HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:06 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
Help!
Thompson Trawler Outrigger Instructions

I don't know if there is /are instructions for the Dumas kit #2106 "Deck Hardware for Thompson Trawler Including parts for Mast and Outriggers" but if there is and someone has a copy of them I would sure appreciate a copy. I have the boat, runs very well, but would like to update her by building the outriggers and other deck hardware. I do have a box labeled Kit no. 2106 which contains 'some' tubing and wire plus other Misc. parts. Be nice to know what to do with them.

Tanks,

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:45 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,843 Posts
Glad to.

Nothing but the main sheet in my box...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
903 Posts
Dang, I love this forum........ It's like "Abracadabra ! "
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:25 AM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
Pat,

Thank you.

Bob
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:41 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,696 Posts
My question is are you going to make them operational. My Andra Gail Can raise/ lower hers. I used a landing gear servo under the pilot house. I like functions some of my models have over 30.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:49 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
Gill,

Yes, I want to make the outriggers operational, makes it more fun. Another builder scratch built a shrimp boat and used a continuous rotation servo to raise and lower the outriggers. If you have a build on your Andra Gail I will look it up and study how you used the landing gear servo. There are a few things I can do to this boat to make her "mine".

Bob
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
Here is mine

One of the pictures is not great but you can get the idea. The lines from the real winch below go through the deck behind the fake one on the deck.
hampboats is offline Find More Posts by hampboats
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:58 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,843 Posts
Hmmm, makes me think twice about wanting to sell my TT kit...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:25 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Hmmm, makes me think twice about wanting to sell my TT kit...
Ditto.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:05 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
hampboats,

What are you using raise and lower the outriggers, landing gear, continuous rotation servo or some other ingenious method?

Bob
Old Oct 16, 2014, 01:36 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
For Pat and green-boats remark about thinking twice, and all other responders;

In late Aug,2008 I bought a TT kit out of CA, it was shipped via a worldwide shipper and arrived badly broken, at least the hull was badly broken. At that time I was new to model boating and I should have kept it and repaired the fiberglass, but other pairs were missing through the broken box so I let the seller make a claim. I took out things that were not broken, cabin, cabin roof, some die cut plywood the motor, prop and even removed the drive shaft assembly.

It has taken this long for me to finally get another TT and while this one runs just fine, I want to improve on it to make it "my" TT. The original builder did a great job and I would not detract from him one bit, I just want the original TT.

This may take me some time, but it will be done and I'll probably have questions to ask. You have all been warned so there may be more questions with photos to help, hopefully, for explaining.

Bob
Old Nov 01, 2014, 06:34 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
hampboats,

What line are you using? You say "The lines from the real winch below go through the deck behind the fake one on the deck." but are these lines Braided wire fishing lines? If so, what color and pound test? If not, what type of line are you using? There are only three lines on the boat I bought and no extra line in the 2106 Deck and Outrigger kit he gave me; so I'm kind of stuck there.

Thanks for your help, or anyone else who happens to own a TT,

Bob
Old Nov 02, 2014, 11:57 AM
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
winch line

I originally used black braided cloth fishing line but I didn't like the look plus I couldn't get the right scale look either. I found this spool somewhere but unfortunately I don't recall where. I think it is used for furniture sewing.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 03:48 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampboats View Post
I originally used black braided cloth fishing line but I didn't like the look plus I couldn't get the right scale look either. I found this spool somewhere but unfortunately I don't recall where. I think it is used for furniture sewing.
Thanks, that gives me an idea and a place to look.

Bob
Old Nov 02, 2014, 05:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
160 Posts
Possible operating winch

If you don't want to build a winch from scratch you can try the following:
1) r/c sail winch 2) convert a fishing reel by removing the handle and attaching a geared motor and esc to it, 3) a built winch , see the info below or 4) or what the 1/10 scale guys use on the front of their r/c trucks, The sliver one use a DPDT switch to wind and un wind, the red has it own remote.

K65310 Electric Working Under Deck Anchor Winch Twin Drum 6V
This new electric winch lets up to two anchors of your ship model fall freely and then lift slowly again. This is controlled via a proportional channel with a servo (included) which holds the anchor in position. It pulls the anchor up in one direction, and disengages the geared motor in the other direction to allow the anchor to fall freely.

A slip clutch ensures that should the anchor get jammed, no damage can occur to the motor. In the model the winch is installed under the deck. It can also be used for other activities on models.
The winch is supplied as pre-built assembly with a strong 6V geared micro motor, a servo, micro-switch.

Width: 130mm
Length: 60mm
Height: 60mm
6 Volt Operation
Part No: K65310
http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/info_K65310.html