HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Discussion
Depron Foam Wing Sails

Over the last couple of years I’ve been experimenting with Depron foam wing sails for rc sail boats (initially posted as mijj, and more recently as rcmm). I’ve decided to leave this topic for the moment and thought that I would try to summarise my findings to help others interested in trialing this type of wing. I’ll add details to this thread over time with details on construction etc, and I’m happy to answer any questions.

For the moment, the pros and cons I see for this type of wing:

Pros:
  • The wings are light, even for a 1M boat the wing can be less than 100g;
  • Construction is easy and fast, a wing can easily be made in a couple of hours;
  • For multi hulls the buoyance of the wing removes the necessity for a float on the mast.

Cons:
  • For fine adjustment of the wing additional servos are required;
  • Difficult to get “fine” control over the aerofoil profile;
  • Ultimately, after trialing many configurations, I believe that only a couple of my wing sails would have out performed a conventional sail.

For fun I put together a video of the highlights of the different wings and boats I’ve worked on. It was made to be played with with Awolnations “Sail”, so if you want to see it to the music you can play the music here (http://awolnationmusic.com), and try to synchronise. Sorry for this being a bit “Clunky” but I would prefer not to breach copyright.

(Wing) Sail RC (4 min 26 sec)
mijj is offline Find More Posts by mijj
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2014, 09:14 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
350 Posts
You know of course, you need T foil with wands on that 1 meter cat!
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Old Oct 04, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Yes, I think you advised me before. I went down a different route and Ian Holt beat me to it

I'm currently working on L-foil's with wand controlled flaps, a bit like Doug's i-flap idea.
mijj is offline Find More Posts by mijj