Old Jan 18, 2015, 04:56 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
Build Log
112" Republic Twin Seabee ( Twinbee )

Hi gang.
A buddy( Rob) and I have been sitting on plans to build a giant scale Seabee for a couple years. In the mean time we bought a GP sales Sea bee kit an assemble it with an electric power system. Overall, its a good flying plane, but the lack of prop clearance limits the power and thrust you can have.
Moving to the scratch build project, we took a set of plans and had them blown up to the size we wanted.

Since this is a scratch build, not laser cut parts, no fiberglass cowl or floats, we'll be making our own.

The plane is being designed to accept the EVO 20cc motors. http://www.horizonhobby.com/20gx-20c...carb-evoe20gx2
They're on order now and I expect to have them this week. We already have an EVO 33 in a Hangar 9 Beaver and couldn't be happier with the performance, so its a no brainer to use a pair of 20cc motors in this build.
The plan shows a single engine plane, so we'll be modifying to make it a twin.

First thing we're doing is building the wing. Thats the most difficult part of this build, do we'll tackle it first.
The wing is a three piece setup, with the center section originally designed to stay with the fuse. We'll change it slightly and make the center section wider, incorporation the dihedral and the two motors. Doing this, the outer wing panels will simply slights right onto the wing tubes.

Off we go.
We cut most ribs out of 1/8 balsa, the rest are 1/8 a/c ply where the motors will attach, The panels will be capped with 1/8 liteply.
After that was accomplished, we clamped them all together with a ply rib on each side and touched up the tops and bottoms with a sanding block. The spar cutouts were also sanded to perfection while they were clamped together.

Setting the ribs aside, we designed out spar system and build the spar box. Our plan is to build an A/C ply spar, which incorporates a hollow for the 7/8 aluminum tube which attaches the outer panels. West Systems epoxy and a bunch of clamps will soon produce a bullet proof center spar.

The build will take time, we only get a couple evenings a week to work on the plane, so I hope you'll stick around and see what the results are.

LEN
RcAerotowing.com
Team Horizon
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Last edited by Lbuff1; Feb 08, 2015 at 08:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:44 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,839 Posts
A great project, and despite its size will be a lot quieter than any single-engined Bee!
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:08 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
And faster than the full scale too, even with one engine out. lol
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:30 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,649 Posts

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:25 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
The spar was allowed to cure and then trimmed to size. Very strong.
Our motors arrived from Horizon Hobbies, wow, these are really nice motors. Excellent machining and great muffler system.
We'll be starting to frame the wing soon.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:44 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,081 Posts
This should be fun !

subscribed

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:49 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,463 Posts
Old school,, cutting with saws and stuff,,, cool
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:38 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
Thanks guys.
Since I had a little time today while the epoxy was curing on a large scale sailplane I'm assembling, I thought I would draw up the cowl and Nacelle for the 20cc motors.

Believe it or not, I think I got it the first time through!!!

Yippee

LEN
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
The wing tubes and sleeves arrived yesterday, so we're now able to start construction of the wing panels.
We've decided to build the two outer panels as a test and motivational move..
The panels are straight forward.
There will be a ply doubler for the wing tube as it passed through the ribs. To cut the center hole perfectly in the ply double, I purchased this slick adjustable drill bit from Hanson, WORKS AWESOME.

LEN
Old Jan 30, 2015, 07:46 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
We're moving along slowly

The LE and TE have been fabricated and installed as well as the rear alignment tube doubler's
Sanding the LE and TE is best done with tape over the ribs to help eliminate damage to the ribs.

Next will be installing the strut blocks, tip float blocks, shear webs and wing tub will get glued in.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 08:31 AM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
2,463 Posts
Looking good, but I'm just throwing in a comment,,,

I'd support that tube sleeve at each rib, not just at the ends. I've seen and repaired wings that were not supported properly. I used light ply to make rings.

good luck

p.s.
pics of the repair here
http://s7.photobucket.com/user/JoeFr...?sort=3&page=2
scale_only is online now Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 AM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate and welcome observations.

The tube fits pretty tight between the upper and lower spar's, then we plan on using tri-stock to fill the corner, plus the sheer webs. It'll be pretty much a solid piece when all completed.

If it was only relying on the ribs, I agree 100%

Good observation.

LEN
Old Feb 02, 2015, 04:09 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,572 Posts
The left outer wing panel has been just about complete.
Sheeting was added, trimmed and sanded. We're adding knuckle hinging to the trailing edge, so I ripped and angle on a piece of 3/8 tri-stock so it would match the slope of the airfoil, the one on the bottom edge was left square.
After is all sheeted, run a dowel with sandpaper on it to get the correct shape.

Now onto the right panel
Old Feb 02, 2015, 04:16 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
978 Posts
Very cool indeed...subbed.
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Feb 07, 2015, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,460 Posts
I love Seabees almost as much as Stinson Reliants. Have old Cleveland plans for single engine Seabee. I would opt for electric power especially in the twin version due to fear of one engine out scenarios. I'm sure you are experienced, but I would be careful to mount anything that weighs anything as far forward as practical to avoid problems with possible tail-heaviness. The twin EVO's mounted as tractors may obviate tail-heaviness concerns though.

Good luck with this ambitious project. Will watch progress with much interest.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged