HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
Build Log
Ritewing 50" DEMON. Huge Power!!!

I've built and flown a couple of Ritewing 40" Demons. The DV2 I'm flying now has flown on up to 3000 watts on a Mega 16/40/1.5SCE motor and 7S 4000mah. It's done 175mph level, and I think I'm pretty well topped out on the 28mm motor.

So to get a plane that will run absolutely insane power to hopefully get even faster, I got this new Demon 50" from CK.

It's a scaled up Demon 40" in nearly every way. 700 sq. inches of wing area, versus the D40's 450 sq. in. The airfoil is 1.95" thick and 20" long (with elevons) at its largest point.

The build will have double .210" main spars, fiberglass "rebar" surface spars at 25% chord, full glass weave and 3M-90, and 5mil lam film covering.

My plan is to run batteries between 10-12S 4000mah.
I may also run 10-12S 5000mah if I find myself buying some new packs.

The motor will be a 36mm size. Length will have to be determined after the plane is built and I can figure a little better how the motor weight will affect CG.

Here's the initial gear layout. Completely up for thoughts and suggestions. Some pieces of gear are obvious stand-ins.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
It's early in its life, but I think this thing's cool enough and mean enough that it deserves a name NOW.

How about...

EXCALIBUR
Last edited by murdnunoc; May 28, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:04 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,367 Posts
Murdo,
It may be the same span as a TL50 but dainty it ain't!

Your speed exploits lately are leaving me speechless and this Demon "Hammerhead" 50 continues the theme!

Just a coupla questions:
  • Do you think the motor mount plate is large enough?
  • Is the motor mount plate hard up against the location of the rear spar in the photo?
  • Did you think about having the long edges of the front two batteries parrallel to the left and right leading edges and the third battery straddling the root to assist with gething the CG more forward?

I tried mocking up a standard Demon for a Mega 22/50 but quickly realised a nose pod was the only way. Then I got distracted by Strykers again......

Good luck! I'm sooooo keen to hear your flight report!

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old May 28, 2011, 12:05 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
only one thing to say : awesome
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old May 28, 2011, 01:09 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
[*]Do you think the motor mount plate is large enough?
It's scaled up from a standard mount plate. I reinforce the dickens out of my motor mount area, impregnating the foam with PU glue and wrapping the assembly with 3-4 layers of glass. Then that glass gets soaked in PU.
I don't see a whole lot of point in making the plate extend anywhere beyond the rear edge of the clamshell. So I made this one kinda stubby.

Quote:
[*]Is the motor mount plate hard up against the location of the rear spar in the photo?
It sits on top of, and overlaps, the rear main spar. This is how I've done it on the 40.
I don't know if it'll be stronger or weaker if the plate butts up to the spar rather than overlapping it.

Quote:
[*]Did you think about having the long edges of the front two batteries parrallel to the left and right leading edges and the third battery straddling the root to assist with gething the CG more forward?
That's the second battery layout I'm considering. It WOULD get the CG more forward, and as battery technology gets lighter for more amps, the batteries get lighter in comparison to the motor they can max out. So having room to slide them up is a good thing.
The downside to this layout is that it makes a very wide battery bay. The bay is an entirely monococue (skin tension only) structure, and as the unsupported part gets longer, it gets weaker.
If the center of the plane will be strong enough with a 13" wide bay, I'll run this configuration. Just haven't quite decided if it'll be strong enough yet.

Isn't a flying wing with a nose pod just a....
stryker??

Last edited by murdnunoc; May 28, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
...Isn't a flying wing with a nose pod just a....
stryker??
LOL! Yeah, that's what I thought too!
Old May 28, 2011, 04:14 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,367 Posts
So Murdo,
Was this a special cut just for you or does CK intend the giant Demon to be a ongoing part of his line up?
Old May 28, 2011, 07:34 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,429 Posts
Quote:
It's early in its life, but I think this thing's cool enough and mean enough that it deserves a name NOW.

How about...

EXCALIBUR
*Like*
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
i would do V config using 4 packs
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old May 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
OK, I'm seeing that it's definitely worth at least having the option of running the front two packs in a "V" pattern. I can cut the bay in a V shape and wide enough for these two packs up front, and then maybe taper it down behind those two packs to the width of a single pack, and make it long enough front to back to fit the three packs in the normal configuration if I'm not hard up for nose weight.

The sheer size of the plane should be able to cope with the larger battery bay. I'll be getting creative, too, with my fiberglass "rebar" to add some support through the area.
I'd love to hear ideas to help the creativity along, too!

Boosted, to run four packs, they'd all need to be 3S packs, as there's hardly a HV ESC out there that can handle over 12S. I could do a series-parallel setup, with something like 7S 8000 or so. But that's some huge amps. And I don't want to try and squeeze an ICE 160HV or Ice 200 in here.
I will cut the battery bay with some extra float room to keep my battery options open, though.

-------------

EDIT:
OK, here's the proposed battery bay. The lines are only the part that will be hogged out. The outside shelf for the coro will be added once I settle on the layout.
Last edited by murdnunoc; May 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,794 Posts
Thats perfect because I have ben calling it the Demon X for extra large, but that works great too

I will callya in a bit.
Quote:

How about...

EXCALIBUR
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old May 28, 2011, 12:51 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
Here's the main spar setup I'll be running, according to CK's counsel.

Two main spars .210" carbon tube.
One 3mm fiberglass rebar surface spar under the main spars.

The fiberglass spar is offset from the main spars to allow clearance for the motor wires to snake between them through the slot that will be cut into the bottom of the trailing edge. I've run into problems with clearance for the 6mm bullets before, so I'm extra careful now to plan the clearance early into the build.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,449 Posts
Awesome looking wing! Keep us posted on the build and hopefully some video of speed runs.
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old May 28, 2011, 12:56 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
So Murdo,
Was this a special cut just for you or does CK intend the giant Demon to be a ongoing part of his line up?
It'll have to be verified with CK, but I think it's in the lineup of stuff we can order. Maybe not ready and stocked, but do-able.

May not be that many out there that want to cram 10KW into a foam wing
But it sure is nice of CK to cater to the psychos that do!
Old May 28, 2011, 01:10 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-slowflyer View Post
Awesome looking wing! Keep us posted on the build and hopefully some video of speed runs.
Thanks, BC.
I'll do my best to stay posted. My tendency is to start out strong on sharing the build, then get so wrapped up in the build that I forget to take pictures and post about the progress. So it goes from Sharpie stage to flight video.

But with this being the first build on the big 50, and with trying some new build techniques, I'll make sure to take a breather now and then and post on it.

If I start drifting away, reach through the Inter-tubes and slap me!!