Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by Will971
Australia, NSW, Hunters Hill
Joined May 2014
83 Posts
Discussion
Best way to balance props

Hi, I was just wondering what the best method is of balancing carbon fibre props for a multirotor? I'm not sure wether I should sand the trailing edge of the prop or add tape (where abouts do you add it?)
The props are 14 x 5.5 carbon fibre. Any help would be great!
Will971 is offline Find More Posts by Will971
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
13,812 Posts
About balancing.

Also, scroll down to bottom of page and have a look at the Similar Threads section.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Aug 21, 2015, 08:50 AM
Joined May 2014
83 Posts
Thanks for that, but I cant seem to find any guides for carbon blades. Most blades people are balancing are plastic or wood.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,506 Posts
For carbon props, I take the sharp edges off with a bit of abrasive paper, then balance by spraying the rear of the lighter blade with light coats of either hair lacquer or clear lacquer of some type. You need to make the lighter blade slightly heavier than it needs to be, to allow for the solvents to flash off. If you go too far with the lacquer, it's easy enough to remove a little with abrasive paper.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Aug 23, 2015, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
19,842 Posts
I have a Top Flite portable prop balancer permanently mounted on a piece of 1 x 6 that is about 12" long and setting nearby.

And all the rolls of vinyl 1/2" electrical tape, transparent package sealing tape, and 1/4" wide adhesive backed lead tape are all resting on the board.

With the prop horizontal the light blade comes up and I lightly stick a piece of too large transparent tape on the widest part of the light blade and snip bits off until the prop will stay horizontal. The I put the tape on the back cutting and stacking if necessary so as to not overhand or wrap the blade.

When I am real close on the weight I can move the piece of tape nearer the tip or hub for the final location that give it a steady horizontal.

The transparent tape works for most props but really bad one will get some of the vinyl electrical tape (it is heavier or course).

Then I put the prop vertical and let go and it's rotation shows me the heavy side of the hub. I have a few pre-cut lengths (long enough to span the hub between the blades) of the lead tape laying there and I put one on the light side of the hub. I trim that if it is too much or add another layer and trim if it is a really bad.

The tape on the blade and hub is pressed down and smoothed after the prop comes off the balancer. And I never have any problems with the tape falling off in use.

The basics of the balancing process are described in this document but I don't ever sand prop blades as they describe there, I always use tape.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...structions.pdf

When I see a prop with a dinged tip I usually use sandpaper to smooth and round the tip and then check the balance again.

My motor and prop testing setup has the motors rigidly mounted to a pivoting mount moves to provide thrust readings. The motor mount easily moved and if a motor or prop is out of balance it is very obvious from the vibrations. And I don't let that continue and all my props either were in balance or have had balancing weight added.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2014
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I have a Top Flite portable prop balancer permanently mounted on a piece of 1 x 6 that is about 12" long and setting nearby.

And all the rolls of vinyl 1/2" electrical tape, transparent package sealing tape, and 1/4" wide adhesive backed lead tape are all resting on the board.

With the prop horizontal the light blade comes up and I lightly stick a piece of too large transparent tape on the widest part of the light blade and snip bits off until the prop will stay horizontal. The I put the tape on the back cutting and stacking if necessary so as to not overhand or wrap the blade.

When I am real close on the weight I can move the piece of tape nearer the tip or hub for the final location that give it a steady horizontal.

The transparent tape works for most props but really bad one will get some of the vinyl electrical tape (it is heavier or course).

Then I put the prop vertical and let go and it's rotation shows me the heavy side of the hub. I have a few pre-cut lengths (long enough to span the hub between the blades) of the lead tape laying there and I put one on the light side of the hub. I trim that if it is too much or add another layer and trim if it is a really bad.

The tape on the blade and hub is pressed down and smoothed after the prop comes off the balancer. And I never have any problems with the tape falling off in use.

The basics of the balancing process are described in this document but I don't ever sand prop blades as they describe there, I always use tape.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...structions.pdf

When I see a prop with a dinged tip I usually use sandpaper to smooth and round the tip and then check the balance again.

My motor and prop testing setup has the motors rigidly mounted to a pivoting mount moves to provide thrust readings. The motor mount easily moved and if a motor or prop is out of balance it is very obvious from the vibrations. And I don't let that continue and all my props either were in balance or have had balancing weight added.

Jack
Exactly what I was looking for,
Will start balancing my props tonight.
Thanks a lot for everyones help, very much appreciated!
Will