HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2012, 11:17 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
i love gliders with lotsa elevator authority (i hate a mushy elevator response) that way when mixed with plenty of throw you can save yourself from sitcky situations ie a stall and an effective control surface moiving a tiny amount is more effiecient than an uneffective one which needs alot of throw
just my $0.2
Keenans
I totally agree. Here is what I did to bring my elevator to life, and the effect was so dramatic, I even had to put a little expo on it. If you hold onto the side where the horn is, and then gently push the other side up and down, you can feel how much twist occurs in the center narrow part. That means that the forces on the control horn are not being transmitted to the other side.

A piece of 1/16" welding rod is bent to shape, then foam is hollowed out enough so the rod ends up being about 2/3 embedded and 1/3 exposed. That part takes a little time and patience. Glue it in with epoxy and feel the difference!
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 11:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 12:05 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
It's called Krylon H2O Latex, which I get at the local hardware store. I use it on all my planes.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Please consider opening this thread to all Radian mods.

In your blog you obviously favor orange . What are you using to paint your Radian? Airbrush, spray can, water based or other???

LOL . . Yeah.. I find Orange is a easy colour for me to see..
( all my Gliders have a orange tail )

The rad in the photos earlier is painted with water based posted paint..

If you've got a mod post it...

Sean

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old May 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Yes, to get uniform elevator movement you are correct that you need that extra rigidity.

I've done it by compressing a CF rod into the foam with a vise and then a little expoxy to fix it in. NEVER use CA on the elevator! That foam melts.

Here it is shown with Gold N Rods and a Cabela CF arrow shaft replacing the original fiber boom spar. Little or no added weight ( didn't measure it ) and if it is slightly heavier then it helps move the CG back a bit

Attachment 4840438

And hey, what do you use to paint?
Gold-n-Rods is another must do
CF helps with the tail twist , another must do.

Sean

Old May 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
As others have mentioned, the decalage might look different on different models depending on the manufacturing and other variables (such as stiffening of the tail mods). Here is what it looks like on my Radian Pro. If the elevator is neutral, and I eyeball the line from the front and back of the plane, the line of the HZ stabilizer would extend to about 1/4" above the fuselage where the rear of the canopy is.

If I compare this angle to the wing hole cutout on the fuselage, there is a big difference. However, there is a built-in washout to the wings, and it is gradual from root to tip. Comparing the angle of the HZ stabilizer to the wing tips, there is not much difference. Should the angle of the stabilizer be parallel to:

1 the chord line of the wing root?
2 the chord line of the wing tips?
3 somewhere in between?

There is the inconsistency between different models to be considered, and I am using a Radian Pro, not a standard Radian. I am curious to know where the line of your modified HZ stabilizer would end up, if projected to the front of the plane. Maybe this washout does not exist on a standard Radian, and my question might be meaningless.
Old May 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Sean and Jovanx, I'll check out my local art supply house and Home Depot and add some color to my Radians. I've been using strips of black monokote for visability but in time it sometimes peels off ( IN FLIGHT, UP HIGH, WHEN YOU NEED IT! ) So I end up with 2 or 3 unimaginative war strips on each wing for insurance.

I see you are Futaba man. The only orange I have used up to now is the Futaba compatible Orange RX.
Futaba Tx with Spektrum Module , Orange Rx in most of my foamies..

Sean
Old May 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added images
Old May 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Thank you very much for those pictures. The ones with the two rulers tell the story for sure. The washout on the Radian Pro adds a new level of complexity. The difference in angle at the wing root is even more than the Radian, but then it is reduced as you go out towards the tips.
Old May 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Did you do the decalage mod with your RP's? It seems that it might be difficult to decide whether or not to do it with a RP just by looking at it. It might be easier to decide judging by how it flies. I have quite a few hours on this plane, and have it trimmed so it will fly by itself for fairly long periods of time without porpoising or doing anything else that is strange.

A guy should be pretty happy with that, but sometimes it stalls for no reason I can think of, especially when it is windy. What I am thinking is that the decalage mod might take care of that. It wouldn't take long to do it, and then I would know. but another thing I am wondering about is how to get the CG further back without adding weight to the tail. The battery is already as far back as it will go, although I did hear of one guy who moved the receiver ahead and put the battery in the receiver compartment.
Old May 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Futaba Tx with Spektrum Module , Orange Rx in most of my foamies..
Sean
Can you tell me more about this system? I am thinking of getting a Futaba 7c, and would like to be able to fly my Parkzone planes with it as well. Does the module let you simply switch back and forth from Futaba to Spektrum receivers?
Old May 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
I too have done the Paul Naton decalage mod and find it very satisfying. It is easier now to maintain slow gliding flight with minimum sink. My CG is at 83 mm, 20 mm back from the stock value. The rearward CG combined with neutral decalage has made the ship more sensitive to changes in lift caused by thermals, but along with that comes decreased stability, which I believe is the reason some say it is not for everybody. It is not dangerously unstable by any means but less experienced pilots need to stay on top of things to avoid a possible stall when an updraft is encountered.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; May 07, 2012 at 12:47 PM.