SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:00 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,500 Posts
Discussion
65M Multihull Class - based on the RG65 size monohull

Another variant of 65cm size in multihull configurations.

Note - the link goes to the class page where one can purchase hull, rig and appendage components, for catamaran or trimaran configuration. This site has been donated by the owner of RCSails, and he is responsible for number assignments, the website and the parts for the multihulls.

M65 Multihull Class Web Pages
http://www.rcsails.com/65m/

Here is a photo of a couple that were built as trimarans.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Jun 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Mar 2014
80 Posts
Depron foam wing sail 65M - attempts to foil

Another boat to add to Dick's thread. Recently I put some effort into trying to get a 65M wing sail cat to foil. Ultimately I was unsuccessful and decided to move to a bigger boat. However, I was quite happy with the performance of the boat in some of the configurations I tested. To begin with, the boat was remarkably resistant to pitch poling if a T-foil rudder was used. This can be seen in this clip where I was testing L-foils in strong winds:

RC 65M Wing Sail Catamaran - First attempt at skimming (0 min 46 sec)

On this boat I used a very simple wing sail, which was extremely simple to make. The wing functioned really well, but probably wasn't a particularly high performance wing. I think that if I revisit this boat I will be putting a bit more effort into the wing sail profile.

RC 65M Wing Sail Catamaran - Testing Foil Configurations (1 min 40 sec)

This boat was the most fun to sail with a T-foil on the central dagger board. This made flying the windward hull much easier and remarkably stable. Perhaps not the best in terms of performance, but fun to sail.
rcmm is offline Find More Posts by rcmm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
65M depron hulls

Hi All,thank you for the welcome. As I am 80 revs of the sun soon I'd better get a move on ????! My depron 65M is now out of class as like my 1M the out hulls are set forward for stability,result ?they cartwheel but always seem to end up right way up in a good blow.My basic idea of construction is to build a good frame for the cross beams and mast/fin position so that the hull just clips on.It does not have to take alot of stress or it just tears apart.If you fit wood gunwhales to the hull,then fit a cross beam that fits under this and add a further wood cross beam
that fit between the gunwhales to deck level for front and back cross beams it gives the hull a good frame to take the strain.I then fit a solid piece of wood across the hull at this point so that the cross beam attatchment has something to screw into.this has worked well over three years.Depron problems,I have found that dents and scratches can be repaired by mixing polifiller for wall plaster repairs with a little water and a small amount of water proof glue,fill the damaged area,leave overnight then sand and repaint.Another problem is the age of the depron,My hull has developed invisible leaks along the joints .I used Uhu Por glue for the construction of the hull,but it appears that the depron is going soft .My only thought is that depron is excellent for developing ideas,quick and easy to use.The
cat. I have just built has already got 2ply side cut out ready to build it in wood.
I have already started a replacement hull for the tri. Regards Tricat
tricat is offline Find More Posts by tricat
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Hi RCMM I like your foil testing and as you say full foiling is still elusive,but the single T foil has been on my mind and as you mentioned did lift the windward float etc.,My thoughts were if the single T foil lifted the windward float then the aim is just enough to clear the water no more as the more the sail is upright the better its performance.My thoughts on multis is why still have a surface piercing foil still in the water if your lee float is deeper in the water and gripping well.So by adding your T foil blade partway down the foil once the windward hull clears the surface the multi will excelerate,more speed more apparent wind which will hold the hull at a steady heel maybe with the T foil out of the water as well, hence even less drag even more speed ?!! 15 deg.of heel could be a point for clearance of the centre placed foil.
or somewhere near.I think the whole point for a foiling 65m maybe weight.My new cat has its foils in the hulls,the total sailing weight is 410g,but sadly the test in zero wind only showed that it floated well.Have you seen the PSK minimum foiler on youtube or the 65mfoiler
PSK is brilliant,the 65M shows it can be done. regards to all Tricat
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2014
80 Posts
Tricat,

Thanks for the ideas. I will certainly give your T-foil idea a try. Andreas on the Mini40 forum is trying a similar idea with a UptiP foil.

I have seen the PSK minimum foiler, but not the 65M foiler. Do you have a link?

Good luck with your cat. I'm impressed with the weight (410 g), I've only managed 650g to date on a 65M.

Jim.
rcmm is offline Find More Posts by rcmm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Hi RCMM, I am sorry I gave you duff info on the foiler it should have read RG-65 Foiler,I have looked it up just now on YouTube,it was dated 2009.Oh yes My one meter tri is not depron
it is a 1M hull with winter foam insulation floats which were easily modified in rocker and position
2 were made for A-B testing. Have you seen this YouTube video Briefing-Americas Cup catamaran wingsail for info ? Regards Tricat
Last edited by tricat; Jun 16, 2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: missed out floats on 1M trimaran
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:32 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,500 Posts
I thought I would post another photo of an existing M65 multihull.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
working the wing sail

Hi Guys,Sorry for the delay I was completing my 80revs of the sun !I noticed
that working the camber of the wing sail was mentioned.My easy way is to use a boom that has the boom pivot aft of the mast,as standard on most racing model yachts.It is designed to give more camber as you ease the sail out.At the moment
I have a soft sail to the shape of a wing sail,the front wing is the pocket luff that rotates around the mast,the clew is at the end of the boom as usual.It performed well on its own when compared with my jib/mainsail swing rig of slightly bigger area.The only reason the boom may be rejected is the full size yacht rigs do not use a boom.To me it is easier to see how well it will perform first, looking right will be the next step of developement.After all weight for weight a servo and mechanics will probably equal the boom and kicking strap.What do you think ?Also
the clew end does not need to go as far as a monohull rig,10 deg out to say 30 deg
as it is fitted to a fast sailing model multi where the apparent wind is forward of the beam all the time.I hope this helps Tricat
Old Aug 14, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
516 Posts
M65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
I thought I would post another photo of an existing M65 multihull.
==================.
From my past experience I've been concerned about the stability and touchiness of a small multihull. It can be hard to keep a 48" cat or tri under control-what's your experience been with these small multi's?
I'd like to hear from anyone else with a lot of experience sailing these small multies.
Dick, would an oversquare beam be legal? I'm seriously considering trying something very small with foils-it would definitely be oversquare. I haven't decided whether to do an M65 or a One Meter but I'm leaning toward the M65.
DLord is online now Find More Posts by DLord
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:00 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,500 Posts
Doug
For this M65 Class, the only criteria is 65 cm LOA .

No limits on sail area, profile, mast height, weight, etc. Design will become what would 're is best.

Dick
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:04 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,500 Posts
I thought about some lead at bottom of each board but shaped like the board- not like a bulb.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:41 PM
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
57 Posts
The above photo is of my M65 Armageddon here's another - At 747g RTS it's quite fast - very stable but can be a little tricky to tack at speed -
foxwyck is online now Find More Posts by foxwyck
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:16 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,500 Posts
Holy Cow !!!! Are all of those yours?
Please tell me it is a pond side storage for a fleet, club, etc.

Looks like we may have some added posts coming in the future as the DF cat becomes more widely available and if interest continues.

Thanks for your continued help in promoting the class before it became the "class du jour"

Dick L.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:42 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
small multihulls

Hi all, Foxwyck I've heard of fleet racing but not one man fleet racing: !!!! About small multis
My trimarans are out of class by the fact that the outer floats are set forward for stability reasons ie the basic stability footprint triangle.the reasoning is you can now design the very fastest shape for the outer hulls and put the centre of buoyancy further forward without having to spoil the design for best efficiency.It does not effect the balance of the multihull steering wise.Another feature is as I see it is as the centre hull is lifted with it being slightly aft its weight is also aft like the dingy crews in the gusts.My 65M[out of class]is stable in a blow and has no vices except for you sail it with a little lee helm most of the time.I will see if I can dig out photos of it maybe a vidio if I can find it. Tricat
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:30 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
small multihulls

Hi guys,I have found two videos.One is of 65M maiden voyage with temp.outer floats Watch the sister ship of mt 1M the lake is about 250 meters across.The second is my 1M with experimental mainsail.both 1Ms were used for A-B testing
rigs, beam float rocker and stability
Last edited by tricat; Aug 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: unable to download videos