HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:46 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,515 Posts
Build Log
Frankel F4D Skyray Build Thread

Well, I've been debating about posting a thread on this for some time (they can be a lot of work, haha!) and after talking with P.Richards this past weekend at BITW, he inspired me to just go for it.

A while back, I was fortunate enough to acquire a Mark Frankel Skyray kit from the man himself. The design is an exact 1/7 scale which puts the fuselage length at 77.6" and the wingspan at 57.4". Those numbers don't do it justice because it builds into a really large airplane with tons of wing area! The fuse width and volume is huge (you get an idea from the pics). This kit was first designed around glow ducted fan back in the day and flew excellent with that power. According to Mark, he designed it as large as he could while still getting a great flying airplane given the available glow power systems. I've seen video of them flying as low as 16-18 lb up to 24ish lb on glow DF and they flew great, even at 24 lb (TO roll was a bit long, but once on step flew really nicely and didn't appear to fly heavy). With turbine power, the weight and speed increased more and still remained an awesome flying machine! I can only imagine it will continue with EDF power!

My intention is to build a competition scale bird of the same magnitude or greater than the mirage. With the larger size, I can carry the capacity I need which should allow me to get the flight time I need without worrying too heavily about hurting the packs. This is one of the difficulties I've had in competition with the mirage. Plus, seeing the performance of my 20lb NTech jets Panther, the performance should be awesome. My goal is to get the airplane in at 24 lb or less. That may be tough as I plan to build in speed brakes, working tail bumper, tail hook, slats and lights (including AB lights of course!), but I think it can be done (I've been trying to make every gram count!).

So, here we go with the build thread of this cool kit of an awesome delta winged airplane (can anyone tell I love deltas!? ). Those that know me know that I can build sloooooooowww, so bare with me. haha! Building has been underway for a few months, so maybe I can stay far enough ahead that the thread won't bog down too much.

First up are some pics of the kit and the nose gear which I had made by Ed at RCCRafters (the gear is SICK!).

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Last edited by JetMang; Oct 28, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:36 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,573 Posts
Chris:
I have no doubt it will be an exceptional model when you finish it. Looking forward to the build.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:35 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,646 Posts
Now that will be cool. The nose gear looks like you just unbolted it from a full size. Will you use the body flaps also?
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:52 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
Awesome....I hope this lights a fire to get going on the JHH version....as soon as I get my arm out of a sling from the surgery I had last week.Chris I have you dads research info if you need it.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Very Nice

Chris,

That is a fine looking kit. I wish there were more to be had. But glad at least there are plans out there for the scratch builder.

The nose gear looks very impressive.

I'll subscribe!
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Align Multicopter Seminars
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,515 Posts
Thanks guys! BTW, a must for the build was Mark's book "Killer Rays." It's an enjoyable read and has a lot of nice photos and color profiles in it. Highly recommended if your a fan of the Skyray.

Well, Let the building begin...

I like to start off small usually, so started in with the dorsal (wings require sheeting after fuse bulkheads are installed). First item of business was sheeting. Mark's design incorporates a sub leading edge before sheeting, so that was installed first, then the sheeting done. AFter that, add the trailing edge stock and the tip block and sand to shape...

On my trailing edges, I like to laminate a 1/64" ply strip between two pieces of balsa wood. This helps to create a fine, yet sturdy trailing edge. I did the same on the tip block, but added some ribs also to get a little space between the blocks.

Chris
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:22 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,893 Posts
Chris-Glad to see the build is underway. Mark mentioned that he'd be sending you a Skyray kit earlier this year, while I was assisting him with photo and document gathering for his next book, here at Edwards.

This will be awesome Skyray and I'll be following your exceptional work!

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:13 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
I'm definitely signed on Chris. I absolutely love the Skyray and look forward to seeing you work your magic!

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:05 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
Where can we get that book?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:56 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Amazon appears to have it in stock. I have the book as well, and it is definitely a great resource.

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:57 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Roger, here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Mark%20Frankel

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:40 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,646 Posts
Hi Chris,
I have that book and never made the connection to the kit...
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:43 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
855 Posts
You were not kidding Chris...this is BIG Ray! I saw the nose gear in person and was blown away by the detail. I can't wait to see the rest of the build...
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:47 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
855 Posts
Mass Ford launch...impressive!
F4D Skyray fighter (0 min 17 sec)
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Oct 23, 2014, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,515 Posts
Thanks again guys! Yeah, Mark Frankel the author = Mark Frankel the model airplane designer. He has a new book in the works about the various trainer aircraft the military uses. Also, before the Skyray book, he authored a book about the TT-1 Pinto, but I haven't picked that one up. He's pondered the thought of designing a large TT-1 which would make for a great flying airplane.

Hey Jon, Cool vid! I haven't seen that one before.

This one I like to back to from time to time. Closest I'll get to knowing how to fly the real thing, haha!

Aircraft Familiarization - The F4D-1 Skyray - Operating Procedures (1956) (18 min 32 sec)

Chris