HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
Discussion
motor noise, should i replace or run into the ground?

I recently had to rebuild my sport cub due to a unfortunate crash head on with the ground after a tree god got in my way upon final approach. I replaced the fuselage, prop, cowl, (and from another unrelated incident during transport) rear stabilizer. well now that im back into the air I have a loud grinding/vibrating noise coming from the motor. I removed the prop and found that the noise is coming from the motor. the motor has the same performance it once did and the plane flys pretty well, its just really noisy. but what I need to know is should I run this motor until its no longer turning or replace?
This kind of sucks because at this point with another 50 bucks to spend I should have bought a new plane...lesson learned I guess.
nascarjonb is offline Find More Posts by nascarjonb
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined May 2014
97 Posts
If there is something wrong with the motor there is a chance it could fail at any time, hopefully not just after you take off. Have you checked the shaft isn't bent?
craigfoot is offline Find More Posts by craigfoot
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
yes shaft is straight I think the noise is bearing noise internal to the motor. I have taken off the adapter and the prop and the noise is still there inside to motor. have you experienced this before?
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2013
669 Posts
I had the same thing. In my case, one of the internal magnets had jarred loose from a previous crash. It was askew and rubbing (easily repaired). The only way to find out is to get the rotating "can" off and have a look-see. There are several very detailed posts on how to dis-assemble a typical out-runner on this site and on youtube - do a search. To avoid all this pain, you might want your next plane to be a pusher prop-in-slot job. You can even build one of those super easy deltas (plans abound here, and cheap as dirt).
nuteman is online now Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
4,157 Posts
The magnets have com loose in the motor housing. Get another motor.
gabe221 is online now Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sport Cub S
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Often, not always, a loose magnet will bind the motor. As the motor is still turning I would guess a bad bearing. On some motors the bearings can be replaced. What brand motor is it? If the replacement motor is less than $20 I would get a new motor.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
this is the stock sport cub...so it only says parkzone
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Hmmmm .. hard call. I never have cared for some of the PZ motors. Might be cheaper and easier to replace the motor instead of the bearing. The only way you can really tell if the shaft is not bent is to remove it from the motor and mic the shaft or do the roll test on a flat piece of glass.

ETA ... let me ask this. It is a brushless motor, correct? Not familar with this PZ plane so that is why I ask. Some of the Flyzone planes did at one time come with a brushed motor. I am not sure if PZ ever did the same with their product line.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Hmmm .... is it this motor?

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4416

If so, due to the cost you can try to replace the shaft and bearings. The bearings you would have to get elsewhere. You can also look at HeadsUpRC and email them and ask about a replacement motor for the plane. It will be much cheaper.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/480-15-Class_c254.htm

I think the Firepower 480 1100 will probably work but you will need to measure out the motor length, etc. to know for sure.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-E-640.htm

Make sure to get a motor that mounts the same as your current motor.

You can also cruise over to the ParkFlyer forum and ask around there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Just look at the Horizon website. This motor is $ 44.95 to replace. I also think you should pull the can off and check for a loose magnet. That's a possible diy fix.
eagle1960 is online now Find More Posts by eagle1960
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,576 Posts
If you're tired of paying to replace parts, why would you fly with a suspect motor? Running a damaged motor is an excellent way to fry your ESC, which in turn is an excellent way to cause a crash.

The first thing to do is pop the motor open and look to see if there's anything caught inside it. Inspect the magnets for cracks or missing chunks. Check the bearings to see if they're sticking or grinding, and make sure the shaft is straight all the way through. If the motor is still turning and doesn't heat up any more than it used to, there's a good chance that it's an easy fix.

Worse case, if you need to replace it, don't piss away money on an OEM replacement. The only reason they can charge fifty bucks for a motor is because so many people don't know any better. There are plenty of drop-in aftermarket motors available for like half the price or less.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Won't hurt to check for the loose magnet. Still, it is a PZ motor and frankly, I would not bother to glue a magnet back into one, especally as this one looks to have the plastic/composit end plates. For $20 plus shipping he can get a new motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
yes this is brushless why would heads up rc supply be cheaper? I am going to take this to work tomorrow and take it apart to see whats going on I have done some research and you guys are right...you can take this apart.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Its a $20 dollar motor that is better built than the OEM. As mentioned by others, take it apart as it can't hurt and you will learn something about the motor.

If you change the shaft you may need a way to press out and press in the shaft. Some come out easy and some do not. The last PZ motor I had used set screws in the composit housing. Be careful to not strip the head out of the hex set screw or twist out the threads of the housing.

Nothing wrong with the DIY approach.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Nov 2014
26 Posts
I have the tools as I am a Chrysler technician so tools and even a hand press is not a issue I just did not know they were able to be serviced. if not Im gona order a aftermarket motor im guess I need to use the same park 480 that the specs call for..