SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Randall Miller
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
182 Posts
Discussion
Is the G62 magneto old technology?

I'm new to gassers. I wanted to buy a G62ei from Horizon with electronic ignition, but they are out of stock. I have a 10% off coupon for this $430 engine and must use it soon. Should I buy the magneto engine from them instead at $460 ? (and 10% off) I'm planning on putting it in a Topflite Giant P-47 where I can use some weight up front, so I don't think the extra weight of the magneto G62 engine is an issue. But I feel like I'm buying an older style technology engine at a little more cost too.

Is this still plenty fine an engine?....... or should I hold out and look for the ei version somewhere else and forfeit my 10% off coupon. In the end, I'm still more concerned about a good running engine rather then saving $43 to $46.
Randall Miller is offline Find More Posts by Randall Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2015, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,455 Posts
Well technically the magneto is considered old technology. But it is proven to be quite reliable though. Many people still prefer the magneto ignition on their RC motors. So it winds up being a personal preference kind of thing. If the added weight is not a issue, then it can work well for a person. So going with a magneto is not bad, it can be pretty good. No battery to charge, it powers itself. Quite reliable, not a lot there to go wrong. You can still hook a switch up to it for killing the engine remotely too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 29, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Joined Oct 2011
887 Posts
The only drawback I see.is the mag engine is a little more difficult to start and slightly less power. Only real negitives due to fixed timing.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Apr 29, 2015, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
3,005 Posts
the zenoah magneto is actually a CDI system. don't know about it specifically but a lot of similar CDI systems do have timing control.

and maybe get a hold of Ralph Cunningham and see if he can set you up with one of his G-62s?
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Apr 29, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
887 Posts
I remember at one point CH made a device called a Jump Start that plugged into the mag system and retarded the timing for easier starts. Once started it was unplugged and the original timing point was restored. That was a while ago and I guess changes could have been made.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
3,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
I remember at one point CH made a device called a Jump Start that plugged into the mag system and retarded the timing for easier starts. Once started it was unplugged and the original timing point was restored. That was a while ago and I guess changes could have been made.
i always thought that was to provide the ignition with the needed voltage so you wouldn't have to flip it so hard? maybe it did both?
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
887 Posts
Possible as it did require 4 AA batteries. A.buddy of mine had one and had explained.it as a.timing deal.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
3,583 Posts
Wrong location for my post, so moved to;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post31486146

Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Apr 29, 2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Post moved
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Cee
No wonder they sent you away !
Joined Apr 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
Possible as it did require 4 AA batteries. A.buddy of mine had one and had explained.it as a.timing deal.
Yes , it is a booster to bring up the spark output at low cranking speeds . Actually used in many magneto systems over the years . The rotational speed on some types of magnetically triggered self generating systems also influence timing .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
3,583 Posts
Gary, see my extra note in this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=24

When we use the rising flank of the positive AC signal for ignition by triggering at certain level. Than we have an advance of timing because the amplitude of the AC output of the sensor rises when RPM rises. We can switch over to zero crossing below certain rpm to start the engine.

The AC sensor detects the magnet.

Cees
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
14,455 Posts
It is possible to add a electronic circuit to the magneto system that can change the timing and also help boost the spark too. It can use the AC voltage to help power the electronics to create better sparks, advance and retard the timing. I do not know if Zenoah as such a circuit in their systems though. But in looking at their engine and how it is setup, they appear to have a electronic circuit in there though, and they advertise it as having easy starts too. So I would think they have it covered really well.

The modern scooters use a AC alternator with a extra coil to provide the timing signal. They use a CDI system as well. A couple rotations of the engine is enough to get it started and then the CDI builds up power to provide the better ignition then. You can usually kick start them too as the ignition system isn't powered by the battery either.

My lawn mower has a sticker on it that says transistorized ignition system and it uses a magneto. it also says it has a easy start system built in too. I will say it is pretty easy to start too. You don't have to really pull hard on the pull cord with it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 29, 2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add more info
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Cee
No wonder they sent you away !
Joined Apr 2010
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer View Post
Gary, see my extra note in this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=24

When we use the rising flank of the positive AC signal for ignition by triggering at certain level. Than we have an advance of timing because the amplitude of the AC output of the sensor rises when RPM rises. We can switch over to zero crossing below certain rpm to start the engine.

The AC sensor detects the magnet.

Cees
That is it Cees . The rising output at higher rotational speeds triggers earlier and advances timing . The early trigger modules that Briggs and Stratton (among others) used simply replaced the breaker points and triggered the spark from the flywheel magnet energized AC coil .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
3,583 Posts
Old school Gary, 3:00 midnight in the Netherlands, darkside of our hobby!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
3,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
That is it Cees . The rising output at higher rotational speeds triggers earlier and advances timing . The early trigger modules that Briggs and Stratton (among others) used simply replaced the breaker points and triggered the spark from the flywheel magnet energized AC coil .
Breaker point ignition.

Taurus Flyer
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by Philkoury
Philkoury
Picayune, MS
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
I have a total of 8 Zenoah engines all of them in or going in warbirds. Only one has electronic ignition. I
Philkoury is offline Find More Posts by Philkoury