HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
This is exactly what mine was doing before I sent it back to China. Looks like there is no FIFO in their inventory as Dec 17/Jan 6 is pretty late and there have been many who successfully removed the date stamp with earlier cams. Perhaps someone should suggest that the vendor adopt batch controls or better yet, SAP for processing orders....

clx1

Nope, I still picture a big barrel of cameras ready to be packed and shipped out.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:07 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
It looks like there's a need to use some better way to identify the camera type or vintage before doing the date stamp removal. The EXIF data attached to JPEG images from the cam might help as a fingerprint.

BTW some of the old #3 types that went catatonic were restored by hard reset - that is by disconnecting the battery. However best to send it back.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:44 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,706 Posts
I noticed that in the webcam mode, the HD Key cam has a video delay in movement about twice as long as the Key cam #3. Could be due to the higher resolution, but the regular webcam I use has 10MP and there is no delay. Of course I got it to fly with and didn't get it for web cam use anyway
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:06 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
I noticed that in the webcam mode, the HD Key cam has a video delay in movement about twice as long as the Key cam #3. Could be due to the higher resolution, but the regular webcam I use has 10MP and there is no delay. Of course I got it to fly with and didn't get it for web cam use anyway
Cheers,
Jim
I used the HD as a webcam on skype and the first thing others noticed was how clear the picture was.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:57 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Yeah I agree, I didn't get it for a webcam and doubt I'll ever use it, but it's definitely a nice one! Nice and clear picture for sure.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
No, not completely dead. The battery seems to work ... I get the red LED when I plug it in (disappears when fully loaded). But I won't get the yellow one anymore; no recording of course; resetting doesn't help.
Did you try the trick that worked on a lot of #3's? Remove the SD card, then turn on the camera. The #3 would blink 30 times, then shut down automatically. Put the SD card back in, power up, and see if it works. Well, worth a try at least.
wayback is offline Find More Posts by wayback
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:34 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Got Mine!

My HD key cam arrived today! So now I can play with the real deal. I just shot a few test clips to make sure it works, and a web cam test, before putting it into a run 'til it dies stop and record test to see if my files are properly saved. Once that is done, I'll do the date removal.

I had to stop these activities to watch my Seahawks embarrass all the football prognosticators and odds makers! Great game... quite a difference when all the starters are back healthy, play hard, and make few mistakes. My condolences to Saints fans!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
My HD key cam arrived today! So now I can play with the real deal. I just shot a few test clips to make sure it works, and a web cam test, before putting it into a run 'til it dies stop and record test to see if my files are properly saved. Once that is done, I'll do the date removal.

I had to stop these activities to watch my Seahawks embarrass all the football prognosticators and odds makers! Great game... quite a difference when all the starters are back healthy, play hard, and make few mistakes. My condolences to Saints fans!
I watched the Saints - Seahawks game as well. Bummer for Saints fans.

Glad you got your camera. Don't brick it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Headles and realpastaman, + 1 for sure, these guys share a wealth of knowlege and experience, makes me feel dumb and selfish for having fun leeching on others work. But If I can help someone I will.... lets face it. Its video, seen on this site, for various planes and flights, that sucked me into the hobby. A good video of a good flight can sell hundreds of planes in my estimation. There's lots of lurkers out there that will get in and never post (again my estimation). Keep up the good work.

Pasta, my #8 is 15.6 grams with soft velcro side attached to top and bottom. My hd is on the way. I would guess not much more. Oh I removed the keychain part.

P.
Thanks wheelspinner - Thats so useful to me. I've been working on a dc dc converter to power the camera from the heli 3.7v cell I'll post something about that soon - Hoping to remove the battery from the camera to save some weight.
realpastaman is offline Find More Posts by realpastaman
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
DC DC Converter for HD Key Chain camera

Tested this on a standard def keychain - Purpose is to use the heli battery 3.7 volts to power the HD key chain. Input voltage range is 2.5V - 4.5V output is stabilised 4.3 volts ~ 300mA max it will also do 9V O/P for 2.4Ghz tx. Cant wait to try it out on the HD keychain when it arrives. If anyone wants the circuit then let me know.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:27 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
wow pasta that thing looks like impressionist art.! very cool. Do you think a mini board with surface mounts would save you some weight?

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
wow pasta that thing looks like impressionist art.! very cool. Do you think a mini board with surface mounts would save you some weight?

P.
Hi wheelspinner - The main IC is surface mount - Its just a birds nest ) - Hell of a job to solder surface mount IC - Yes it would save some weight if I did a mini board - The problem to power anything off the main heli battery is that it drops quite a bit under full load. Thats why the power unit is ok down to 2.5V at which point the heli would no longer be flying -
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpastaman View Post
Tested this on a standard def keychain - Purpose is to use the heli battery 3.7 volts to power the HD key chain. Input voltage range is 2.5V - 4.5V output is stabilised 4.3 volts ~ 300mA max it will also do 9V O/P for 2.4Ghz tx. Cant wait to try it out on the HD keychain when it arrives. If anyone wants the circuit then let me know.
When you confirm a working connection to the HD key cam, come back and edit this post, with a circuit diagram and any hook up instructions, tips or tricks, and I'll include it in the Frankencam reserved post #4 for stuff like this.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpastaman View Post
Hi wheelspinner - The main IC is surface mount - Its just a birds nest ) - Hell of a job to solder surface mount IC - Yes it would save some weight if I did a mini board - The problem to power anything off the main heli battery is that it drops quite a bit under full load. Thats why the power unit is ok down to 2.5V at which point the heli would no longer be flying -
I doubt the camera will function down at 2.5V input either!
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
When you confirm a working connection to the HD key cam, come back and edit this post, with a circuit diagram and any hook up instructions, tips or tricks, and I'll include it in the Frankencam reserved post #4 for stuff like this.
OK Tom I sure will - Still waiting for the HD key cam to arrive from Hong Kong - The battey in the HD key cam looks like a typical 250mA 3.7 lithium and so I'm pretty sure it will work OK - Its quite efficient ~ 80% and I'm hoping the current drain will be be low compared to the heli motor - Hopefully the HD key cam will be here next week - Thanks for such an interesting thread.
Closed Thread