HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2014, 10:59 AM
United States, IA, Waukee
Joined Jul 2013
99 Posts
Wet-test passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post
Had some electronics safe 3-in-1 oil. Initial dry tests are now nice and quite. Seems like it just needed a good lube. Getting ready to put it back together and do some quick sink/tub tests.
Thanks for the input on the motors. Not planning on ordering anything for now. I put the boat all back together and sure enough it squealed like a pig on a dry test. Pulled the motor again and no noise so now it's in the prop shaft. I couldn't get it apart (any tips on removing a prop & stem (proper term?) from a prop shaft (again, proper term?)? Luckily it did have a bit of a gap so I pushed it up a bit and lubed the gap at the top and worked it in a bit, then pushed it down and lubed at the bottom and worked it in. It's still got a slight rattle, but it sounds about like it should now...at least I think so. No more squeal. Finally did a quick wet run in the kitchen sink while feeding the baby this morning. Much better. Self-right works again so hopefully no more trying to air-boat back to shore. I used the same 3-in-1 oil for lubing the prop shaft. Will that work ok? Hoping to put it back on my pond tonight if it's not raining. Can't wait to get this thing up and running full-boar.
NeoMatrixJR is online now Find More Posts by NeoMatrixJR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2013
99 Posts
Pond test:
Runs good. Took on a LOT of water. So...this boat has watercooling in/outlet holes. Should those be plugged or what? Seems (by putting boat in sink w/ top off & watching it) the watercool inlet is where water is getting in.

Also, getting quite a bit around the servo/rudder shaft.
Last edited by NeoMatrixJR; Sep 05, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
409 Posts
Quote:
Pond test:
Runs good. Took on a LOT of water. So...this boat has watercooling in/outlet holes. Should those be plugged or what? Seems (by putting boat in sink w/ top off & watching it) the watercool inlet is where water is getting in.

Also, getting quite a bit around the servo/rudder shaft.
Only hole i saw was for the FM radio antenna that i plugged up with silicone. If theres more they should be plugged as stock doesn't have watercooling.
microhelidude is offline Find More Posts by microhelidude
Old Sep 05, 2014, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2013
99 Posts
Yep, you're right. Didn't realize the top hole was for the antenna. Not sure about the bottom one then unless it's supposed to drain? Plugged it for now with a toothpick. Still getting water in around the rudder control rod. Somewhere else too. Not sure yet. Might use some food coloring in the water tomorrow. Only other place I can think of is around the drive shaft. Need to figure out how to get that apart and use some proper grease on it instead of the oil I think.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:40 AM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
252 Posts
Wrong forum, sorry.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Last edited by Dennis Manning; Sep 06, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 12:06 AM
Joined Jul 2013
99 Posts
Pond Test 2:
I should be timing these runs to see how long it goes before I encounter an issue. So, running great for a while. Powering from one end of the pond to the other. Spinning out (touchy turn to one side, wide turns on the other...) alot. Having a blast in general. Hadn't had a chance to do anything else since my last post. After a while at one point when I let off the "gas" I went to start it back up and not no response from the engine. Stared at it good and hard for a while...pulled the trigger a few times...no luck. Once it drifted a bit closer I "wagged" the rudder back and forth. I could see it moving so I knew it wasn't completely dead. After a bit more glaring at it and wagging the rudder, wondering it if could paddle back to shore I tried the thrust again and sure enough it worked, so I kept it going slow and got it out of the water. As soon as I did...no more motor again. After letting it sit and dry out it seems the motor works again. I don't know if it's overheating or what. At least this time it didn't seem to take on much water. Only way I've seen it do that is if it flips over and stays over for a while. As long as the motor works the self-right seems to be working now...so not too worried there.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:37 AM
Joined Dec 2007
409 Posts
Quote:
Pond Test 2:
I should be timing these runs to see how long it goes before I encounter an issue. So, running great for a while. Powering from one end of the pond to the other. Spinning out (touchy turn to one side, wide turns on the other...) alot. Having a blast in general. Hadn't had a chance to do anything else since my last post. After a while at one point when I let off the "gas" I went to start it back up and not no response from the engine. Stared at it good and hard for a while...pulled the trigger a few times...no luck. Once it drifted a bit closer I "wagged" the rudder back and forth. I could see it moving so I knew it wasn't completely dead. After a bit more glaring at it and wagging the rudder, wondering it if could paddle back to shore I tried the thrust again and sure enough it worked, so I kept it going slow and got it out of the water. As soon as I did...no more motor again. After letting it sit and dry out it seems the motor works again. I don't know if it's overheating or what. At least this time it didn't seem to take on much water. Only way I've seen it do that is if it flips over and stays over for a while. As long as the motor works the self-right seems to be working now...so not too worried there.
Might be motor or bad connection.
microhelidude is offline Find More Posts by microhelidude
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:48 AM
Kid at heart..
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2014
330 Posts
How long did you run it before it does this? It sounds like it could be a battery issue where you are draining the battery. The battery voltage drops too low under load and doesn't spin the motor. After you wait a while, the voltage at rest creeps up and its enough to run the motor again for a short blip and then the voltage drops again and the motor dies. Time you runs, see if its your batteries. Best way to check is if you have a spare, change out the batteries right away and if the boat runs good right after the battery swap, then you know its not a heat or motor or esc issue.
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:40 AM
Joined Jul 2013
99 Posts
Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Crazy busy

Think you were right, hangtheman, about LVC. (see below)

Pond Test 3 & 4:
About a week ago I ran it in the morning. Forgot to time it. For the most part I think it ran pretty good on this run. Short run since I didn't test the battery. Ran it again in the afternoon and remembered my timer. Got about an 11 minute run on my 2s 1000mAh lipo with 20-30C discharge. Quit running near shore. Checked battery and if I remember correctly it was at about 6.4V, so I'm guessing it was at LVC. I pushed it fairly hard with near constant full or near full speed for most of the run. Took on a bit of water still.

Pond Test 5:
Took it out again last night. Got about 8 minutes into my run and was going to bring it back when I flipped it. Self-right wouldn't work for me and motor started making screaming noise again. I know it's got a somewhat bad top seal and I didn't want it sinking so I pushed the motor to air-boat it back to shore (thankfully not too far out). When it starts doing that it's loud as hell, but then after a few seconds it's like the motor finds it's groove again and goes back to normal noise. Picked up proper grease and motor cleaner. Will probably strip it down soon and try to get the prop off and get it greased properly.

Also, finally got a decent charger setup so I can check the battery's health and put them at the proper storage level.