HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
thanks! ok...all batteries soldered...escs hooked up. adjusted escs test ran motors on 8s then installed the fans and ran them both on 12s without tail pipes so i could check motor yemps. i also left the escs uninstalled and i ran it up with the model on the stand so i really couldnt feel the thrust but it sounded awesome and there was lots of air blowing out. judging by the temps of the escs id say its pulling around 100~110a or about 10kw total. the escs are now installed with heat sinks in ducts. they are pretty far fwd of the fans so they shouldnt hurt thrust much. they will stay nice and cool in there. so next ill put tail pipes in and maybe test once more. the motors got warm but probably not over 130 deg or so. pretty safe. up next after tail pipesare the wing mounts and then figure out battery placement for cg. also.....i weighed it. lools like ill be right around 42-43 lbs. thank goodness its not more lol
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
installed tail pipes. did a test run. holy crap thats a ton of thrust! it might fly lol. i did pick up the fuse with the packs in it and i almost threw a muscle lol. so i need to install the wing mounts and my servo for gear valve. thats the majority of the work left.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,500 Posts
I`m logged back in now and I`m looking forward to reading/seeing your fun in Vegas.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
good news i was worried about those 4-5 ft long tail pipes. maybe we should do the madien on the lake bed at edwards wed ?...either that or just go for it at vegas,it's a big gamble due to no over run if you have to abort,but it is vegas .....make sure those wing hold down are bonded good ....i guess im just a worry wart
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
if i took it anywhere it would be buttonwillow...hmm....thats a good idea......
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:34 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
i think it is closed ...or it was kast week ,buttonwillow would be good ...but would take half the day .the lake bed would take a couple of hours,maybe talk to the glider port they have a paved strip.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:10 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
i believe the shedule at BW does not allow flying on mon ,tues ,weds. you'd have to call the pres to get permission. you should have gott'n a E-mail for the month of oct flying days.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:27 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
ill just wait eh. it will be fine

checked cg, packs ended up beeing cuple inches farther forward than i thought, no biggie. my esc wires still reach, and i wont ahve to add any glass to the battery area.

your right andy, i had to get under my holding stand and bench press it to get the cg haha. thats a first.

got retract servo hooked up and installed. got wing mounts glued in, but still need to "wet tie" them into the structure. once ive got that done, i need to get the batteries velcroed up, and get a strap in there. after that, ill hook everything up, and do a full systems check. my gear have a leak when they are up, but it holds enough pressure to drop the gear for about 20-30 min. so no biggie. ive got 2 tanks in there, so it will be fine. though i may be required to roll inverted to retract gear. it retracts them at about 120psi ok, but not with enough power that i feel they will work in airflow. inverted will fix that in a jiffy lol. its hoaky, but you got to do what you got to do sometimes.

its getting close, and to be honest, i never thought id ever finish it haha. im feeling a little better after my full power test, it felt pretty awesome. never felt 26-27 lbs of thrust before!!! im also glad im not going to be over 43lbs. we already know andy's flies sweet at 43-44lbs. now we just need to be able to land and stop on a 700ft runway. i wouldnt be too worried if it wasnt for the poles and chains at the ends of the runway. yikes!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:42 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
so i went back and watched all of the flights again. im feeling better! the 7500w first flight takeoff wasnt that long at all, and i have to remember that Z's alt is way up there, and that realy hurts! especially takeoff and landing speeds. also, after watching all of Z's landings, they all seemed to be at almost the exact same AOA, which was pretty flat, and i know Z-man isnt using much flaps yet. that coupled with a aoa of another 3-4 deg on touchdown, and i think it will be going pretty slow! the good thing about T-38's is they arnt going to tip stall, just mush, so if i get it too slow, and it starts sinking, just add power sound seasy right! haha. man, im pumped. i cant wait!! on andys video #4, you can make out a wicked cool takeoff where he rides the mains for 50 ft or so before liftoff....oooh yeah! gangsta!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,263 Posts
man you sure got a lot done ,we might get it loaded by sundown ,and get a good nights sleep nah we will be fixing somthing i just need a few paint details and silicon the smoke generators on .and solder some bullets on my new batts.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Great speed building CN! WOW
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
thanks kev! it wouldnt have been possible without columbus day, and a understanding wife! lol
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Cool Brent sounds like your well on the way to an on time wheels in the well maiden of Thursday afternoon.

Yeah we sure do have some understanding better half's.

Two of Charlottes friends both aeronautical engineers are making a special trip up from L.A. to see the T-38's. I asked oh so they will be in town that weekend and want to stop by the field ? the answer was NO, they are driving up to see the T-38's. They have hotel rooms and everything.

Have a good trip gentelman..see ya Friday.

Bring a light jacket, temps show a high of 64 and a low of 43 Friday and 69/44 on Sat.
We will have density alt on our side for sure
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Oct 09, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,826 Posts
man, i checked the weather, and its looking great!!!!! sweeet!

slight snafu! i was only planning on working today, and having the afternoon to work on the talon. sadly work has taken me out of town, and i wont be back until tomorrow morning....grrrrrr......looks like a tradtitional late wed night before vegas is in order.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
thanks kev! it wouldnt have been possible without columbus day, and a understanding wife! lol
That right there is one of the keys to life. Good luck with the flight guys!
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob