SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Thread Tools
Old Today, 11:47 AM
WarbirdFan66 is offline
Find More Posts by WarbirdFan66
Registered User
WarbirdFan66's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Any idea how much weight the paint added to the plane?
Sorry but no, i didnt weigh the plane, just after painting it, but the overall flighing weight went up to 588g. Thats including wheels, new motors, batteries, LED lights, paint, and all the other tiny things i changed
WarbirdFan66 is offline Find More Posts by WarbirdFan66
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:02 PM
JUCD VPR is online now
Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
SEMPER FI
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post
Sorry but no, i didnt weigh the plane, just after painting it, but the overall flighing weight went up to 588g. Thats including wheels, new motors, batteries, LED lights, paint, and all the other tiny things i changed
What LED lights did you add, I am planning to add some small ones to do some night flying! I'll weight my stock DR.
JUCD VPR is online now Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM
WarbirdFan66 is offline
Find More Posts by WarbirdFan66
Registered User
WarbirdFan66's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
295 Posts
lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
What LED lights did you add, I am planning to add some small ones to do some night flying! I'll weight my stock DR.
the lights i added are more orientation guides and not really for night flying...just for dusk or dawn crusin to give it an extra coolness factor.
I added two multicore leds+reflectors in the front, as landing lights (one on each side), and one acl (this is actuly a little pcb with 4 leds that really gives you the impression its rotating), on top...so no position lights or flashers on the wingtips in my case...
All are very bright and can easily be seen, even in bright sunlight. The lights are powerd by a little seperate 300mAh 2s lipo and had to be switched on manually before take off.
WarbirdFan66 is offline Find More Posts by WarbirdFan66
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:01 PM
JUCD VPR is online now
Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
SEMPER FI
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post
the lights i added are more orientation guides and not really for night flying...just for dusk or dawn crusin to give it an extra coolness factor.
I added two multicore leds+reflectors in the front, as landing lights (one on each side), and one acl (this is actuly a little pcb with 4 leds that really gives you the impression its rotating), on top...so no position lights or flashers on the wingtips in my case...
All are very bright and can easily be seen, even in bright sunlight. The lights are powerd by a little seperate 300mAh 2s lipo and had to be switched on manually before take off.
Awesome, looks great!
JUCD VPR is online now Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:14 PM
GottaZoom is online now
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Registered User
Joined Feb 2014
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Ummm.....but what about the numerous youtube aerial videos shot with GoPro cameras mounted to Delta Rays? Typing in "gopro delta ray" into youtube's search box brings up at least 9 results on the first page.
It's possible some people use GoPro like they use Xerox ....

3 ounces on 18 isn't horrible to the point of no lift, but there could be a lot of strange airflow impacts being high over the wing. Though there will be more in the form of additional weight for mounting gear, etc.

I can tell you putting only 1/3 oz of extra battery in my 2 ounce SCS made it fly much different ... so different I won't try it again in wind until I sort out whether I got the CG wrong and make sure I have the settings correct (I've been testing stagility).
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 PM
JUCD VPR is online now
Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
SEMPER FI
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Ummm.....but what about the numerous youtube aerial videos shot with GoPro cameras mounted to Delta Rays? Typing in "gopro delta ray" into youtube's search box brings up at least 9 results on the first page.
I watched a few, one guy even stated that it flew like a pig. Like I was saying, it'll take off but it lacks the power to fly well with that much weight strapped to it. Now if you upgrade motors i'm sure it'll perform even better. If it's windy be even more careful.
JUCD VPR is online now Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 PM
RexGalore is online now
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
RexGalore's Avatar
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Any ideas on how I could mount a GoPro to my Delta Ray? I was originally going to mount an 808 keychain camera but that camera has mysteriously disappeared. I would have preferred to use the 808 cam because it would be an easier job due to it's light weight and streamlined shape. The GoPro and it's underwater housing is going to be rather awkward because of it's bulky shape. The other thing is I would prefer to have the GoPro tilted forward a little near the nose (rather than standing up vertically) so that it records more landscape and less sky. And of course, I'd have to balance the plane with a counter weight.

I'm planning to mount the GoPro after Ive done a few (hopefully successful) flights with the Delta Ray.

Edit: Ah....I wonder if this could do the trick?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wrist-Div...item25a6979829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
No way the Delta Ray is going to carry a GoPro, way too heavy. It may fly but it will be extremely hard to bank and maneuver etc. A Mobius or 808 Keychain cam, or a standard FPV cam that is lightweight would be my suggestion.

85 Grams for a GoPro Hero 4 Black. Yikes lol

20 Grams - 808 Keychain Cam

52 Grams - 808 Keychain cam, 600mw VTX, stubby Antenna and wires - This is what I FPV my Delta Ray with.
My vote is with JUCD VPR, the GoPro is both too heavy and the wrong physical shape to fly optimally on the DR. Actually, it's shape can't really work well when mounted externally on any small, winged airplane. Quadcopters, sure. Delta Rays, not so much. An 808 or Mobius would work out better.
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10 PM
dragonblade is online now
Find More Posts by dragonblade
Registered User
dragonblade's Avatar
Joined Apr 2014
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
An 808 or Mobius would work out better.
Yea like I mentioned before, I did have an 808 keychain camera that I was planning to mount to the Delta Ray. But that disappeared while moving house. And it would take ages to order another one from China / Hong Kong. Plus, we've been having some really nice weather lately. And all the grass is green and lush and would look great from above.
dragonblade is online now Find More Posts by dragonblade
Last edited by dragonblade; Today at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:29 PM
JUCD VPR is online now
Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
SEMPER FI
JUCD VPR's Avatar
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Yea like I mentioned before, I did have an 808 keychain camera that I was planning to mount to the Delta Ray. But that disappeared while moving house. And it would take ages to order another one from China / Hong Kong. Plus, we've been having some really nice weather lately. And all the grass is green and lush and would look great from above.
Why not order one from Romeo over at MassiveRC?

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...arch=Search%3A
JUCD VPR is online now Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-Flite Apprentice S 15e RTF With SAFE Technology.... ChuckTseeker Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 6421 Today 02:37 PM
News 350 QX BNF With SAFE™ Technology by Blade® Sleepyc Multirotor Talk 24844 Yesterday 08:12 AM
Discussion New E-Flite Apprentice S w/ SAFE Technology Unboxing/Flight ManiacsDane Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 0 May 31, 2013 01:46 PM
Article Hobbyzone Commander II Trainer RTF with Anti-Crash Technology Review jbourke Electric Plane Talk 7 Oct 16, 2008 09:29 PM