HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:30 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
^^YEP, you don't really notice it until it's not there. Then you realize wow. I must have had blowback
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:58 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,252 Posts
Interesting. I have often saved a crunch by bursting power with plenty of up elevator ... another reason not to want to get blowback.

I hasten to add this is with EPP ... I won't be flying my EF low for a while!!

Mind you, I said that when I bought a lightly used Hangar 9 Christen Eagle. On it's 4th flight I incipient spun it from a downwind turn to low pass. By the time I had released back pressure, added power and levelled it was lower than the crop at the edge of the runway - it cut off a few bits with the prop on the climb out

After landing it, I packed up for the day as I felt somewhat sick with shock!

(Note to self: Airspeed and groundspeed aren't the same thing )
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:09 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,557 Posts
My lesson on servos was more on the setup. Bottom of a nice blender, went to straighten out and fly out of it, plane back flipped. Kept doing that all the way to the ground as I kept trying to figure out what was happening and what to do about it. Looked cool though. Anyway, turns out I had a bind at full down elev deflection, and the extra current draw caused by that held for the blender fried the servo and it locked in that position.
You'd think I would have learned that lesson thoroughly after that, but no, same thing happened with the rudder servo a few weeks later.
I'm much more careful with setup now.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:04 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,625 Posts
My lessons with servos:
cheap servos=unreliable gear tolerance, they wear easily
When setup a plane first thing is to centre control surface where your servo centres using the actual tx/rx and not servo testers. Different brands tx & servo centre at different pulse widths. After that limit servo max movement on the tx and make sure you don't bind the servo at max deflection
If something doesn't feel right it probably isn't, check the linkages for wear, stripped gears, case cracked, even in epp planes use metal gear servo.
digital servo work at high speed refresh rates, analog don't and as result they jitter
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 13, 2014, 06:10 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Parts for sale.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2302678
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:50 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
904 Posts
Gonna ask what I hope is a basic question regarding blowback and how to identify it because I could be misunderstanding it. I see plenty of examples of where a crash happened and then realized that it was blowback. Short of crashing what should one look for to identify when this is happening?
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:09 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,557 Posts
One obvious clue for aileron blowback is if your roll rate goes down as your speed goes up. Same principal applies to other surfaces. But perhaps there's an easier way to tell- I'm watching to see what others say too.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen