HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Build Log
NT Jets MIG 15 EDF Build

Thought I would start a thread on one of these NT Jets MIG 15's that Hobby People distros. Picked one of these up for $999 on special, so a decent price point for the sale price. Here is the stock model per the marketing:
Pandissix is online now Find More Posts by Pandissix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
This will be a team build...so David Pearson and Jeff Fassbinder will be adding to the forum...Plan is to keep it mostly stock per the manual with a few changes from the instructions.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
First non stock option is I refuse to keep this in the original decals which are junk in the box. Will stencil and panit on national markings and weather the MIG. For now will keep it the Moscow aerobatic team Red...but changing the # to Black 12 as shown
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Also instructions call for the ETurbax fan...but I went with Uncle Tams TJ 120 for power. This will be a 12S setup, with 12X for guidance.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Soviet MiG-15 Aerobatic Teams - part1 (9 min 55 sec)

Cool old video of the real deal in action.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
First impression out of the box....is this is a big SOB!!! drawfs my JHI F86 and make the BVM Viper look like a Habu....this is a big piece of gear.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:26 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
always loved the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:29 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,288 Posts
cool man, glad to see someone getting one together
saw it down at the AMA show and I thought for the money it was a pretty sweet looking plane
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Yes for $999 not a bad price...for what it is...Not BVM quality but a decent sport jet for the price which includes the retracts. Have 19 days to get this built and tested for the local Scale event at PVMAC...so clock is ticking. If I was HP or Larry over at JHI I would be marketing this and their Panther hard at the events and offer a killer combo deal....Are the listening???
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:36 PM
Die Meistertinkerer
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jan 2006
493 Posts
The awkward battery requirements have kept me shy of this one, but looking forward to the build here! BTW, Love the Luft' 46 scheme on the Bandit!
Frankensteen is offline Find More Posts by Frankensteen
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankensteen View Post
The awkward battery requirements have kept me shy of this one, but looking forward to the build here! BTW, Love the Luft' 46 scheme on the Bandit!
Yes thats a Todd Burley Paint special in JG54 scheme on the viper....got keep it different...Who the hecks paints a BVM Viper in Luftwaffe colors anyways...love the reaction it gets...and rips arse with a TJ100 in it....love it.

With the Lipos....Planning on using some 4S 7600 MAH X 3 in it....hopping to see If I can shoe horn those in around the ducting....I will show photos of what the plan is later...

Second option is 5S X2 2S X1 that I use on my Bandit...That may work as well. Want to use Lipos on hand and not have to purchase anything special.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 09:04 PM
Die Meistertinkerer
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jan 2006
493 Posts
I recall that Viper being for sale at one point, but missed out. I have a badly damaged N Tech Panther (muffed a tail-heavy hot maiden landing), and am considering another airframe to put my EVF 5612 in. I've got 5s saddle packs and 2s boosters, and don't think they'll work in the MIG. Watching with interest to see what you can work out.
Best of luck with it!
Frankensteen is offline Find More Posts by Frankensteen
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Here's what I came up with for air valve, stem and servo locations. The wood was quite warped so I backed them with spruce sticks. Notice the lift under the air control valve to bring it up to the servo arm height. All airlines from the control valve will point down so I can tidy them up to the bottom of the fuse under the ducting.

The inlet ducting slides in and out of the nose and is secured to the nose cone with tape. The nose cone is to be attached with screws.

Batteries will go on each side of the ducting under the windscreen.
david010567 is offline Find More Posts by david010567
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Nose gear retract, strut, wheel and servo are installed. The threaded stud that was on the strut for the steering was too short. I could only get a turn or two with the supplied nylon fitting. I swapped it out for 4-40 threaded rod, nuts and new nylon fittings.

I made small half circle notches in the wood retract rails for clearance.

Servo, retract screws were all pre-threaded into the wood, removed and the holes hit with thin CA before final installation.

Plenty of clearance between the tire and the bottom of the gear doors.

So far so good...
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Is it just me or is the nose gear retracting opposite from full scale?