New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,899 Posts
Discussion
stabilizer on 3d planes

i have been flying 3d for a while, and recently considered using a stabilizer (those with gyros) to see if my planes could be easier to fly when attempting hanging vertical.
there is a thread on them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2164243 and at the end i posted a question regarding the issue.
i got an answer that sounds encouraging (post 2502):
he said:
I use a gyro in this Pogo that does fly vertical, sort of a poor mans 3D
It's set up conventionally, as when you do go to level flight, the gyro is operating properly. As far as vertical goes, the gyro doesn't know that the plane is vertical. The surfaces operate in the same manner, even at zero speed. The gyro makes it much more comfortable to fly. It flies in level flight much like a trainer plane.
Gord.

so, besides him, has anybody tried them for 3d?
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by ahicks
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
2,158 Posts
I use the Orange 3 axis, and for what they cost, would recommend them without hesitation on anything on the 1m (39") or bigger wingspan planes where the weight is easily written off/offset with increased performance.

I find flying in the wind is much easier, as well as high alpha and knife edge. It's certainly not like you're on auto pilot or anything. You're darn sure still flying the plane, but it's like you just have more time to think? Found that hover results not that big a deal. I suppose it may be possible to tweak the gains for enhanced hover performance, but that's not been necessary for my flying style.

They're available as a stand alone or with built in (DSM2) receiver. Link to stand alone:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by poppopfox
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Lemons

I have a 39" epp plane that I was about to give up on because of wing rock while attempting harriers. Installed a Lemon 7 channel stabilized receiver, with the gains set on the low side, and now I can move up on the learning curve, wing rock is gone. To be honest, I also installed some small vg,s on the wing so that may have helped as well. Others have remarked that a stabilizer (gyro) makes the smaller planes fly bigger (smoother, like with a higher wing loading). +1 on that and I'm glad I gave it a try.
poppopfox is offline Find More Posts by poppopfox