HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:17 AM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
ESC For Bigger Airplanes

Hello,
I dont want to be getting into brushless and stuff like that, but was just wondering what like you guys use for your slowstick ESC's, and P-51 ESC's. I have a GWS 5 amp one, but I want to start using bigger motors, and wondered what would be the best speed controller to get. Thanx Patrick

PS- Moderator, if you feel it neccesary to move this to OPEN, please do so. -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:52 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
We need to know a bit more about what you mean by "best".

Current requirements? Brake? Programmable, fixed, or automatic endpoints? How capable a BEC? Is price a factor? Weight? Size? Many things to consider.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 16, 2002, 01:56 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
A Castle Creations 20P will do up to S480 motors, and is programable. $40
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 16, 2002, 06:46 AM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
a Pixie 20 is always nice but they are expensive $

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:51 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
ive been using the GWS ics400 15 amp, no brake no switch version, 29 bucks, no problems yet, i like the quick/linear throttle response, and the price, a buddy of mine bought a 20 amp zagi speed control, half throttle on the stick is full throttle at the esc, and it has a brake and soft start, no thanks!
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Dec 16, 2002, 01:57 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
I started with a Great Planes C-10 ESC (10 amp) It has brake so no oops motor starts. It handles everything I fly including the 300 stock motor in my switchback. BEC has it right that there are questions you need to look at before purchasing. Know what you want it to do - this includes features that you may not use now but might need in the future. My C-10's cover 90% of anything I'm likely to do with brushed motors, but a pixie 20 is on my "need" list, just for something special.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Dec 16, 2002, 04:29 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
Brake

Hello,
I dont plan on getting much past speed 400 motors. So what does an average 8.4v geared speed 400 draw for amperage. What about a direct drive. Rough estimates will work ok. Also, what does the brake do. I have a 5 amp ESC, and I think it comes with a brake. Could you please describe what the brake does, so I can see if mine has one. Thanx Patrick
Old Dec 16, 2002, 04:59 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
It depends on the prop too. I am using a speed 300 with a 5amp esc and a 9.6v and ive had no problems even with a 12x6 prop..100+ flights on my slowstick. Its stupid, yes, but it works

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:18 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
GWS ONe

Hello,
So I have decided to go at least 10 amps, so I dont blow out a motor. Now, how is the Great Planes 10 amp one, compared to the GWS 15 amp one. Thanx Patrick
Old Dec 16, 2002, 07:59 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
I don't know about expensive, but for the options on the 20P it is alot of bang for the $.

Besides that being programmable, you can use it with lithiums, brake or no brake ans even adjust the overamp cutoff.

JMHO
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:18 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dylwad
, a buddy of mine bought a 20 amp zagi speed control, half throttle on the stick is full throttle at the esc, and it has a brake and soft start, no thanks!
Hum.... I have 3 ( one came with the Zagi, and got the other 2 at Toledo for a great price)... all work great. On my Hitec 3 channel(no throttle trim or adjustment), the motor comes on one click from low, and the high point LED turns on at the last click. The other 2 work just was well what standard cheapie 4 channels. Maybe he has a bad one, or his end points are mis-adjusted.... Personally I don't see a break or soft start as a problem, but more of an asset

BTW saw a Great Pains one let all the smoke out the other night.... Ummmm smelled real good From what we can tell there was a cold solder joint or something near the output. At least that's where the most damage was.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:19 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
HUH

Hello,
I use my lithium ions all the time with my GWS 5 amp speed controller. Also, what does a brake do. Does it just stop the prop from windmilling, becuase when I bring my throttle all the way down, the prop stops spinning. Is that the brake taking effect? -P
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:29 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Re: HUH

Quote:
Originally posted by putt_13
Is that the brake taking effect? -P
Yep...That's it
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:48 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcav8r2
Hum.... I have 3 ( one came with the Zagi, and got the other 2 at Toledo for a great price)... all work great. On my Hitec 3 channel(no throttle trim or adjustment), the motor comes on one click from low, and the high point LED turns on at the last click. The other 2 work just was well what standard cheapie 4 channels. Maybe he has a bad one, or his end points are mis-adjusted.... Personally I don't see a break or soft start as a problem, but more of an asset

he doesnt have adjustable endpoints(futaba skysport) and the ESC doesnt have an LED, we might be thinking of diff ESC's,

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:08 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
GWS One

Hello,
Have any of you guys had any experience with the GWS 15 amp ESC. Also, what is the largest AMP draw a 5 amp one can handel. Gforce, with his set-up, would be pulling at least 9 amps. I dont believe that. It would fry in a second. Also, what do you guys use for motor connectors, like on your non GWS motors, because GWS ones all have that black piece on them. -P