with 4S and you can fly longer with smaller batteries.). I am really wondering that so many people in the States try to promote EF...although MAN definitively did select the KMX to be the best plane in his cvategory (I assume that the People from MAN know what they are talking about)
Jonathan (France)
I'm going to bad-mouth the magazine (not PA) here; did they give any award to anyone who doesn't spend advertising dollars with them?... magazines are like that, I'm sure no company even got a look-in who didn't have an advertising budget with them. Model Airplane News has some cool articles every now and then by Glezellis, who certainly knows his stuff, but he's also not a product reviewer that I have seen.

...now, FlyRC when Scott Stoops was reviewing toys, that was an opinion I could respect...

all this said, if the KMX is the kind of plane one likes to fly, then the KMX is the plane for you!
Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:29 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,212 Posts
Yep exactly what KM said above. The winner will always be someone who advertises with the magazine in question. And Extreme Flight and 3DHS doesn't advertise with them. So who did they beat? Was the contest between PA and Horrizon Hobby and Great planes. Alright back on topic. If you wat a plane that's light and floaty the the PA plane might be your choice. But if you want a plane that is more versatile then go EF.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman
Last edited by Gregertman; Feb 09, 2015 at 11:41 AM.