SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2015, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by dontrinko
Joined Nov 2013
94 Posts
Discussion
secret to installing reed clip on Cox 020?

I have done this twice but it is blind luck and it takes me forever to get the reed clip in on my 020 Cox.
Is there a secret? I can see why the newer cox have a different reed retainer.
Thanks; Don
dontrinko is online now Find More Posts by dontrinko
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2015, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Ricinus communis
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
290 Posts
Shouldn't be that hard, no secrets or factory only tools. Set tank on a hard surface, reed cavity facing up, put reed in. Start with end of keeper opposite the bent end, set it into recess and use thumb and fingernails to ease it in the rest of the way around. Take a small set of needle nose and use the bent end to scoot the clip around a bit to make sure it's fully seated.

Will be more difficult if you chew your nails.

For QA, stick a piece of fuel line over the venturi tube and suck/blow to make sure the reed is seating.
ahrma_581 is online now Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Old May 19, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by fiery
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
683 Posts
When the reed is 'set' and you have a good seal on the intake (make sure the tiny "O" ring is in good condition and sealing the join) if you out a drop or two of fine machine oil in the engine and flick it over, you will hear the reed "pop" open when the engine is turning over (by flicking the prop).

If you hear the "pop", generally all is good on the induction front.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; May 20, 2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,454 Posts
One other thing is to look at the reed closely, the edge may be curled slightly. You want the curled edge facing away from the engine towards the back of the fuel tank. They stamp the reeds out, and that sometimes leaves the edge curled slightly.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 20, 2015, 06:15 AM
Find More Posts by dontrinko
Joined Nov 2013
94 Posts
Thanks; I blew into and sucked on the inlet to the reed and it seems to work. Don
dontrinko is online now Find More Posts by dontrinko