SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by sneasle
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,992 Posts
Metal screws in plastic are usually only good to about 5-10 cycles before the plastic has been deformed enough that they will no longer bite.

It may not be worth it when the t-slot nuts can be purchased for reasonable prices. It's a trade off, and you can always pass the decision to the customer.

I guess it also depends on what you intend your distribution model to be here. I had assumed your aim was to supply the parts that people _could not_ easily source on their own. If that is indeed the case, the t-slot nuts shouldn't be an item that you need to worry about.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by astropuppy
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
193 Posts
I bought my Adjusto Jig in the early 1990's. As I recall the jig with the fuselage pieces sold for around $100, can anybody confirm or deny my vague memory?
astropuppy is offline Find More Posts by astropuppy
Old May 08, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by 2michaely
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
199 Posts
Ajust o jig's ad in the july 1990 issue of RCM has the price for the wing jig at $80 and the full house (w/ fuselage pieces) at $90

... I've seen them resale now at around $130 to $150 plus shipping and the full jig weighs about 8 pounds

Michael
2michaely is online now Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old May 08, 2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by astropuppy
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
193 Posts
Thanks for looking the price up Michael. My memory is better then I remembered it being

As soon as I find a box to ship it in, I'll be posting mine in the classifieds for a reasonable price.
astropuppy is offline Find More Posts by astropuppy
Old Jun 14, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by mhudson
Joined Feb 2015
3 Posts
A while back I downloaded a cad drawing the I believe you made showing the dimensions of the rib jig for an A-Justo-Jig. On your drawing it only has one set of rod holes. I recently saw a picture of the original jig that shows two sets of rod holes, one for symmetrical ribs which corresponds to your drawings and another set of holes located just above and to the right of the symmetrical holes. Do you also have a drawing that would correspond to the second set of holes. I could make an educated guess as to how to place them but would really prefer and exact measurement on them. Thanks
mhudson is offline Find More Posts by mhudson
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:23 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,992 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a rib set with a second set of offset holes.

Do you still have the picture? Can you link it?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha35
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
129 Posts
The rib hole indexer my drawings were based on was from an A-jig I bought in 1975.
Later versions apparently added a second pair of holes to be used for "flat bottom and under-cambered wings". See photo 4 from following ad:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440866

GeneH
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Last edited by Alpha35; Jun 20, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:00 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,992 Posts
Ah, I understand now. I assumed you were talking about the red rib indexing braces that follow the length of the jig.

Ya, mine doesn't have that second set of holes. Interesting.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 02:12 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
The rib mounting - hole locator jig my drawings were based on was from an A-jig I bought in 1975.
Later versions apparently added a second pair of holes to be used for "flat bottom and under-cambered wings". See photo 4 from following ad:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2440866

GeneH
Gene,

Thanks for drawing to our attention this second set of rib holes for flat and undercambered airfoils.... I'll incorporate this when I shopbuild a better hole locator jig - as per the plans you generously posted earlier in this thread. Using a rigid 1/16"to 1/8" clear plastic hole indexer will be an improvement over the "floppy" thin plastic material and I'm going to extend the jig to accommodate ribs up to 17 or 18" in length.

Michael in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:14 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,992 Posts
Michael, the shipping cost might end up being really high, but I wonder if we could have your design cut by someplace like BigBlueSaw?

If we got enough people together to bring the unit cost down, it might be worth it.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:45 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
Michael, the shipping cost might end up being really high, but I wonder if we could have your design cut by someplace like BigBlueSaw?

If we got enough people together to bring the unit cost down, it might be worth it.
It's not my design, but Gene H/Alpha35's... see post 191 in this thread for a hyperlink to photos and three drawings.

To me the most significant enhancement in what Gene has done is rigid clear plastic for the indexer having the twin holes; making it easier to register the sharpened brass tubing that I use to cut twin holes in the balsa ribs in the indexer, as well as not being as 'floppy' and the file folder thin plastic used in the retail product.

I'll use solid wood for the base and layering of high quality r/c plywood for moveable, right hand holder of the plastic indexer, waxing the holder and the sides of base for easy movement.

Others may use differ materials, lengths of the jig, etc.

A one off project for my own use.

good luck,

michael
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by slammer1
Plane Basher
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Joined Oct 2005
227 Posts
I'm sending you this pm rather than posting in the forum so that the discussion stays as its.
If you do start marketing an updated version of both the wing and fuselage jig that I'm a very interested buyer. I had one of the jigs back in the 80's and my parents threw it out not knowing what it was.
Here is my email address so that you can add me to your mailing list or directly contact me if and when you go back into production.
slammer1 is offline Find More Posts by slammer1
Last edited by slammer1; Jul 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM.