HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:21 PM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
347 Posts
Hello Rochester et al.
North of the border... we used to fly there in another millennia....
..when the Hay-day of RC soaring was in vogue. Some of you might remember the CAN-AM Challenge from ... oh, way back...?

You go away, have family, come back to RC soaring and the world changed.!!
So... back in the hobby world, there are a few of us in the Hamilton, Toronto area that probably would be interested in knowing your season's comp schedule.
Aside from a few local events, we have to travel to Muncie, or Kentucky,
or Chicago area, or further to get our F3K, or TD, or F3J fix.
A much easier trip to your neck of the woods for we who have slowed down a little, (in our minds at least).

Hope this isn't too much of a high-jack of the thread.

Thanks and Cheers
Ray Munro, SOGGI, and COGG clubs.
Hamilton
http://www.soggi.ca/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Doc, nice to hear from you again. I am working out the events for this coming summer and although I don't have all of the details worked out here are a couple of things you can count on.

Our monthly events are held on the third Saturday of each month. We begin in April, weather permitting, and go through October. We have done this for the past couple of years and it seems to help attendance when people know well in advance what day the event will be on. .....

Wayne
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 01:02 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,797 Posts
we got rules around here- ain't no such thing a highjackin! we gotta keep checkin for thawed conditions though!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:22 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
574 Posts
FWIW Ray - I hope you realize this thread is for Rochester, Minnesota, not Rochester, MIchigan. There is some soaring activity in the Rochester / Detroit area, which would be closer for you, but Rochester, MN would be much farther for you than Muncie or Chicago.

Tim
(onewinch.com)
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:46 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,649 Posts
Hi Ray, I really like the idea of a CAN-AM event but what Tim pointed out is true. We fly in southeast Minnesota and I think we might be a little far from you for a one day event. If you, or any of your club mates, ever find yourself in Rochester, Minnesota please let me know and I will make sure you get your thermaling fix. We have a large medical institution here and believe it or not people travel from a long way away to seek treatment.

Say Tim, do you think the OneWinch can handle launching a Sailaire? Unless you say "no don't do it" I am going to give it a try this spring. Line speed should not be a issue as the Sailaire is a gasbag and doesn't fly all that fast. It is only a question of who will pull harder, me or the Sailaire.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:36 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
347 Posts
Ha... Hi Tim..., embarrassed here. Did not get the idea I was reading about
Minnesota... too funny. Actually was referring to Rochester, Ny... which is relatively just down the road from us. Passed through your area, once, on the way to an F3B event in Manitoba....that's as close as I got.
FWIW..the Can-AM Challenge took two years to set up. Canadian and Us. clubs ran a series of local events over one year, and for the sake of ease of
organizing, took the ten top from both sides, and set a date, for the following year in Princeton, Ontario, for the weekend. The local sod farm owners gave us an entire
green house and shop for set up and storage,.... which was really appreciated...because it pee'd rain the entire weekend. A real bummer
for two years work, but our US. friends invited us down for one of their
big events and the comp went off with a lot of fun.
You folks have a great season, and maybe we will see some of you
at Muncie.
Best wishes
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2motheus View Post
FWIW Ray - I hope you realize this thread is for Rochester, Minnesota, not Rochester, MIchigan. There is some soaring activity in the Rochester / Detroit area, which would be closer for you, but Rochester, MN would be much farther for you than Muncie or Chicago.

Tim
(onewinch.com)
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:12 AM
3 Sons - Legos and Lift
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Apr 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Say Tim, do you think the OneWinch can handle launching a Sailaire? Unless you say "no don't do it" I am going to give it a try this spring. Line speed should not be a issue as the Sailaire is a gasbag and doesn't fly all that fast. It is only a question of who will pull harder, me or the Sailaire.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

The OneWinch can handle it . Can you?

I've been wanting to put up a Sailaire myself, but haven't had the opportunity yet. Here are some ideas for the first launches.
1. Add force, either with a bigger power source (two people?) or by reducing the pulley ratio. Be sure the safety stakes are in solid.
2. Release at a shallower angle than normal.
3. Weave your way up so that you're not fighting directly against gravity.
4. Be sure you have some wind.

I want to see video!

Tim
http://onewinch.com
2motheus is offline Find More Posts by 2motheus
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:10 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,649 Posts
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the pointers. I have been refurbishing an old Sailaire I picked up this winter and should have it flight ready by this spring. I am getting eager for spring to arrive. I went through the Raven just last week to make sure it was ready for the upcoming season. I also checked over the OneWinch and other than needing a little lubrication on the pully bearings it is working as well as the day I got it. I couldn't tell you how many launches I have made with it and it just keeps working. It comes to every Rochester Soaring event plus I take it along whenever I go out on my own.

I will get you some video of launches, I'll see what I can do about some still pictures too.

Wayne
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:52 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,649 Posts
Spring is coming, are you ready?

Hello my fellow Rochester Soaring pilots. Just thought I would post this 10 day weather forecast. Looks like 40 - 50 degree weather is possible for next week. Spring will be here sooner than you might think so be sure to have those sailplanes ready to go. Now is the time to be checking them over and making any repairs or replacing any questionable electronics. That first great day is right around the corner and you don't want to be grounded due to a repair you have been putting off or a replacement part.

I went through the Raven about two weeks ago, I also went over the OneWinch and the little sport winch. Everything is good to go for that first warm day. That day could be next week, are you ready?

I posted a few event updates on the website so be sure to go and check out what is planned for this upcoming season.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 02, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:39 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,797 Posts
And gotta show up fer werk @ 0630! Hmm now to rechedule things! HMMmm
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member