SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: mixing scale and 3d is it a good idea ?
yes 3 33.33%
never 6 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:04 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Discussion
best of both worlds

i just came across this vid on you tube and it kind of put me at ease with my dilema of liking both scale and 3d didnt think this was even remotely pos so i would like your thoughts and coments thanks
Kyle Dahl-Scale Logo 600-2010 OC Fun Fly (7 min 48 sec)
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker41 View Post
i just came across this vid on you tube and it kind of put me at ease with my dilema of liking both scale and 3d didnt think this was even remotely pos so i would like your thoughts and coments thanks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U552f...layer_embedded
Some scale birds are able to do mild 3d but it takes away of flying scale. To me if I wanted to do 3d stuff I would have left it in pod and boom. Why make a scale heli and then make it do something that the real heli can't do, that's just me.... I would keep a 3d machine just for that and fly the scales as they were intended to fly. Again, that's just my thoughts.....
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,077 Posts
Same here
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:13 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
i dont know i think being able to pull off a cpl 3d stunts in a scale bird would up your scale flight skills a bit i could be wrong but getting a heli to do things it wasnt meant to do seems like natural progress . like for instance motocross bikes werent meant to to dbl back flips off a jump but they do now and its become a sport all its own .
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:35 PM
Jose Reyes
Steilacoom, WA
Joined Feb 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
i dont know i think being able to pull off a cpl 3d stunts in a scale bird would up your scale flight skills a bit i could be wrong but getting a heli to do things it wasnt meant to do seems like natural progress . like for instance motocross bikes werent meant to to dbl back flips off a jump but they do now and its become a sport all its own .
Some of the MD500 class and the BO-105's are quite capable of 3d, however, as the scale heli's get larger and heavier, and the addition of asymmetrical blades would prohibitive the 3d flying capabilities. I wouldn't put a heavy heli and very expensive to say the least through the stress that a 3d machine goes through... Most heavy scalers wouldn't pull through...
JoseReyes69 is offline Find More Posts by JoseReyes69
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
I really enjoy flying both....but not with the same helis.

My scale helis are all set-up to fly in a slower scale manor, with lesser collective and cyclic pitch ranges and with low rotor speeds, while my 3D pod and boomers are set up for higher pitch ranges, max pitch and collective ranges without binding.

As I am now used to hovering at 3/4 stick, I set up all my scale machines to also hover at the same point. I find it makes it easier to transition.

That said, it is not necessarily the fuselage on a heli that will dictate what flying style can be flown. That is more of how it is set up.

I also prefer watching a scale heli flown well in a scale manner then seeing one do 3D. And contrary to what many may think. It is as difficult to fly a scale model heli through a demanding scale routine, as it is to fly a good 3D routine with a 3D heli. They are just two different skill sets, and learning both can be very worthwhile and fun for some of us.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:44 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseReyes69 View Post
Some of the MD500 class and the BO-105's are quite capable of 3d, however, as the scale heli's get larger and heavier, and the addition of asymmetrical blades would prohibitive the 3d flying capabilities. I wouldn't put a heavy heli and very expensive to say the least through the stress that a 3d machine goes through... Most heavy scalers wouldn't pull through...
yea i see your point good point too! not worth the risk of tearing up a nice scaler, with umteen hrs of work in the fuse! it just looked kick ass in the vid!!!! lol
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Relating to weight and scale helis flying a 3D routine, you should check out Kyles model. It is a basic, and very light scale H500. Not a whole bunch of scale detail on it that would add weight.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
I really enjoy flying both....but not with the same helis.

My scale helis are all set-up to fly in a slower scale manor, with lesser collective and cyclic pitch ranges and with low rotor speeds, while my 3D pod and boomers are set up for higher pitch ranges, max pitch and collective ranges without binding.

As I am now used to hovering at 3/4 stick, I set up all my scale machines to also hover at the same point. I find it makes it easier to transition.

That said, it is not necessarily the fuselage on a heli that will dictate what flying style can be flown. That is more of how it is set up.

I also prefer watching a scale heli flown well in a scale manner then seeing one do 3D. And contrary to what many may think. It is as difficult to fly a scale model heli through a demanding scale routine, as it is to fly a good 3D routine with a 3D heli. They are just two different skill sets, and learning both can be very worthwhile and fun for some of us.
well ive been on the fence for some time now when im building or tinkering im very happy , but when im out at the field and see one of these guys go off with so many tricks that seem imposible , its like wow ! how the hell did you do that ! so needless to say i am impressed with both . but would prob be to scared to try with a scale bird
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Well, adding the extra weight and drag has gotta make 3D harder, so I'll give him credit for flying abilty.
He got positive feedback at youtube. I did a youtube search - the OC funfly seems to be mostly 3D and it sounded like the people at the funfly enjoyed it.
I wonder what kind of reaction he'd have gotten at a more scale oriented flying event?
I don't fly scale - yet - but as an observer I would find it amusing and entertaining. Every once in a while, something totally unexpected is kinda cool.
Maybe if he does it at a scale event he should fly a BO-105 in Red Bull colors?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:02 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Well, adding the extra weight and drag has gotta make 3D harder, so I'll give him credit for flying abilty.
He got positive feedback at youtube. I did a youtube search - the OC funfly seems to be mostly 3D and it sounded like the people at the funfly enjoyed it.
I wonder what kind of reaction he'd have gotten at a more scale oriented flying event?
I don't fly scale - yet - but as an observer I would find it amusing and entertaining. Every once in a while, something totally unexpected is kinda cool.
Maybe if he does it at a scale event he should fly a BO-105 in Red Bull colors?
my thought exactly +1 that would be an awesome sight to see ! to fly it as the red bull 105 does ! that would still be scale though wouldnt it ?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:02 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,020 Posts
Quote:
my thought exactly +1 that would be an awesome sight to see ! to fly it as the red bull 105 does ! that would still be scale though wouldnt it ?
Depends on what you call scale.... there are only a few BO 105 specially modified for display flying they perform.
All other BO 105 were usually able to pull a loop or roll, but maintenance crews were not too excited about that as I am told, manouvres like that, tended to lead to fatigue cracks in the transition area from body to tailboom

So, yes, it can be called scale if your BO 105 has a Red Bull paint scheme on it, but all other paint schemes.....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:02 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
One of our local flyers has a Logo 600 that is setup like that one of Kyle's but with an older body than that one. He brings it out once in a while and does some slow loops, rolls, tictocs, and inverted flying. I have watched it and my comment to him every time he does inverted flying is "That's just so wrong", and laugh about it. Like Kyle's, it also is a two blade head so maximum power is available for those maneuvers but I am sure that someone will do it with a more scale-like head at some time. I do realize that there are many full size helicopters that can do aerobatics but I am not so sure that judges at a scale meet will be very happy to see a performance like that 500E and have the flyer call that a representation of scale flying.

There is no doubt that it takes practice to fly any helicopter that has that much extra weight on it and make it look like child's play. I don't see too many top scale flyers making any big moves to add 3D flying to heli's like their Seakings, Lamas, or Bell 47s. I fly scale and I fly 3D when the time is right for it and with appropriate equipment.

There is a place and time for 3D and it doesn't need to be in every single aspect of model helicopter flying.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger