Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:38 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,128 Posts
Discussion
CG Info?

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased the Ferocious Frankie 800mm V2 P-51 Mustang. The manual says the CG is 65mm from the wing root, which I was able to get using the recommended 1000 maH battery, and some relocation of the ESC.

Some folks on the board have mentioned that this CG still leaves the plane tail heavy, and I need to add nose weight. Can you comment on this?

Also, I sent this question via your websites Support section, never heard back. Is the Support function working correctly?

Thanks!
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2013, 11:14 AM
Look out! Mayday! Mayday!
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Jan 2012
342 Posts
I've had one of these for a while and flew it stock at 60mm with 1000mah nano-techs. At 65mm it was too neutral for me. Make sure you keep the rates low and maintain moderate turn speeds and it's a very stable plane with no bad tendencies. The only problem I've had with mine was a curb on the edge of a parking lot.. Obviously a pilot issue... lol. Even at that she handled it great with only spinner/prop damage and a bent motor shaft. Bent it back and it was fine. Tough little planes for sure!
Chingus is offline Find More Posts by Chingus
Old Jul 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
364 Posts
Hi FLTRI,

I searched and have no record of you submitting a question about CG for the 800mm V2mustang. You would have received an automated ticket number from the system. Can you give that to me?

At any rate, I did not move the ESC or battery change the CG in any way in my plane. I had no issues with it and thought it flew perfectly. That said, the manual is a starting point. Personally, I like a slightly tail heavy plane while many people prefer a nose heavy plane. I normally start with the recommended CG and move from t here. You can see from the reply above Chingus did just that. He started at 65mm and moved it to a slightly more nose heavy 60mm. It really boils down to flying style and personal preference at some point.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:24 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,128 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

65mm "looks" about right, ~1/3 of the way back, and slightly ahead of the thickest part of the wing, which is about where I set my other planes. There was some mention of 45mm on the forum from other pilots, but that just seemed way too far forward. If it ever cools off here, I'll get a maiden in, see how she feels, and go from there.

Thanks Again!

Edit: Tom contacted me via PM reference the support ticket I submitted. We did a test ticket on the Motion RC site, and all is working as it should. Not sure what happened to my original ticket, just computers being computers, I suppose. Everything I've heard about Motion is proving to be true, what great customer service! Motion is now my go-to online site for all future purchases...
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Last edited by FLTRI; Jul 05, 2013 at 12:59 PM.