New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Let's see... If the wing tube is too tight for the hole you can do 2 things - make the hole bigger- not a good choice. Or- rub the tube with some steel wool or 600 sandpaper. It should fit snugly. I've offered plenty of advice and tried to be as polite as possible. Honestly when I see your questions about basic building techniques it makes me believe that this kit is above your skill set.
It Is not above my skill level, it is above my patience level. I have done many Horizon ARF's in the last 5 years and they never had the amount of problems I have had with this one. Sure there were some things that they replaced immediately, so has Topmodel, but every wing tube has always fit perfectly every time. The directions are terrible, I think a plane of this caliber, should be assumed to be bought by some people who may be new at this. I am not exactly new to this, I use to kit build 30 years ago and I just got back into it 5 years ago.
Electromagnetic is online now Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2015, 11:19 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Progress

I have spent way too many hours today on this that I had not planned on (I am not retired), but I do have the wing assembled and sitting on the fuselage in a vise set up to align the wings. I will post photos later today.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by gquiring
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Let's see... If the wing tube is too tight for the hole you can do 2 things - make the hole bigger- not a good choice. Or- rub the tube with some steel wool or 600 sandpaper. It should fit snugly. I've offered plenty of advice and tried to be as polite as possible. Honestly when I see your questions about basic building techniques it makes me believe that this kit is above your skill set.
100% agree with you Rich. I'm glad you finally said it.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old May 15, 2015, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by otherhalf2
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
595 Posts
I've just finished mine with no problems apart from the HiTech servos they recommended. The ones for the ailerons don't function on standard wiring. Aparently they require a heavy gauge wire to stop them juddering. Too late when I have the wiring installed but no prob just fitted some others I have. Otherwise all went well. Just heading out today to maiden so will see how she goes. I can see how frustrating it could be when you get an oddball model.
otherhalf2 is online now Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old May 15, 2015, 03:28 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Long Day

I have been at this since 7 am. I like where I am at right now despite the hurdles. The wings are on and perfectly aligned with the tail geometry.
Last edited by Electromagnetic; May 15, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 03:38 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
I've just finished mine with no problems apart from the HiTech servos they recommended. The ones for the ailerons don't function on standard wiring. Aparently they require a heavy gauge wire to stop them juddering. Too late when I have the wiring installed but no prob just fitted some others I have. Otherwise all went well. Just heading out today to maiden so will see how she goes. I can see how frustrating it could be when you get an oddball model.
Did you use the Hitec digital servos? I have them in the wings and I used the heavy gauge wire. I thought at the time it was overkill but I guess not. Keep us posted about your maiden. Pictures would be nice. Good luck!
Old May 16, 2015, 06:42 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
Finishing up my Prelude I noticed the elevator is way off. I saw this mentioned a few posts back. This really is sad that a model like this would be so far off. And with that funky elevator bellcrank setup it's not very easy to fix, especially if you already installed the rudder like I did.

What kind of fixes have been used? Should I use a heat gun to adjust it a bit or just fly it as is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
I have built three Preludes, they are all perfect from the factory except for the elevator issue. The tube has a bend in it. You must align it correctly.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=115

Can you elaborate on this please?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by NoResults
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
Electrich, Do you still have any of the bushings you used to modify your plane? I would be glad to purchase two or do you know where I would look. This looks like the ideal way to correct the problem.

Thank you, Dave
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
Old May 19, 2015, 10:29 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Electrich, Do you still have any of the bushings you used to modify your plane? I would be glad to purchase two or do you know where I would look. This looks like the ideal way to correct the problem.

Thank you, Dave
Yes I do, I can cut them for you also, can you measure the distance from the inside of your wooden bushing to the outside of the tail?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by NoResults
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
I am confused I thought I could put in a bushing as proposed on page 29 post 424. The center of the bushing would be the center of the hole which is 5 mm. The outside edge is about 4mm
NoResults is offline Find More Posts by NoResults
Old May 19, 2015, 10:56 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I am confused I thought I could put in a bushing as proposed on page 29 post 424. The center of the bushing would be the center of the hole which is 5 mm. The outside edge is about 4mm
This is how I did it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=524
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Andy Meysner
Mississauga ON Canada
Joined Feb 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
If you are referring to a problem of the elevator not being parallel to the wing, just glue some balsa or plywood shim on the fuselage under one side of the wing. A very simple fix, see post 234. At least 3 of us in this thread have encountered this, so may be common.

Andy
Andy Meysner is offline Find More Posts by Andy Meysner